Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 11th August 2009, 19:57   #1
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!
Default iPhone Q's before I take the plunge

Need some help guys...

As I today managed to cancel my Orange contract I'm looking at a deal on the iPhone 3GS but need help deciding if I should get that or the standard 3G.

Option 1:
The 3Gs is available on 18 month contract so based on the £35/month tariff and handset at £185 the total cost will be £815

Option 2:
If I did the same with the 3G it would be £730

Option 3:
Or if I took the £45/month tariff on the 3GS and reduced it to the £35/month tariff after 9 months the total including handset would be £807

Option 4:
As option 3 but with the 3G the total would be £720

Obviously I would choose option 2 or 4, because overall they work out cheaper but the question is:

Is the 3GS really worth the difference over the 3G?

How much quicker is the 3GS compared to the 3G (of all the forums I've read I can't seem to get a definitive answer!)?

Is there a good satnav app and if so how much is it?

If I have tunes on CD can I transfer them to my iPhone using a windows based PC/laptop?

Has anyone upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS and noticed a real difference?

Any other pros or cons anyone can think of?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:06   #2
Liam_LFC_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Ireland Region Member

Car(s): French piece of shit. (VTR)
Liam_LFC_VTR is on a distinguished road

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/iphone3gs/

Thats got 3GS reviews,pros and cons etc

Hope that helps
Liam_LFC_VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam_LFC_VTR For This Useful Post:
Old 11th August 2009, 20:16   #3
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

So basically what it's saying there then is if you want to utilise the 3.0 software the 3GS is the handset for the job and the 3G just about copes?
Quote:
Old 11th August 2009, 20:24   #4
Shadowdemon
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Shadowdemon is on a distinguished road

Is the 3GS really worth the difference over the 3G?

Definatly yes !!

How much quicker is the 3GS compared to the 3G (of all the forums I've read I can't seem to get a definitive answer!)?

Supposed to be 2x faster http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/

Is there a good satnav app and if so how much is it?

There will be SOON Info http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/09/tomtom_3gs/

Tomtom Will be releasing a app later this year

If I have tunes on CD can I transfer them to my iPhone using a windows based PC/laptop?

Yeah itunes works with windows and mac, If you dont like itunes to much use windows media player to copy the cd to your pc then just plug ur phone in and start up itunes and drag the songs over

Any other pros or cons anyone can think of?

The 3gs has a 3-Megapixel Camera
Lets you send and recieve picture messages unlike the old one

Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe

If you misplace your iPhone, Apple’s MobileMe service can help you find it. Log on to me.com to view a map that shows the approximate location of your iPhone. If it’s nearby, have it play an alert sound to help you find it, or display a message on the home screen to help someone return it to you. If displaying a message hasn’t resulted in its safe return, you can initiate a remote wipe and restore your iPhone to factory settings.

Seems Very handy if you loose your phone

Built in digital compass, voice controll etc...
I personally rekon the Ipone 3gs is definatly worth the extra Its supposed to be 2x faster aswell.
Shadowdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadowdemon For This Useful Post:
Old 11th August 2009, 20:26   #5
smittytom
Established Member

Car(s): 1)Posi Blue Westie 2)172
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
smittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud of
Default Re: iPhone Q's before I take the plunge

Get the 3Gs it's much faster I have the 3G and my friends 3Gs is a lot nicer to use.
Also for sat nav navigon do one which is £69.99 and it is awesome, TomTom also have an app coming out but you have to buy there cradle and stuff because they claim the iPhones build in GPS isn't good enough which is rubbish.
Hope that helps
smittytom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smittytom For This Useful Post:
Old 11th August 2009, 20:28   #6
smittytom
Established Member

smittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud of
Default Re: iPhone Q's before I take the plunge

All the remote wipe stuff and find my iPhone is not just for the 3Gs it's part of the 3.0 firmware so it works with the 3G too but you have to have MobileMe for it to work on either.
Old 11th August 2009, 20:31   #7
gazwhittle
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Car(s): Citroen C2 Rthym Soon to be VT* upgrade.
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
gazwhittle has a spectacular aura aboutgazwhittle has a spectacular aura aboutgazwhittle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdemon View Post

The 3gs has a 3-Megapixel Camera
Lets you send and recieve picture messages unlike the old one
IPHONE 3G ALSO DOES THIS!! 3.0 UPDATE.

Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe

If you misplace your iPhone, Apple’s MobileMe service can help you find it. Log on to me.com to view a map that shows the approximate location of your iPhone. If it’s nearby, have it play an alert sound to help you find it, or display a message on the home screen to help someone return it to you. If displaying a message hasn’t resulted in its safe return, you can initiate a remote wipe and restore your iPhone to factory settings.

