Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 6th December 2016, 15:34   #1
BackSheep
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR 1.6 8v
BackSheep is on a distinguished road
Default Black VTR (first car)

I know absolutely nothing about cars and have only been driving since May. Always loved Saxo's so was adamant I was buying one for my first car. Upon realising it was only a matter of an extra £300 on insurance for the 8v 1.6 VTR, I dropped the idea of the 1.1's and found one locally for around £500.

Owning a car and wanting to modify it as much as I do is going to be a hell of a learning curve, so bare with me!

She has around 120,000 miles on the clock, and as far as I'm aware she's in alright shape. Can't see any rust problems at the moment, but we'll see what I pick up the more I strip the car down as I go.

The first problem I had was the air filter.

Simple things, the clip holding the pipe in was useless and the breather pipe had been snapped - this was giving a nice 'juddering' motion when driving, sometimes proper fierce too. I've replaced the air filter with a new one all together, but exactly the same type as before. Had trouble connecting the oil breather as they just didn't go together, looked like I needed a different pipe or adapter or something?
If anyone cares to take 5 to enlighten me on what my options are with the oil breather that'd be cool!

The next problem I ran into was my backbox had come away from the exhuast pipe itself. Had a look and basically the clip had just well and truly deteriorated and crumbled away when I attempted to take it off.

New clip, and sorted - for now.

I was warned by a friend that I may need to replace the backbox soon - again not sure why, guessing all the crap that caused that bracket to go over time is also doing the same to the backbox though?
Sure as hell I can hear it worsening and even I can tell it's on its way out. Any suggestions on a new exhaust (aside from standard) would be appreciated, but not looking for anything too loud.

Of course I was always planning on upgrading the sound system, took a while to decide on what brand to go with as I wanted to keep everything the same, but landed on Sony.

Pretty self explanatory but I went with XS-XB130's for the doors and the XS-FB6920E's went on the parcel shelf. Also got given an old school Earthquake sub from my dad. Currently all powered by the XM-N1004. Again, real learning curve, touched base with a few friends cars over the past few years when helping them with their sound systems, but when it comes to picking the parts I had no idea whether they'd work well together, whether the amp would be enough to power them etc.
The sub is currently running through the rear output in the amp, with all speakers running out front.
Currently running off the stereo that came with the car, which is just some Sony thing, will drop the model number in here later. Not terrible but only has left and right out so it all pretty much goes into one when it gets to the amp.

Not the end product, but it's a start for the audio. Plan to get another amp for the sub as well as add some more extra speakers, as well as of course get a stereo that has a little more to it, front, rear, sub output etc.

---

A couple of weeks ago I'd realised a lovely (...) smell in the car, then later realised the passenger footwell was wet too. Thanks to a few older posts on this forum (and advice from the old man) I came to the conclusion the heater matrix was the problem. Finally found the time to buy and fit a replacement, which I did Sunday just gone.

Had to take the entire dash out to get to it, and I've gotta say that's the most time I've spent working on a car in one time. Took me the full day - but again with help from a few older posts on here and help from the old man, it's now back to working order!

Only got the one picture, this was taken shortly after the replacement heater matrix had been fitted.

---

Which brings me up to date pretty much. I'm half way through converting the sunroof to an electric motor, again using posts from this forum - going with the 306 motor. New cog is all in place on the motor just gotta' find the time to fit it in the car.

I want to change the mirrors to electric too - was hoping to find some VTS door looms to make the job easier when putting the cable through the doors, but we'll see what route I go as obviously (I think?) they're pretty hard to come by.

I was given the standard Saxo wheels when I bought the car, so I'm going to change them back to them at some point too.

Also thinking about changing the headlights and rearlights. One of the spotlights have a crack in them so will need to replace that too.

I have a few things I want to do aesthetically, but if anyone has any suggestions on what changes to make I'd be happy to hear them.
BackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 18:23   #2
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Easiest way to sort the breather is to get a brand new one from Citroen £6 then you want to cut the side off that goes to the air filter then you can use normal silicone hose to connect it with 2 hose clips or jubilee clips. Personally I fitted a oil catch tank and piped it into that.
Old 7th December 2016, 13:09   #3
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like some major progress to say you’ve only had the car a little over six months. Good luck with the build, I’m sure you’ll find loads of helpful people on here .
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 12:37   #4
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Black will always look better looked after when it's clean so that's a bonus plus you always have the cheap option of getting one panel painted at a time for cheap.
Old 11th December 2016, 22:22   #5
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
Easiest way to sort the breather is to get a brand new one from Citroen £6 then you want to cut the side off that goes to the air filter then you can use normal silicone hose to connect it with 2 hose clips or jubilee clips.
I'll be doing exactly this, sounds like the best thing thank you for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
Sounds like some major progress to say you’ve only had the car a little over six months. Good luck with the build, I’m sure you’ll find loads of helpful people on here .
Thanks learning a huge amount already! Everyone's been helpful so far and of course the older posts always come in helpful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thopsypydroks View Post
Black was not my choice but it looks good from a distance. I would rather something brighter and therefore more visible.
I didn't go for black specifically, to be honest I didn't look for a specific colour. The Saxo does have a couple of very small dings here and there and the black seems to be hiding them from a distance.

Quote:
Black will always look better looked after when it's clean so that's a bonus
She definitely does look smart when cleaned and polished!
Old 11th December 2016, 22:38   #6
BackSheep
L-plater

Little update after some work today..

Had the dash out again as I forgot to put a couple of the heating pipes (side heaters) back in first of all. Realised after putting the steering wheel back on first of all, but at that point I was done for the day. Anyway, second time round didn't take me half as long, hour or two and it was done. Used the opportunity to take a look at a Hawk remote central locking box I fitted a few weeks back - my cabling wasn't great, and the leaking antifreeze had soaked it. Re-wired the box and all cable tied up under the dash - though the remote central locking now only locks and doesn't unlock so will have to have it out again soon.

Forgot to mention before, I bought some footwell LEDs, they're pretty chavtastic but I had to do it. Initially they were just plugged into the cigarette lighter, but I've now hooked them up to a continuous live. They have a remote so I can switch them on and off whenever. Might hook them into the ignition at some point.

A little while ago I also started looking into running my sunroof on an electric motor. I followed jokerer's post - bought a Peugeot 306 motor, and a switch for the 306 too. Finally found the time to have a crack at it. As jokerer did, took the Saxo cog out of the manual mechanism and cut a slit into it, then assembled into the 306 motor. When it came to cabling I didn't want to run it off the cigarette lighter (which I believe jokerer did), so I hooked into the door window relay. Initially the motor wasn't opening/closing the sunroof all the way - I believe the motor has its own kind of internal relay or something - basically took away one of the pink cogs inside and the motor worked all the way perfectly, and won't run too far because of the window relay.
Just need to refabricate the covering for the internal light where the sunroof motor is. That'll happen next.

That's pretty much it for now, I'll get some pictures up soon.
Old 11th December 2016, 22:40   #7
BackSheep
L-plater

Completely forgot to link to jokerer's post: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=459197
Old 14th December 2016, 09:18   #8
BackSheep
L-plater

Decided to play about on Photoshop to see what she looks like lowered... Not the best with Photoshop but gives me an idea at least. Never really liked the idea of lowering the car due to impracticalities - any thoughts?

Old 14th December 2016, 12:36   #9
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Have a look at my old saxo thread, was lowered 60mm and had no problems with speed bumps and gave a better drive, only thing I had to do was fabricate some shorter exhaust brackets then use ford Kat mounting rubbers. These cars need to be low!!!!
Old 19th January 2017, 09:57   #10
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Have a look at my old saxo thread, was lowered 60mm and had no problems with speed bumps and gave a better drive, only thing I had to do was fabricate some shorter exhaust brackets then use ford Kat mounting rubbers. These cars need to be low!!!!
I'll go take a look, cheers!

---

No major updates really at this point, been quiet over Christmas and new year.

The only thing I've done really is fix my airbag light. Sometimes it would be on and sometimes not (mostly on). Played around with the pretensioners a couple of times and this didn't always turn the light off. Ended up changing the airbag ring connection (not sure what it's actually called) behind the steering wheel, and that seems to have fixed it.

Anyway, got myself some saxperience stickers, also got to make up a new cover for my interior light and sunroof button. I'll get some progress pics up soon when I do.

Few things I know will need to be done soon, as I have an MOT coming up:
- bought a new number plate, mine was cracked lol
- will need to change the exhaust, emissions are undoubtedly terrible right now, and it makes a right racket! (Any recommendations)
- air filter is just shoddy and cheap, going to change this too (any recommendations)
- got a rebadged front grill, so that'll go on soon too
Old 19th January 2017, 11:27   #11
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Coming Along nicely mate mot's are always scary especially on these as they are getting on a bit now haha I have no idea how mine passed it's mot before I brought it must of been as bent as a 9 bob note I'm confident it will pass the next one though keep the updates coming
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 11:42   #12
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Coming Along nicely mate mot's are always scary especially on these as they are getting on a bit now haha I have no idea how mine passed it's mot before I brought it must of been as bent as a 9 bob note I'm confident it will pass the next one though keep the updates coming
Cheers man I think I'm just worried because it's my first ever MOT haha - but more updates below and I've got more to come soon so hopefully I'll be well prepared for the MOT - best of luck with yours whenever it comes!

---

Some updates... Unfortunately no pictures as I always forget! Mostly because I'm learning on the job with the help from my dad, and want to get my hands dirty.
edit - added some photos as it turns out I did take some..

So recently drove over a sink hole at about 60, which yanked the spring out from between those two metal plates (not sure what they're called, but they hold the spring in). It was wedged on top of my wheel and had to move the car so cut the spring back as much as I could, so needed replacing - used this opportunity to replace suspension on all 4 with a 60mm lower kit.

Had to be creative with my tools as I was really unprepared for the job. Bought a ball joint splitter, but no one around had a swan head spanner so a bit of play with a pipe wrench and I eventually got the suspension apart.

Then to attack the other side:

In the process, I learned not to tighten spring clamps with a ratchet spanner, because you can't get it off again!

All back together, but didn't get pictures for proof

Anti roll bar strut's will need replacing before MOT, but glad to know they're cheap anyway.

Since replacing the suspension (at least I didn't notice it before), I now have a strange knocking noise most noticeable when going less than around 40mph, and definitely most noticeable when going over bumps. Sounds like its coming from left side when driving but if I give either of the front wheels a tug it sounds like it's coming from center of engine bay. Taking a look today to see if I can find out what's causing it. So far I've read on here it could be:
  • Engine mounts
  • Driveshaft
  • Wishbone
  • Pretty much anything else to do with suspension

Anyway - will try get pictures in future, makes for a better read.
Next up after finding/fixing noise above, will be to replace the exhaust system.

Then hopefully back to things I want to upgrade rather than need to

Last edited by BackSheep; 22nd February 2017 at 12:35. Reason: Added images
Old 5th February 2017, 13:30   #13
gti180craig
Regular Poster

gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Try changing your drop links mate they are cheap and it sounds like it could be the problem failing that it will be the wishbones which again are cheap and easy to replace
The Following User Says Thank You to gti180craig For This Useful Post:
Old 8th February 2017, 09:22   #14
BackSheep
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Try changing your drop links mate they are cheap and it sounds like it could be the problem failing that it will be the wishbones which again are cheap and easy to replace
Ah cheers man, looking at the rubber seals they are a little torn up too. I'll get a pair of them and switch them out. May do wishbones while I'm there anyway, rounds done then!
Old 8th February 2017, 10:02   #15
jeffes02
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR and BMW 330ci
jeffes02 is on a distinguished road

What a steal for that VTR looks clean. Taking the dash out for a notice is brave. Look forward to more updates.
jeffes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 10:30   #16
BackSheep
L-plater

Thanks man Been quite lucky with her so far, touch wood haha.

I was a bit concerned but help from the old man was much appreciated and definitely made the whole process much easier than it could have been. Was smooth sailing in the end

Gotta say, this thread helped loads too: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=163963
Old 8th February 2017, 13:55   #17
jeffes02
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR and BMW 330ci
jeffes02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSheep View Post
Thanks man Been quite lucky with her so far, touch wood haha.

I was a bit concerned but help from the old man was much appreciated and definitely made the whole process much easier than it could have been. Was smooth sailing in the end

Gotta say, this thread helped loads too: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=163963
Yeah there are a lot of threads on saxp that are very helpful. I look through them all the time.
jeffes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:42   #18
BackSheep
L-plater

I've added a couple of pictures to a post above - will try and add more the more I progress.

Anti roll bar struts have arrived, as well as new track rod ends, new exhaust, oil breather filter. Will update when I start on them.

In the mean time, I got some P40 and started reshaping the interior light cover so I can fit the sunroof switch.
First time using P40, so fingers crossed ...

I got told not to put too much on as I can always add more later - its only when it comes to sanding that I realise why. P40's solid as a rock.

A bit more sanding, then maybe fill in the gaps again and some finer sanding - followed by a new spray over it all, then on to cutting the hole for the sunroof switch. At which point I may recover/respray the rest of the interior decor.

Should be more big changes/updates coming soon.
Old 22nd February 2017, 15:07   #19
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Good progress mate
The Following User Says Thank You to gti180craig For This Useful Post:
Old 28th February 2017, 17:00   #20
BackSheep
L-plater

Thanks

Got around to fitting my anti roll bar struts. First bit of work on the car I've done without any supervision

After getting them off, I could see what the fuss was all about:

Anyway, sorted now:

I reckon my tracking's off though, as this was my drivers side front wheel (passenger side is also worn down quite a bit):

I wanted to switch to the original wheels anyway, so I've put them on for now. The wheel nuts look hideous though, any suggestions on what/where to buy?:

I'll probably put some part-worns on my spare alloys, so that my VTR alloys can have a little TLC. Then I'll put some new tyres on them after.

I should have more progress this weekend. I plan to:
  • Fit new exhaust
  • Finish interior light fitting, and fit it
  • Fit oil breather filter
  • Fit new break pads & discs (we'll see about this one)