Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports > Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your non saxo in this forum.

Old 6th September 2015, 21:38   #401
lincolndanny

lincolndanny is on a distinguished road

I sense we are getting near to a biggish update Matt What are the heat shields made of on the 309? No chance of cleaning the Saxo ones up like that, bloody thin metal
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lincolndanny For This Useful Post:
Old 6th September 2015, 21:58   #402
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Definitely feels like I'm making progress now Danny. I've got some more painting that I want to do next (finishing the underside of the suspension turret) then I should be able to blast through the front suspension refit, steering, gear linkages (new ones) all in a day or so.

You'd be surprised with the heat shields, I'm sure I remember the old Saxo ones being do-able. The 309 ones are aluminium I believe
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:04   #403
willsy
West Midlands

willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Been busying myself again this afternoon, refitted a few bits and bobs and took a few pics of the front of the car for the fun of it.

Hoping to get hold of some new linkages, and I'll be carrying on with the brake lines after my holiday

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willsy For This Useful Post:
Old 7th September 2015, 21:13   #404
lincolndanny

lincolndanny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
PHWOAR!!!!!
lincolndanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:23   #405
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

OOOOOFF!!!!!

Stunning!!
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 21:40   #406
VTR_Craig
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Mercedes C220, Scooby, Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 35 (100%)
VTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud ofVTR_Craig has much to be proud of

You are so patient, I would have got bored a long time ago and gone with the "that will do" attitude.

That front end picture makes it all look worth while
VTR_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 11:45   #407
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mango Westcoast
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!

Just updated myself on the last couple of months work Matt - great work as ever.

My 2015 Project thread ---> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...202333&page=45
jpsaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 16:00   #408
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Fairplay that front end looks brand new!

Great work, wish I had time,patience and money to do this.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:30   #409
sn3ddon
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): renualt Clio 1.5 dci
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sn3ddon is on a distinguished road

Thank god the number plate will cover that rusty bolt kidding what a stunning restoration keep up the excellent work. Would a nice gti6 running gear fit easily ?
sn3ddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 19:39   #410
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

Fit!

Can't wait to see this all finished. Whats up with the brake lines?
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 22:23   #411
willsy
West Midlands

Cheers guys

Brettles id definitely say that patience is the hardest attribute to work on out of the three.
Chinkostu I've started replacing all the brake lines, with it having been off the road for so long it seemed sensible; corrosion on the brake lines is still an MOT failure right?
Sn3ddon I'm not sure, I know a lot of stuff is the same or interchangeable with the 205 and 309, but I havnt had any experience with a 306.

A few odds and ends was all I got done today.
First up was some other new bits for the speedo sender

Then finished de rusting this bit within the inner arch. It's such a pain that there a hole to get repaired as it cleaned up well otherwise

Still, until I can get the repair done it needs protecting so I've still applied the two coats of zinc primer anyway so it's fully protected

Whilst I was working within the drivers arch this bit kept glaring at me, this appears to be the worst of any corrosion

Made a start on it with the rust removal gel. It's not half as bad as it looked, shouldn't take too much longer to have it back to clean metal

Another annoying bit is the manifold. It's rusty as hell to look at (new ones are bloody expensive so I'll have to put up with this one for the time being)
However I wasn't going to ignore the nuts and studs!

They look in terrible order

Removed the studs completely, cleaned them up, reinserted and got some new nuts out. I will probably replace with new genuine at some point but I am content for now.

Last edited by willsy; 8th September 2015 at 22:27.
Old 8th September 2015, 22:33   #412
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

You would be correct. Seems worth it for futureproofing i guess!!
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 00:54   #413
0rang3peel
Saxperience Addict
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): 306 diesel shed broken vts
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
0rang3peel is on a distinguished road

This is the absolute tops. Loving it, I have no idea how you have so much patience.

Any idea if Bilt Hamber zinc primer is weldable?
Old 25th September 2015, 10:13   #414
willsy
West Midlands

Not much to report, but I have removed the exhaust manifold (which looked extremely rusty) to assess its condition and see whether there was any cracks etc. Also fitting new studs, nuts and gaskets.

Here's how the manifold looked

I could just get it blasted but I didn't want to be too harsh on it initially (new ones are £240!)

I've cleaned it up to this stage so far. Also cleaned out all the threads which seem to be there for some sort of heat shield to mount on, however there wasn't one fitted when I got it and I havnt been able to find one on service box

Old 25th September 2015, 10:14   #415
willsy
West Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rang3peel View Post
This is the absolute tops. Loving it, I have no idea how you have so much patience.

Any idea if Bilt Hamber zinc primer is weldable?
Cheers mate, I believe that it is weldable (also checked Google and suggestions confirmed it) I havnt welded it myself yet though
Old 25th September 2015, 10:52   #416
willsy
West Midlands

Looking to get the calipers rebuilt this month. Will be sending them to Bigg Red.

However I'm undecided on what finish to go for. I can either go with:

A standard silver finish, doesn't offer as good corrosion protection

Or the premium coating which has much superior corrosion resistance. I originally wanted s silver finish but the premium coat doesn't have silver as an option. So black would be the choice colour.

The electroplated finish is ruled out as the rear calipers aren't an option for that type of finish they say.

Price doesn't bother me so do I go for silver in standard finish, or black in the premium?
Old 25th September 2015, 17:03   #417
Jigs2895
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): 1997 Mk1 VTS
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Jigs2895 is on a distinguished road

I stripped my callipers myself (very easy to do.) and bought the seals from big red.

Then had the callipers powdercoated which arguably gives the best protection with a great finish, and then reassembled myself. Probably cost me £40 all in to rebuild them and beg the powder coating done.
Jigs2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 17:27   #418
dsh85
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): focus tdci, clio v6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!

stunning mate! first ive seen of it with not being on in a while!
Old 25th September 2015, 20:14   #419
Jim-Bob
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region Member

Car(s): Looking for a 205...
iTrader Score: 52 (100%)
Jim-Bob will become famous soon enoughJim-Bob will become famous soon enough

The bigg red premium finish looks stunning matt, well worth it, and still looks OEM

James
Jim-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 12:15   #420
willsy
West Midlands

Cheers guys, I've checked over the front calipers now, all threads are good, bleed nipples remove fine etc etc. Wanted to make sure that I was sending off some sound calipers.

I'm still undecided on the finish to go for. I've been reminded that the rear caliper itself is aluminium rather than cast, hence no electroplate and corrosion not being as much of a problem with cast- so arguably they'd be fine with the standard silver finish.

Now then, I do have brand new genuine carriers for the rear calipers too, they are originally plated in the gold colour.

Which brings me back to the fronts, I could get these done in the silver electroplate.
Do I go for a silver/gold combo between caliper and carrier all round? (I'm not sure on the original factory colouring for the fronts) Or send the new rears off to be swapped to silver. I hate these decisions :-)