Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports > Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your non saxo in this forum.

Old 25th December 2012, 21:03   #1
Jack-Cooley
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI's/Half a turbo project
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Jack-Cooley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Jacks Cossack Grey S2 Turbo

So, after a small migration from over the pond(106 oc) i've decided i might as well set up my progress blog here and do some lovely copy and pasting for the 106oc since im apparently not allowed to post a "item buying only" blog at the moment. and apparently my blog over there is "a complete joke"... probably because its the most active thread on that dead forum anyhow.

so rant over.

The plan is to build a 300-350bhp(not quite bothered really) boosted 106 build. rickyp offered me something i couldnt resist. a full build for his "demo" line at next to no labour charge, few hundred his was just for his time.

so i started to accumulate parts currently i have the following, ill not bother with too many pictures really as they seem to take so much room up!

Shell (Kinda, rickys holding it and spraying it any colour, choices personally will be either Cobalt Blue(106), Imperial Blue(Ford Focus mk1), Arden Blue(Corsa). - £750 will be the cost, i wont add this to the final amount until i actually hand the cash over to rickyp.

Pictures to date, i wont post them all as i'm a massive picture whore as you'll probably see soon enough

I do have a quaife diff but a friend is collecting that sometime in the next 2 weeks so that will be replaced with a gripper diff.

Last edited by Jack-Cooley; 9th October 2013 at 23:49.
Jack-Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 21:04   #2
Jack-Cooley
Frequent Poster

...Parts List & Prices...

Shell Fully Sprayed in xxxxxxx Colour -
Rear Carbon Diffuser from a golf time attack car - £40
GT2860RS Garrett Turbo - £550
BE4r Berlingo Gearbox - £80
Atspeed V1 Driveshafts - £360
Helix 4-paddle clutch - £120
Solid Vibratechnics ECU Side Engine Mount - £50
Custom Alloy fuel tank with baffles and a custom swirl pot fitted directly below the fuel tank inc. fuel lines - £150
Polished Rocker covers with twin breathers - £40
Mocal catch tank with braided lines and fittings to match above covers - £40
Oil Pressure & Temp Guages inc. Sandwich plates - £10
Kent Vernier Pullies - £0 (Taken off my previous engine so... £free)
Blue Carpet & Seatbelts - £75

Cost to date: £1555

Last edited by Jack-Cooley; 25th December 2012 at 21:08.
Old 25th December 2012, 21:44   #3
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

You will want to change those driveshafts to something better. You won't get more than a few thousand miles from those cv joints even if you're lucky at that power. What mods are you planning to run to get 300+ on a gt2860rs? You are operating way outside its island at over 300hp so it's not ideal.

Also, a pressed clutch cover cannot take 300hp - you will want to change to lug drive. Don't believe if people tell you otherwise...

Rest of parts list look good I look forward to seeing more
Old 25th December 2012, 21:48   #4
AzzAW93
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): peugeot 106 VTR
AzzAW93 is on a distinguished road

get harnesses blue seat belts will just look silly in such a build imo haha
AzzAW93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 22:00   #5
Jack-Cooley
Frequent Poster

Default Boosted 106 Project Ft. Rickyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
You will want to change those driveshafts to something better. You won't get more than a few thousand miles from those cv joints even if you're lucky at that power. What mods are you planning to run to get 300+ on a gt2860rs? You are operating way outside its island at over 300hp so it's not ideal.

Also, a pressed clutch cover cannot take 300hp - you will want to change to lug drive. Don't believe if people tell you otherwise...

Rest of parts list look good I look forward to seeing more

Dunno about parts pal most of its gunna be a rickyp engine build and we'll just see what power it makes mate.

What's up with the clutch? I'm told the 4 paddle will be okay for some low boost(200hp) road use then I can change it when the boost is upped when she goes fully track?

As for the shafts colin himself told me they never snapped a shaft in the 400+ hp one they have only doing drag 1/4 miles. Track/road isn't quite as harsh.

What shafts do you recommend??

