Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 17th January 2017, 19:03   #1
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road
Default Caliper rebuilding help please

So gone got 2 rear calipers for me saxo due to one being totally fucked after having inspection done and told ones cracked and others bad and will fail MOT. Advised that they do still function but no leaks in it and will last but for function of handbrake etc is the cause of it being slack and hardly much on it.

SO with regards to the ones got from scrap yead took apart and found seals are split and also a lot of rust on the cylinders that go though.

I am using this picture as an illustration.

Where I have highlighted in red boxes the bolts that go though these cylinders run party smooth however I have taken out and have a lot of surface rust and also where the seal is on them are rusted bad too looking inside they have groves are these meant to have rubbers in them as I see none? Are these important on them or are these to just secure bolts going though the caliper and bolt to car?

From checking the Pistons these actually seem good condition no ware on them one seal is kinda split others fine and little rust where seals are that gonna clean up.

Some advise on above regarding highlighted areas thx in advance.

Last edited by DaCrazyOne; 17th January 2017 at 19:14.
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 19:13   #2
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

First off I never buy second hand standards breaks especially from a scrapers. You are looking at £30-£40 each for a refurb kit if you have all the stuff to refurb them with.
just remember if it's pitted it will cause issues such as seized calliper and soft/hard pedal.

These will sell you a refurb kit http://www.biggred.co.uk/ call them though they are very very knowledgeable.

Last edited by Bedford126; 17th January 2017 at 19:18.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 22:12   #3
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
First off I never buy second hand standards breaks especially from a scrapers. You are looking at £30-£40 each for a refurb kit if you have all the stuff to refurb them with.
just remember if it's pitted it will cause issues such as seized calliper and soft/hard pedal.

These will sell you a refurb kit http://www.biggred.co.uk/ call them though they are very very knowledgeable.
Have most the tools to do so hence why bought from scrappers did test brakes before grabbing them and are working fine handbrake was on solid put hand brake off and also tested all working little rust on em but stripped down just need to get the kit.

And what are you referring to pitted ? you referring to the main piston as this is all smooth and clean no signs of ware on em. Will get some pictures up shortly
Old 17th January 2017, 22:24   #4
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
Have most the tools to do so hence why bought from scrappers did test brakes before grabbing them and are working fine handbrake was on solid put hand brake off and also tested all working little rust on em but stripped down just need to get the kit.

And what are you referring to pitted ? you referring to the main piston as this is all smooth and clean no signs of ware on em. Will get some pictures up shortly
The sliders, if they are pitted they won't move freeley so will bind, if I were you I would strip them down and get them sodium blasted and start with full fresh castings.

Last edited by Bedford126; 17th January 2017 at 22:27.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 22:51   #5
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Just got the sliders out not a nice sight but they where running smooth. Looking at them might need replacing. Waiuting for stupid phone to upload images lol
Old 17th January 2017, 23:03   #6
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Seems ok

Old 18th January 2017, 12:15   #7
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

I would get a set of sliders mate, then a full seal kit with graphite grease. Call bigg red up, might be cheaper and safer to get them to rebuild them with the kit.
Old 18th January 2017, 13:29   #8
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

yep, get a seal and slider kit and refresh them.

did you check that the nipples are free? don't do anything before checking them as it may be a waste of time.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 20:01   #9
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Stripped everything down all free on them nipps are little surface rust to them but gonna get new. Just ordered full kit for calipers for £25 for sliders seals and rubbers for em
Old 19th January 2017, 20:29   #10
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

So new sliders arived just one question in mind what way are these ment to go round and postion to as one end has thick lip other is thin
Old 19th January 2017, 21:18   #11
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
So new sliders arived just one question in mind what way are these ment to go round and postion to as one end has thick lip other is thin
What way did you take them out?
Old 19th January 2017, 21:47   #12
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

The thicker lip faces the same way as the piston mate, recently rebuilt mine (plus you can see it in your first post haha). if your pistons don't need replacing just get two kits with all of the rubber seals and replace them all and a set of new sliders, the ebay kits are fine for the seals, not had any problems with them anyways.

Its a good idea to take a few photos before you dismantle everything then you can take a quick look if you forget where anything goes.

Last edited by Ben_SaxoForte; 19th January 2017 at 21:50.
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 22:03   #13
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
The thicker lip faces the same way as the piston mate, recently rebuilt mine (plus you can see it in your first post haha). if your pistons don't need replacing just get two kits with all of the rubber seals and replace them all and a set of new sliders, the ebay kits are fine for the seals, not had any problems with them anyways.

Its a good idea to take a few photos before you dismantle everything then you can take a quick look if you forget where anything goes.
Pistons are fine and clean tidy noware on them at all just sliders fucked.

Ones I got are from brakes international as they done me proud in past for stuff. The sliders are branded and by Bremtech so guessing their good.
Old 19th January 2017, 22:06   #14
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Pistons are fine and clean tidy noware on them at all just sliders fucked.

Ones I got are from brakes international as they done me proud in past for stuff. The sliders are branded and by Bremtech so guessing their good.
My bad didn't read the whole thread didn't realise you already got them lol, should be good then
Old 19th January 2017, 22:23   #15
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

This looking for for pins right way round.

Got a little more cleaning up to do am anal about shit being clean lol.
Old 19th January 2017, 22:36   #16
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Look good sliders are ok wouldn't bother cleaning them too much unless you're painting them cos they'll crust back up in 5 minutes lol
Old 19th January 2017, 23:19   #17
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
Look good sliders are ok wouldn't bother cleaning them too much unless you're painting them cos they'll crust back up in 5 minutes lol
Amount of crap that has come off them am shocked to get to orignal paint on em in most places. Seem to have a rubber on one being a fucker to slot in and stay the rubbers am guessing are to protect against water getting in or are these meant create a vacuum too to be air type tight. All this is new to me but fast learner. Am wanting to maybe change and do me self but I not got 2 people to bleed system after lol.

Am tempted to stick some breaded brake lines in to are these worth the money to have compared to orignal ones? Sorry for all questions wanting to make sure shits not gonna brake down on me in a long time to come so tempted to stick some in. Just a quick one Ben you wouldn't know what max size disc I could put in at all on standard calipers that I have? along with pads?
Old 20th January 2017, 10:05   #18
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

Get an ezibleed kit, best £20 you'll spend. Makes bleeding brakes so quick and easy to do by yourself.
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 13:35   #19
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
Get an ezibleed kit, best £20 you'll spend. Makes bleeding brakes so quick and easy to do by yourself.
Had a look at that kit decided to get different one with air tight pipe on it with ball in piping and container and just fill up at the top might consider to get the kit above another time as trying save money where can out the budget I have set aside to upgrade and mod car. Can simply fill up from top and just press pedal n check for air and color of fluid
Old 21st January 2017, 18:15   #20
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Amount of crap that has come off them am shocked to get to orignal paint on em in most places. Seem to have a rubber on one being a fucker to slot in and stay the rubbers am guessing are to protect against water getting in or are these meant create a vacuum too to be air type tight. All this is new to me but fast learner. Am wanting to maybe change and do me self but I not got 2 people to bleed system after lol.

Am tempted to stick some breaded brake lines in to are these worth the money to have compared to orignal ones? Sorry for all questions wanting to make sure shits not gonna brake down on me in a long time to come so tempted to stick some in. Just a quick one Ben you wouldn't know what max size disc I could put in at all on standard calipers that I have? along with pads?
Had the same problem with some of the rubber seals, just try to clean it out a bit more and refit and should be ok. you could maybe try putting a small amount of sealant or something around the edge to help if you still have problems but they should hold in on their own.

braided brake lines are a nice upgrade but don't expect any huge changes in the braking performance. As for the discs and pads I don't think you can put larger discs without switching the calipers but in my opinion its a bit of a waste of time on the rear, save the money towards upgrading the front brakes if you want better stopping power.