Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 14th January 2010, 18:03   #1
chris_ph2
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 Ice Grey VTR
chris_ph2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default router keeps disconnecting

used to just cut off for a few seconds every now and then. sign you out of msn then straight back in. gradually gone worse though. says the connection is excellent but won't load any pages. page cannot be displayed etc for about 20 mins then it's fine again for a couple of hours. been so bad lately though. more time without internet than with. doing my nut in! netgear router and i think we're with bt broadband. got avg free security but as i say the connection used to be ok and now it's rubbish. router on it's way out maybe? must be a few years old now i reckon. any ideas?

cheers, chris

2003 Ice Grey VTR: K&N Panel, Raceland 4-1, Decat, Supersprint/Piper Stainless, Superchip, Quickshift, Eibach 50mm, OZ SuperTs, T1Rs, OMP Brace, Smoked Lights, 118.9bhp
Progress topic: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129304
chris_ph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 18:28   #2
GirlRacerSianp
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): C2 1.6 16v VTR (R.I.P) C3 Exclusive 1.6 VTI
GirlRacerSian will become famous soon enough

I find the weather has a major part of playing netgear router up,as we have the same problem with ours.
Normally it can help if you un-plug the router and take the lead out of the phone socket for a few seconds then turn it back on again.

Last edited by GirlRacerSian; 14th January 2010 at 18:30.
GirlRacerSian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 00:01   #3
chris_ph2
Established Member
North West Region Member

yeah seems to be since the weather went really bad!

all i've done up to now is switch it off at the plug and back on again. works for a sec then goes off again. will try what you said though cheers

2003 Ice Grey VTR: K&N Panel, Raceland 4-1, Decat, Supersprint/Piper Stainless, Superchip, Quickshift, Eibach 50mm, OZ SuperTs, T1Rs, OMP Brace, Smoked Lights, 118.9bhp
Old 16th January 2010, 02:31   #4
shayne_vtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): SAXO VTR POSI BLUE MK1 (98)
shayne_vtr is on a distinguished road

my net gear router kicks me off most nights since weather ben bad usuallly between six and nin nand ocassionally up till around 11 ish
shayne_vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 08:55   #5
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne_vtr View Post
my net gear router kicks me off most nights since weather ben bad usuallly between six and nin nand ocassionally up till around 11 ish
Sure its not just a busy local exchange with everyone being on the internet couse of the weather?
Old 16th January 2010, 19:39   #6
GirlRacerSianp
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): C2 1.6 16v VTR (R.I.P) C3 Exclusive 1.6 VTI
GirlRacerSian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
Sure its not just a busy local exchange with everyone being on the internet couse of the weather?
That doesn't help either.
Old 17th January 2010, 16:39   #7
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Lol. i very much doubt its the weather could be the exchange at the end of line but i very much doubt that also,

Most likely to be the router, reset update firmware if not replace it.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:15   #8
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Saying the Router can get effected is like saying the TV remote is getting effected by the weather.
Old 18th January 2010, 21:47   #9
blakey26
Infrequent Poster

blakey26 is on a distinguished road

what you need to do is open up a command box on your computer (start-->run-->type in that box cmd)

once that box is open type: ipconfig

this should give you your address details for all your network adapters. one of them should have a default gateway address. make a note of this (something like 192.168.1.1)

not set a constant ping going to your router by using that address. type:
ping 192.168.1.1 (change to your default gateway) -t

this will set a constant ping going to your router from your machine. leave it in the background and continue browsing the web or doing whatever you normally do. when you notice the connection drop switch back to that window and see if the messages you are getting have changed to requested timed out (you can scroll back a bit) there should be several of them in a row.

if that happened then yes you have a connection problem to the router. if not then it is more than likely to be your connection to the outside world as you have just proved your LAN is fine. you can try the above but instead of pinging your router ping www.google.com instead and check for the same results. let us know what you find.
blakey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 22:17   #10
SaxoMuffin
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): iTB'd MK2 VTR
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
SaxoMuffin is on a distinguished road

Does the connection still drop if you connect straight to it?
SaxoMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 22:20   #11
bald24
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 1.1i '51
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
bald24 is on a distinguished road

Could try updating the firmware.
bald24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 17:36   #12
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum

baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey26 View Post
what you need to do is open up a command box on your computer (start-->run-->type in that box cmd)

once that box is open type: ipconfig

this should give you your address details for all your network adapters. one of them should have a default gateway address. make a note of this (something like 192.168.1.1)

not set a constant ping going to your router by using that address. type:
ping 192.168.1.1 (change to your default gateway) -t

this will set a constant ping going to your router from your machine. leave it in the background and continue browsing the web or doing whatever you normally do. when you notice the connection drop switch back to that window and see if the messages you are getting have changed to requested timed out (you can scroll back a bit) there should be several of them in a row.

if that happened then yes you have a connection problem to the router. if not then it is more than likely to be your connection to the outside world as you have just proved your LAN is fine. you can try the above but instead of pinging your router ping www.google.com instead and check for the same results. let us know what you find.
dude fair play and all but i dont think he would know where to start with this..

When a router turns itself on/off this is called router flapping, it does happen when a router gets older and means the hardware is faulty.
Old 21st January 2010, 09:04   #13
blakey26
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker556 View Post
dude fair play and all but i dont think he would know where to start with this..

When a router turns itself on/off this is called router flapping, it does happen when a router gets older and means the hardware is faulty.
tried to put is a simple as possible but he is always welcome to give me a shout if he gets stuck.

and router flapping is when a router broadcasts different paths to go to the same destination and is a feature on CISCO routers.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:39   #14
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey26 View Post
tried to put is a simple as possible but he is always welcome to give me a shout if he gets stuck.

and router flapping is when a router broadcasts different paths to go to the same destination and is a feature on CISCO routers.
So yeah it advertises one router then another destination address as available then unavailable again in a quicker sequence, think i was thinking of interface flapping.
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:53   #15
chris_ph2
Established Member
North West Region Member

thanks for the replies. not had chance to have a play around with it yet but it definitely seems loads better since the snow has cleared. seemed to go bad when the snow arrived aswell. coincidence? lol

i've now got internet most of the time so will see how things go and try the above if needs be

cheers, chris

Old 24th January 2010, 08:42   #16
blakey26
Infrequent Poster

good to hear mate, if it happens give when i said a try or gimme a shout