Seems Very handy if you loose your phone

IPHONE 3G ALSO HAS THIS!
REQUOTE MATE.

in theory the 3g with a 3.0 update is the same as the 3gs but without the x2 speed

just a little taste of things to some with the 3gs

3gs overheating and one in the news actually exploded.
Old 11th August 2009, 20:35   #8
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Craig have a read about there is rumour that 02 lose exclusivity t the iphone in September. Or at least keep exclusivity on the 3GS.

Im still on my 2G running 3.0 software. It copes absolutely fine not issues at all with performance. The better hardware though is a tempting prospect...

All reviews point to the 3GS being faster. How much is down to the reviewer, what I would really be watching though is future apps may demand the better processor and graphics performance....

Yes you can transfer tunes no problem at all with Itunes, or there are various other ways of doing it but Itunes has improved by some margin since i first started using it and i get on fine with it now. And its free.

3Gs has a better camera, processor, compass and video out the box. The 3G can do pic messages as well on 3.0 firmware.

However im on 2G and I can send pics and take vids etc... via a simple safe jailbreak. I would like the GPS of the 3G and up though

Overall though come renewal time i dont know if i will aim for the 3GS or the 3G. Im waiting to see the outcome of the exclusivity deal with Apple as it should open up the market a bit and hopefully drive some deals out there

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:39   #9
craig180p
Yorkshire

Yeah I was wondering whether to hang fire until October when Orange are meant to be winning bidders for distribution as well as o2

If anything the competition would drive down prices, even if only slightly, but the problem is I'm an impatient bugger!!!

Seems the general consensus is that the S is worth the extra over the standard 3G

I lke the sound of the tom tom cradle satnav thing - anything to save carrying around an mp3 player, satnav and phone if I want to go away anywhere!

Think my minds made up tbh but still appreciate any more input
Quote:
Old 11th August 2009, 20:47   #10
Rob-6
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 306 gti6
Rob-6 is on a distinguished road

i have a 3g and it works perfectly for me whether i have it connected to wifi or not i believe that the differences between the two are minimal, they have just brought it out for all the geeks who have to buy the latest phone.
Rob-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:49   #11
Rob-6
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

this maybe of interest to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYSX01r3t8
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11th August 2009, 21:00   #12
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvts20 View Post
this maybe of interest to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYSX01r3t8
Bored about 6 mins in but I get the idea. S rocks
Quote:
Old 11th August 2009, 22:46   #13
d4r3n
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): bmw 330ci sport !
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
d4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to behold

orderd mine on sunday got the new 3gs 32g comming fingers crossed tomorrow cant wait
d4r3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 22:48   #14
Rob-6
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
Bored about 6 mins in but I get the idea. S rocks
lol should have told you to skip to about 3 mins in where he starts actually comparing the speed!
Old 11th August 2009, 22:49   #15
Rob-6
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

i think basically if your after an iphone get a 3gs but if you've already got a 3g theres no point upgrading
Old 12th August 2009, 08:23   #16
a17vts
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS 2000
a17vts will become famous soon enough

I was going to start this thread but like 180 I think I'm just going to stick with the 3G with the upgrade.

Stupid question I assume if I get a 3G IPhone today will it actually already have the 3.0 software on it or will I have to ask for this as part of my deal?

a17vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 15:51   #17
Fordy_87
Established Member
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk2 Vtr & mk1 Tb'd Vts
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Fordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team memberFordy_87 is a well respected team member

All i say is if you dont have an Iphone get a 3gs as youll only wish you got the newer one after a month or 2 when others start getting it!

OZ Super T's / Eibach 50mm / Pipercross Viper / Janspeed manifold / Straight through centre pipe /
Magnex 3.5" backbox / Mk1 rears / Delocked / Alpine HU / 107.3Bhp at Flywheel
Fordy_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 16:11   #18
Danr
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Charming car
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!Danr is absolutely fabulous!

I've got a 3g running 3.0 and I find it fine. The only thing I don't have is the video but tbh I rarely use the camera on the phone anyway.

I am finding it quite funny how you want an iPhone now though
Danr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:29   #19
-Jason-
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Fabia vRS
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!

I have the 3g and have jailbroken it I now have a camera with a zoom feature a video recorder and a sat nav all free.

If you know where to look the 3g is fine
-Jason- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:40   #20
smittytom
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jason- View Post
I have the 3g and have jailbroken it I now have a camera with a zoom feature a video recorder and a sat nav all free.

If you know where to look the 3g is fine
It is fine but the 3Gs is better.lol
Maybe wait a while Rogers in Canada are showing an 8GB 3Gs on there system so if its true its only a matter of time before we have an 8GB 3Gs over here