Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 19th January 2010, 19:11   #1
jamdan

jamdan is on a distinguished road
Default Key stuck in ignition barrel

Hi, my car is a 1999 Saxo 1.1 and the key is jammed in the ignition barrel. I was unable to turn off the engine and had to stall the car. Not sure whether this is related but last week my heater/blower stopped working, and then today for some reason they started working again, but when I came to park the car the ignition key was totally jammed leaving me unable to turn off the engine.
I have been told by Citreon that I need a 'full new lock set' which I cannot afford. Is their a cheaper way i.e. 2nd hand ignition barrel, and if so how do i remove the barrel whilst the key is jammed?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....!
jamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 21:21   #2
moody989
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr/ golf gti (slow)
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
moody989 is on a distinguished road

you can buy new ignition barrels from eurocarparts.com for around £100 but iv not a clue how ur gonna get the old one out. sorry
moody989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 23:49   #3
Aaron
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): ..............
iTrader Score: 32 (100%)
Aaron is a splendid one to beholdAaron is a splendid one to beholdAaron is a splendid one to beholdAaron is a splendid one to beholdAaron is a splendid one to beholdAaron is a splendid one to behold

go scrapyard
remove lower dash bit,where the key barrel is.
youll need two flat screwdrivers to remove the barrel.i think the key has to be in the barrel to remove it?
there 3 main plugs off the key barrel. 1 brown,1black,1whitey/grey. remove them.
remove barrel with key.

Removing your key from your barrel. i just snapped the key in the barrel then removed my old barrel and fitted the new one from scrapyard
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 23:53   #4
stormjojo1982
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): 1.4 furio white
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
stormjojo1982 is on a distinguished road

had this problem too, but watched a guy on youtube tap his a few times with a screwdriver and it worked!
stormjojo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 08:41   #5
savo
Frequent Poster

Car(s): BMW 328i Coupe with M3 diff
savo is on a distinguished road

The ignition switch is gone...same thing happened mine. I kept trying to force the key round and it eventually did but the ignition switch was fucked. Guy from the AA said 2 get a push button start fitted cause citroen would be looking a fortune for new barrel and coding the keys.
savo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 20:22   #6
nads2030
L-plater

Car(s): 1999 1.4 westcoast Mango colour
nads2030 is on a distinguished road

Regards ignition barrel.
If you can get the ignition barrel and cables out from under the column intact, (which I have done ) you will see a small torx screw which holds the white plastic part and cables to the metal part of the ignition barrel.
Unscrew the torx screw and seperate the two pieces about half an inch. Then you should be able to lift the plastic part away from the metal part of the barrel. You should then be able to turn the key in the ignition barrel again. When mine went, there were some rotating bits in the plastic part which had melted and fused together, which then stopped the key from turning. I went to local scrapyard and picked up just the white plastic part and cables. Cost me a fiver and I did'nt need to change the key.
PS. When seperating the two parts, be gentle, there is a tiny spring in there which can jump out. ( I lost the spring the first time I did this job ).
It may sound difficult but with patience it can be done, and it is a lot cheaper than new barrel and key, then getting the key coded to the car.
Good luck
nads2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 11:51   #7
halpal93

Car(s): Saxo Furio(own now) Pug 206
halpal93 is on a distinguished road

this was a great help my 1.4 2000 saxo has just done this and is a right pain in the ass to get out! cheers everyone
halpal93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:57   #8
superCREG
Regular Poster
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
superCREG is on a distinguished road

I had that, pain in the arse cos it was fiddly lol
superCREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 16:38   #9
redadair85
L-plater
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): ford fiesta zetec, use to have vtr
redadair85 is on a distinguished road

exact same thing happened to mine 99 vtr, had to get barrel replaced, removed the chip from old key and put in new ones, battery was fucked tho but fired up after that
redadair85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 20:16   #10
citroen_saxo_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Vectra sri 2.6 v6
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
citroen_saxo_vtr is on a distinguished road

Isnt this when the barrel burns out at the bakc and melts? it happened to my mtes and it shorted his powering steering, rear window demister, blower everything so his dad put all new locks in and ignition barrel and wired the power steering up so it would work soon as the ignition was on 1 click, hes a citroen technition and said its a common fault??? meh dunno i have been lucky so far then lol.
Old 30th June 2021, 10:05   #11
mrtnd

mrtnd is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old question, but someone might have the same problem now, so i can give a tip. One reason could be that you accidentally moved the steering wheel and it locked up and thats why the key cant turn to ignition. What you have to do is gently move the steering wheel so you can turn the key.
mrtnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrtnd For This Useful Post:
Old 30th June 2021, 13:05   #12
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

LOL, that's driving school stuff and the thread is 10 years old
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 16:24   #13
mrtnd

mrtnd is on a distinguished road

True, but dont expect everyone to know this, especially if they are fresh drivers lol
mrtnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 17:30   #14
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Mind you good luck getting some motorway training in the UK, so someone being stuck because he doesn't know how to deal with a Neimann wouldn't surprise me.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote