Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 28th June 2017, 11:27   #121
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

the saving is the doing the shaft yourself! i may pester you to do one for me when my MA blows up..

Check out tweeqd's posts on the conversions as he is one of a few who gets the box to sit level.. he even managed to get a gti6 6 speed attached to his be for the ax!
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 16:54   #122
robster247
Established Member

Car(s): Satin black furio
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
robster247 is on a distinguished road

Haha I may start making a kit if I get it all sorted fairly easy . But the shaft should be easily done on the lathe .

Yeah I've seen how to level up the box , but I still don't think its bang on in a saxo bay . Think my mounts have come today so may post up some photos tonight
robster247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 19:29   #123
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

sounds good... I know a fair few of the turbo guys specs and a lot are running MA on standard clutch or a cheap ebay clutch (its a time bomb waiting to happen)

If its a cheap kit / shaft and useful information I'm sure you will get a lot of messages
Old 29th June 2017, 20:29   #124
robster247
Established Member

So been cracking on with the be4 conversion. Decided it was a wise idea to buy some mounts from atspeed racing as i could not be arsed figuring out where the top gearbox mount should be .

So the atspeed mounts are on the car now but have had numerous problems when tightening the torque link to allow clearance for the drivers shaft .

Down pipe fouled on the bottom cross member
External wastegate on the same place

I've since notched the front to allow 5mm of room for the down pipe, and I'm going to have the wastegate coming straight up out the bonnet as it will be a lot easier than messing on underneath.

Drivers shaft has been cut down and ready to weld up tomorrow, it's going to be on my mind all the time but I'm hoping my welding will be good enough for the 300bhp which I'm aiming for.

Hopefully get the car done by next weekend as there's a straight liners event local to me which I fancy a go at
Old 16th July 2017, 16:57   #125
robster247
Established Member

Just a slight update , have got the car back on the road running the be4r box instead of the chocolate ma gearbox .

From start to finish the conversion cost me £350 minus the Atb diff obviously. And that's including the atspeed mounts which were £200 .

Currently running the standard diff which isn't as bad as I thought for road use . And gear ratios don't seem too bad for road use either with the 200bhp its running.

But the best news is the car is now booked back in for full power map on the 5 th August when I get back from holiday.

Videos will be posted when she's back on the rollers .
Old 16th July 2017, 17:34   #126
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Oohhh exciting mate the end is near
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 17:47   #127
robster247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Oohhh exciting mate the end is near
Hahah yeah the end of the engine you mean ...
Old 16th July 2017, 17:49   #128
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster247 View Post
Hahah yeah the end of the engine you mean ...
Hahah noooo it will be fine mate deffo a little rocket
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 21:20   #129
robster247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Hahah noooo it will be fine mate deffo a little rocket
I hope it will make a big difference .

We are going to control the boost through a solenoid and the dta Ecu so should make it a lot more drivable. The way it is now is rather bad for road use as the power is either on or off .

Especially going from a naturally aspirated car (st150) to the turbo saxo makes me look like I can't drive as if it's not in boost it doesn't go very well .

Other than that I'm happy with the car and the way it goes round corners , definitely brought back memories from the last one I have owned.
Old 18th July 2017, 08:16   #130
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
I hope it will make a big difference .

We are going to control the boost through a solenoid and the dta Ecu so should make it a lot more drivable. The way it is now is rather bad for road use as the power is either on or off .

Especially going from a naturally aspirated car (st150) to the turbo saxo makes me look like I can't drive as if it's not in boost it doesn't go very well .

Other than that I'm happy with the car and the way it goes round corners , definitely brought back memories from the last one I have owned.
my advice for ,what its worth --fit a 4lb actuator --then you can control boost right
remember the actuator spring rating is the lowest pressure at which you can control the boost pressure down too
then with good control you should have a very civilised car through out its boost range ,especially if its a gt 28 which won,t fully spool till 36-3800 rpm and change in power is dramatic once it spools up with 7psi spring and usual set-up low comp
eg gt28@3k =80bhp @wheels
gt28@3800-180bhp @wheels
not god for a wet day or track use

Last edited by axsaxoman; 18th July 2017 at 08:19.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 19:05   #131
robster247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
my advice for ,what its worth --fit a 4lb actuator --then you can control boost right
remember the actuator spring rating is the lowest pressure at which you can control the boost pressure down too
then with good control you should have a very civilised car through out its boost range ,especially if its a gt 28 which won,t fully spool till 36-3800 rpm and change in power is dramatic once it spools up with 7psi spring and usual set-up low comp
eg gt28@3k =80bhp @wheels
gt28@3800-180bhp @wheels
not god for a wet day or track use
Thanks for the heads up . That's what we are doing except using the 8psi spring which as you said will be the lowest boost .

I'm surprised at how well it pulls with just 8psi even didn't drop that far behind my mates focus rs on a long uphill pull .

I don't think I'll tell him I'm taking it back for more boost and see what his reaction is .
Old 20th July 2017, 12:42   #132
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Weight is a huge factor also rob.

