Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 21st November 2017, 16:50   #1
debz1983

debz1983 is on a distinguished road
Default Temperature gauge

I have a saxo 1.1 and having issues with my temp gage. I have checked my coolant and it's not milky which would indicate head gasket gone. I've checked oil as well and it seems fine no discolouration. From what I've seen I haven't heard nor have I seen my fan kicking in when my temperature has risen. I can sit ideal and watch my gage rise slowly. It seems not too bad when I'm moving and I have to have my blowers on. I do get a slight hot smell coming through when it's in the hot section. I've checked for any leakage from my pipes for the coolant and can't see anything obvious there is no wet patches underneath my car after it's been sitting. I'm a new driver and don't have much experience with working on cars is there any body that can help me and give me some advice of what I should do? Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
debz1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 19:56   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Anything below the red is to be treated as "normal" according to the handbook.

Normally I'd expect it to be between just below half way and 3/4.

The gauge could be faulty, they're not accurate as they have no scale.
Old 21st November 2017, 22:25   #3
debz1983

It's a concern that I haven't seen my fan come on. I'm aware of the usually sitting at about 3/4 but mine was still rising. I'm going to check over a few things tomorrow like the plugs and relays. I'm hoping for it to be something simple. It's just been confusing me

Old 22nd November 2017, 13:04   #4
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Possibly a faulty sensor?
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:09   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1983 View Post
It's a concern that I haven't seen my fan come on. I'm aware of the usually sitting at about 3/4 but mine was still rising. I'm going to check over a few things tomorrow like the plugs and relays. I'm hoping for it to be something simple. It's just been confusing me

What year is your saxo? Does the ECU have 3 plugs or 1 plug?
Old 23rd November 2017, 02:47   #6
debz1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
What year is your saxo? Does the ECU have 3 plugs or 1 plug?

Is a 03 and is 3 plugs. Turns out my fan isn't working and also there is some oil in my coolant reservoir. About 1/4 of it is black ( looking from the outside) you can't see the liquid till after it. It's starting to look like it the my head gasket after all. Going to flush it and see what it looks like. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and get it repaired or not if it is my gasket? I paid £120 for and have spent about £400 on it getting a rear axle put in and break pads, discs and all that cleaned as, the person before had put the pads in the wrong way ( I know right, how is it possible ) and all pistons was seizing
Old 27th November 2017, 18:32   #7
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1983 View Post
Is a 03 and is 3 plugs. Turns out my fan isn't working and also there is some oil in my coolant reservoir. About 1/4 of it is black ( looking from the outside) you can't see the liquid till after it. It's starting to look like it the my head gasket after all. Going to flush it and see what it looks like. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and get it repaired or not if it is my gasket? I paid £120 for and have spent about £400 on it getting a rear axle put in and break pads, discs and all that cleaned as, the person before had put the pads in the wrong way ( I know right, how is it possible ) and all pistons was seizing
Yes the fan is controlled by the ECU on a 3 plug.

If the sensor is good i'd start by checking the fuses and relays for the fan. or putting 12v straight across the fan to see if it even works.

I think I know what you're seeing in your reservoir, it might not actually be oil from a head gasket failure. but more neglected coolant changes. it goes thick and creamy as if oil has mixed with it. It's also very common to see "gunk" on the underside of the oil cap but 9/10 it's just condensation.

You can't really see through that plastic and the right level is normally too far down to see from the top.

Got the right idea though, disconnect the bottom rad hose and give it a good flush.

So far you're £520 deep in a whole car. That's not really a lot

I'm in a similar boat except I've got a 1.5D, it cost me £150 but needed new drums and handbreak cables. (drums and bearings are expensive!) Then it needed a driveshaft and now I'm awaiting the timing belt to snap since it's not been changed since 2005.
Old 27th November 2017, 22:36   #8
debz1983

Okay it's turning out more and more to be the head gasket. Under closer inspection there is a good bit of oil been coming from the cylinder head about half of it is covered in oil. Also when looking it the engine oil and feeling the oil it's a little gritty. Run my finger right inside and got little bits of debris, I'm have a wild guess that in relation to all my findings that my engine is crumbling from the inside. I also tapped my coolant reservoir and seen the crap coming up and mixing. It was like brown and thick looking.
The ecu is a replacement ( unlocked) as I broke my immobiliser on my ignition barrel and the car wouldn't start so had to get a new key,barrel,ecu and immobiliser.
There is absolutely no power to my fan, I tested it directly from the battery to the fan and nothing. I checked realy and it was only a 25 amp when it should be 35 or 45 that would explain why my fuse kept popping but even then replacing it still didn't work so I think it's dead.
I was going to use rad flush and holts wonderweld by decided after seeing the oil from the cylinder head ( it was to far gone ) that I'd be wasting my money and time. I think I just need to cut my losses with this car

Old 27th November 2017, 22:37   #9
debz1983

£520 deep is a lot for me pal. Especially with run up to xmas

Old 28th November 2017, 10:14   #10
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

sounds like classic 8v tu head gasket leaking, that will fix the oil leak and the water in oil issue, very common and not a big job at all.

probably looking at £120 of parts plus similar in labour.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 13:49   #11
debz1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
sounds like classic 8v tu head gasket leaking, that will fix the oil leak and the water in oil issue, very common and not a big job at all.

probably looking at £120 of parts plus similar in labour.
Its the head gasket replacement thats gunna cost. I cant do it. It would need to go into a garage and thays a expensive bill if they decide to do it that is. Also have to think how long its been like that and how much damage its done to the engine already

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2017, 13:54   #12
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

its a very easy job, doable in an afternoon, I'd probably charge no more than £100 for it.
Old 30th November 2017, 13:57   #13
debz1983

Quote:
its a very easy job, doable in an afternoon, I'd probably charge no more than £100 for it.
If I was to put it to a garage I'd be nearly £500. You would only be £100 jist to take my whole engine out and replace my head gasket and clean what mess of oil that's been leaking around the cylinder head?

Old 30th November 2017, 17:07   #14
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

no need to remove the engine for a hg job
Old 30th November 2017, 17:10   #15
debz1983

Quote:
no need to remove the engine for a hg job
Yeah I jist realised that hahah