Also what do you mean the gt2860rs is operating outside isn't island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzAW93 View Post
get harnesses blue seat belts will just look silly in such a build imo haha

Not running buckets mate nor a full cage till she's fully tracked after then a grand per seat and some nice harness' is what'll happen anyway

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old 25th December 2012, 22:04   #6
AzzAW93
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): peugeot 106 VTR
AzzAW93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Cooley View Post
Dunno about parts pal most of its gunna be a rickyp engine build and we'll just see what power it makes mate.

What's up with the clutch? I'm told the 4 paddle will be okay for some low boost(200hp) road use then I can change it when the boost is upped when she goes fully track?

As for the shafts colin himself told me they never snapped a shaft in the 400+ hp one they have only doing drag 1/4 miles. Track/road isn't quite as harsh.

What shafts do you recommend??

Also what do you mean the gt2860rs is operating outside isn't island?

Not running buckets mate nor a full cage till she's fully tracked after then a grand per seat and some nice harness' is what'll happen anyway

oh right i didnt know this was seeing the road haha i assumed it would be getting buckets straight away

and clutch wise the plate will be fine but the cover wont be up for the job i what ross is saying
AzzAW93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AzzAW93 For This Useful Post:
Old 25th December 2012, 22:07   #7
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

The early atspeed shafts run saxo automatic cv joints rated at 70bhp or thereabouts. I've smashed 2, and Titch three, all with less than 1k miles, and all on the road (arguably harder on cv's than the track as you get wheel slip then traction on uneven surface). Their new shafts are much better.

Ref the turbo, I mean it is operating well outside its efficiency island at those power levels. You're generating as much heat as power...

The clutch is fine for 200hp, but that's not what I read above so apologies for the misinterpretation its not the clutch plate I'm saying isn't man enough, it's the cover.
Old 25th December 2012, 22:57   #8
Jack-Cooley
Frequent Poster

Quote:
The early atspeed shafts run saxo automatic cv joints rated at 70bhp or thereabouts. I've smashed 2, and Titch three, all with less than 1k miles, and all on the road (arguably harder on cv's than the track as you get wheel slip then traction on uneven surface). Their new shafts are much better.

Ref the turbo, I mean it is operating well outside its efficiency island at those power levels. You're generating as much heat as power...

The clutch is fine for 200hp, but that's not what I read above so apologies for the misinterpretation its not the clutch plate I'm saying isn't man enough, it's the cover.

Soo, I'd be better off selling the V1's and buying some V2's? Might do that.. I'll message someone I know who wanted them see what they wanna do about it.

And how is it? I know loads that run the GT28 ? What else would you recommend? Anything bigger is too much lag is it not

Old 25th December 2012, 23:17   #9
jones91
Established Member

Car(s): Jdm Dc2 Integra
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
jones91 is on a distinguished road

Looks very impressive so far jack A gt2860 won't be far off 300bhp anyway.... I'd of thought it would of been good for 280 pretty easy at least, if you want over 300, I'd look at either possibly a gt30 or a td05

What are you doing in terms of Headwork, cams, inlet, boost pipe size, and what exhaust are you going to run/who's it made by?

Impressive so far though mate
Old 25th December 2012, 23:22   #10
tweeqd
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX GT 16v turbo 6 speed with NOS 205 gti6 E 320
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
tweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nice

Ive got a vhf35 turbo on a customers 16v lump, thats on boost just after 3k and makes over 300 bhp
tweeqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 23:29   #11
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Gt28rs flow well over 300hp so don't worry about that. There are other options but a 28rs isn't a bad choice In any way
Old 25th December 2012, 23:58   #12
Rossp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
Gt28rs flow well over 300hp so don't worry about that. There are other options but a 28rs isn't a bad choice In any way
Turbo dynamics / cr turbos disagree on the tu engines. You can see on mine it's completely maxed out efficiency wise at 330 ish. This is at sensible losses of course - 300atw or there abouts...

If you want to stay garrett, the gtx's are excellent turbos. A gtx2860 may suit you better. IMHO of course.

Last edited by Ross; 26th December 2012 at 00:00.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 00:04   #13
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Turbo dynamics / cr turbos disagree on the tu engines. You can see on mine it's completely maxed out efficiency wise at 330 ish. This is at sensible losses of course - 300atw or there abouts...

If you want to stay garrett, the gtx's are excellent turbos. A gtx2860 may suit you better. IMHO of course.
What difference does it make what engines it on?? Air is air.. It's not like the TU's require a huge amount of boost to make the power. I said this turbo could flow over well over 300 hp and they can.. It's been done dozens of times.
I didn't say they were the best choice.
They are certainly not a bad turbo to use for 300+hp.
Old 26th December 2012, 00:11   #14
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeqd View Post
Ive got a vhf35 turbo on a customers 16v lump, thats on boost just after 3k and makes over 300 bhp
Can get a one in very nice shape for about £300 as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 00:14   #15
Rossp
Super Moderator

Because a gt28 will make 300 comfortably on a 2l engine. The mass flow rate on a 1600 is significantly lower isn't it. Yes it's been done "plenty of times". I've seen "plenty" of supposed 300atf tu engines. I note with interest many are often <250atw too... I seem to be the only one finding that interesting...

Same with the clutch. Several people say the paddle and sprung clutch is fine at 300hp. That dutch guy even claims 400hp on one.

We agree on them not being a bad turbo for that power though. I found them so good I bought a second after going larger and regretting it my current hybrid is loosely based on a gt28 also - loosely. I'm a fan

Last edited by Ross; 26th December 2012 at 00:16.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 00:22   #16
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ross of a 2 litre is making 300hp and a 1.6 is making 300hp they are flowing the same amount of air.... Maybe the 2litre is having to do less 'work' to achieve this but that's not a problem.. Just more boost is needed

Some of the fastest fwd drag cars don't bother making their engines more efficient because it's just as easy and cheaper to wind the boost up to 40+psi.. This is indeed on the opposite end of the scale but the principle is the same.
I agree with the fist thing you mentioned, the turbo will be operating outside of it's efficiency island but that doesn't mean it won't make the power, it will just have to do more 'work' to get there
Old 26th December 2012, 00:26   #17
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Also with the clutch's.. It has nothing to do with HP but torque, this is down to what the engine is revving to.. If you have 300hp@10,000rpm this clutch will be fine however if your making 300hp@4000rpm this clutch is no use.. Torque, can't beat it
Old 26th December 2012, 00:32   #18
Rossp
Super Moderator

I think we're "arguing" the same point but worded differently.

I would rather run (as I'm sure you would) a turbo at 14psi to get 300hp than 28psi to get 300hp for obvious reasons. And the gt2860's just don't like boost above about 20psi - you get diminishing returns. So yes, whilst the 1600 and the 2l both make 300hp, the 1600 turbo is working harder to shift that air. Are we going round in circles?

The gt30 made 300hp at 9psi iirc on my engine - but was a fucking dog. Screw that. The gtx's have filled that void somewhat

I stand by my original statement. 300-350 hp, ie, a "real" 270-320atw, the gt28 is not the best choice any more, and you won't get 350hp from one. Well, perhaps on lollers vs rollers - as gibbo would put it
Old 26th December 2012, 00:40   #19
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Perhaps, you don't work out what HP a turbo can make by WHP or bhp@wheels. No-one does that. The BHP unless engine dyno'd will be worked out differently depending on what rollers it's on as you know so cannot really say this turbo will make 300@wheels or that turbo 250@wheels etc

Also, it's actually better in terms of performance to run a smaller turbo with more boost than a larger turbo with less boost... Check out out mates in wrc/touring cars for that. That gives you better torque.
Old 26th December 2012, 00:43   #20
Rossp
Super Moderator

Agreed. But they don't have the same reliability concerns

Turbo f1 cars running mega boost etc - I do know what you mean