If you are using the standard actuator you can set some preload to lower spool times as those quoted on a GT28 are over exaggerated.. You can also fit an ever lower spring of 5psi and with good boost control have an even spread not an all or nothing hit.

See henrys car for what he has done
Old 20th July 2017, 21:12   #133
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

Not forgetting the effects of exhaust manifold pressure on boost control at higher rpm (boost decay)
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 08:23   #134
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
Weight is a huge factor also rob.

If you are using the standard actuator you can set some preload to lower spool times as those quoted on a GT28 are over exaggerated.. You can also fit an ever lower spring of 5psi and with good boost control have an even spread not an all or nothing hit.

See henrys car for what he has done
I am merely quoting what I have seen many times on the dyno
with gt28--
lets face it they are stone age units meant for a car with much larger capacity engine --but used in the first instance cos they could get them cheap --
the evo /scoobie type turbo would have always been a better choice for a saxo --but no one made an ex manifold for them and the dp engineering manifold is all about "bling"
no need what so ever for anything other than a simple "log" type manifold " which would give far more space under the bonnet and keep temps down .you never see a tubular manifold on an OEM vehicle --why?
cos they don,t need them and they distort over time and rot away

Last edited by axsaxoman; 21st July 2017 at 08:28.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 12:44   #135
robster247
Established Member

I do have a couple of spare springs which came with the external wastegate so I may take them on the day as one is really soft compared to the 8 psi one I have in at the moment.

As for the turbo I know it's far too big but as you said they are easy to get hold of and are cheap , plus I didn't want to start cutting up a nicely made manifold so just got on with it so to speak.

I didn't have much experience on engines apart from my old motor cross bike and that was a two stroke. I'm surprised it all even works and drives as I have done it all myself that alone has been an achievement haha
Old 21st July 2017, 14:15   #136
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
I am merely quoting what I have seen many times on the dyno
with gt28--
lets face it they are stone age units meant for a car with much larger capacity engine --but used in the first instance cos they could get them cheap --
the evo /scoobie type turbo would have always been a better choice for a saxo --but no one made an ex manifold for them and the dp engineering manifold is all about "bling"
no need what so ever for anything other than a simple "log" type manifold " which would give far more space under the bonnet and keep temps down .you never see a tubular manifold on an OEM vehicle --why?
cos they don,t need them and they distort over time and rot away
True the main reason is the cheapness but they are useable if you know how.. but I agree a lot of people can not set them up correctly.

I use a cast manifold as I don't need the bling and also find it a waste for a low or mid range build.

Going from a GT1752 to a GT2871 Potato will give me some good information but personally feel the GT2554R is the ideal turbo imo.

Last edited by AdamH; 1st August 2017 at 13:03.
Old 21st July 2017, 14:17   #137
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
I do have a couple of spare springs which came with the external wastegate so I may take them on the day as one is really soft compared to the 8 psi one I have in at the moment.

As for the turbo I know it's far too big but as you said they are easy to get hold of and are cheap , plus I didn't want to start cutting up a nicely made manifold so just got on with it so to speak.

I didn't have much experience on engines apart from my old motor cross bike and that was a two stroke. I'm surprised it all even works and drives as I have done it all myself that alone has been an achievement haha

I would strongly recommend take as many spares as you can and different options for spring rates etc for the wastegate control and dumpvalve. I take it the 8psi one is 8-11psi range so it starts to open around 8psi and fully open by 11ish? (test it with a pump or compressor and see when it opens)

These engines are simple and great to learn on rob so credit that you have done it is well deserved.
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:55   #138
robster247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
I would strongly recommend take as many spares as you can and different options for spring rates etc for the wastegate control and dumpvalve. I take it the 8psi one is 8-11psi range so it starts to open around 8psi and fully open by 11ish? (test it with a pump or compressor and see when it opens)

These engines are simple and great to learn on rob so credit that you have done it is well deserved.
I will do as I've still got all the bits and bobs I took with me last time it was mapped .

The wastegate starts to open at 6-7 and is making a fair amount of noise at 8 psi and it never gets above 8.1 psi according to the turbosmart eboost which I'm currently using as an expensive boost gauge haha
Old 1st September 2017, 12:30   #139
robster247
Established Member

So had the saxo back on the rollers on Saturday and all went great , the car produced 260 bhp and 250 ft lbs of torque at 15 psi of boost .

We were going to 300 bhp but my injector duty cycle is at 80% and my mapper doesn't like going over 85% for some reason . Also the alternator decided to stop charging as soon as he finished the last pull .

So I got a new alternator put on last night and took it out , what a difference it's made ! Pulls like a train to say the least .

Next step is a set of 630cc injectors and go back to reach my goal off 300bhp .

Not bad for a diy build ...
Old 1st September 2017, 12:38   #140
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

heat is probably cooking the alternator, had quite a few failures on the rally car I look after due to its proximity on the VTS bracket to the manifold, fitted a heatshield and a VTR mount and its dropped the alternator temps by about 90 degrees.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote