Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 13th June 2011, 13:37   #21
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Ph2 Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Jamesb0303 is on a distinguished road

i know thats what i thought thats why i was asking if you really need all of that haha
Jamesb0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 13:40   #22
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb0303 View Post
Turbo conversion stage 1 (250bhp) parts list

*DP engineering tubular manifold-
GT25R turbo -
DP 2.5" stainless downpipe - *

DP TURBO KIT - £1582
Remember this kit comes with the water cooling connection kit you're being quoted for elsewhere too...
http://www.dp-engineering.nl/EN/prod..._16v_compo.php

Quote:
mocal oil cooler kit with remote filter take off £250
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOCAL-REMOTE-O...9#ht_500wt_922 - remote filter location kit, £90. Plus the 13 row cooler - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mocal-Oil-Cool...#ht_1434wt_905 - thats £60. Contact Kam Racing etc for a unique setup. Saving £100.

Quote:
custom 2.5" exhaust system £300
Very good price that

Quote:
491cc injectors £342
How much?? Ouch. Remember thats plus vat so £400. Try these: http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/engin.../prod_255.html - £250 all in delivered - saving £150.

Quote:
bosch 4bar FPR £58
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-Seat-1...#ht_500wt_1156
Saving £18

Quote:
walbro 255 fuel pump £80
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WALBRO-GSS342-...#ht_2213wt_905
Saving £11

Quote:
budget radiator, header tank and intercooler kit £350
Ouch. 106 diesel Rad (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-106-CI...#ht_1399wt_905) - £40. GMC Header tank (http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/super.../prod_500.html) - £70. GT3 intercooler (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-INTE...d#ht_772wt_905) - £75. Total £185. Saving £165.

Quote:
silicone hoses, £200
Using Samco maybe. Use ASH and you can probably halve that. Saving £100

Quote:
vacuum hoses, £40
More like £20, but okay...

Quote:
boost pipes (straight lengths ali tube) £20
Fair price that

Quote:
air filter, £60
And that.

Quote:
coolant hoses, £30
only coolant hose you need is to turbo - about £10 max. Saving £20

Quote:
boost controller, £175
Omex does this onboard - no need for an external boost controller if you're on a budget. Saving £175.

Quote:
cooling fan, £80
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-RADIATOR-CO...item1c1b146241
£30, saving £50

Quote:
uprated engine mounts, £150
Baker BM ones are much nicer than the vibra technics ones imo - and cheaper too. I've lost the leaflet I got from them at the FCS, but seem to remember it was about £90 for the set. Saving £60.

Quote:

sub total: £5777

vat: £1010.98

TOTAL: £6787.98
All the above ebay parts etc are including vat already. 20% adds up...

Above already saves you £969, and that's without really shopping around.

It may sound silly when you isolate all the parts (like saving £11 here, or £15 there) but when you buy 15 components and save £10 on each one, that's £150 towards something else. And that's the attitude I went into my first build with. Save where you can, spend where you want

PS - just to add - it depends what you're trying to do. When I built mine last year, obviously I was trying to do everything on as low cost as I could, but still build a decent setup. We managed it with parts like the above. We did the work ourselves, so saved a lot of money there too, sourcing parts as cheaply as possibly everywhere we could. There IS something to be said for just handing the car to someone to get you all the parts (or do the build for you!) if thats' your thing. I wanted to save money so sourced and researched every part I possibly could.

Dont forget your mapping sessions either - £400-500 max.

Last edited by Ross; 11th September 2012 at 16:36. Reason: corrected link to shoddy injectors!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Old 13th June 2011, 13:46   #23
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

Cheers mate thats a real help! is that list all i would need to get the setup running? as that makes it alot cheaper
Old 13th June 2011, 13:53   #24
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

you still need to buy a solenoid to use the omex built in boost controll feature.

there are other kits available that will comfotably forfill your power needs.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:58   #25
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Quote:
Cheers mate thats a real help! is that list all i would need to get the setup running? as that makes it alot cheaper
There's always more parts you forget. For example the boss you need to weld into the alloy top boost pipe for the dump valve take off. Things like that - or the host clamps - we spent easily £100 on hose clamps alone.

Danny is right also - you need a solenoid to use the omex boost controller. Still a lot cheaper than the Gizzmo.

As Danny also said, there's other setups you could do if you're on a real budget - it's all about what you want, Vs what you can afford! Plenty of people have done a full build for £2000 ish - it's all about what you can do without and what you can make yourself
Old 13th June 2011, 14:03   #26
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

Cheers way need someone with your knowhow around my way to help out haha how good is the mf2 ecu you were talking about! I ideally want it to be a decent spec but not costing to much just so i can get it going but obviously i would probably add it it in the future
Old 13th June 2011, 14:09   #27
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Cheers way need someone with your knowhow around my way to help out haha how good is the mf2 ecu you were talking about! I ideally want it to be a decent spec but not costing to much just so i can get it going but obviously i would probably add it it in the future
i personally wouldnt use an mf2. for the price the predator ecu's are id get one of those instead.

look at the cituning kits. they are more affordable. not as good quality as the dp stuff but a cheaper way to having a turbocharged running rather than talking about it.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:13   #28
Rossp
Super Moderator

Again, listen to Danny

The predator is a good ECU mappable (iirc for free by Andy still included in the purchase price?) by almost everywhere as it's megasquirt based. Only works on single plug looms though, but I'm presuming thats what you've got.

There's plenty of people now who have gone boost from various directions - full on homebrew budget builds to balls out mega-power cars. The best bit is here on saxp there's a lot of people willing to give you help where they can.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:57   #29
Tufty
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Black Furio, Amazon Green VT-S Road Beast
Tufty is on a distinguished road

If you are going to get DP get it through Atspeed, they have the best prices for the gear on the market to my knowledge. Make sure you do shop around for those parts, ebay, spoox, everywhere mate! Trust me money can be saved.

I know the person who had a warped manifold, and i have seen it aswell! its out by 1.3mm some say it will be fine etc, but this person has gone and got his smoothed out! Something a customer should not be doing with a finished product.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:19   #30
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

wolf_gsxr is on a distinguished road

Or you could take your car and 2800 quid to mr pred guy luthor, come back the next day and you have a low boost saxo. Magic.
wolf_gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:29   #31
coleman258
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Astra van daily Black Saxo VTR 16v'd kent PT51
coleman258 is on a distinguished road

So much useful info in this thread, was a good read and has helped me alot.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:32   #32
dunno
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Cars Are For Gays.
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
dunno is on a distinguished road

have a look on the predator affiliates thread, the guy does in and out conversions on a low boost set up for 2800, which he says will take you to about 170bhp and you might need an exhaust system as it only includes the down pipe.
VTS = Venial Testicular Scrotum
dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 19:14   #33
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

theres alot of ppl willing to help, lots of reading research forst though , my set up is "budget build" but not bodged, its been done safley, also VERY cheaply

the predator 3 plug is nearly completed, but for all those who cant wait (like myself) im running a single plug pred in my 3 plug vtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 19:45   #34
Rossp
Super Moderator

With the greatest of respect to Andy whom I get on with well, you'll be waiting a LONG time for the 3 plug ecu from him. He told me it was "almost complete" back in janurary ... 2010. Here we are 18 months later and it's still no further on. I even offered him a couple of thousand pounds just to be part of the development as I wanted involvement - eventually I went omex because I just couldn't wait forever on a promise.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:26   #35
VinceVTS
Frequent Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): 1998 citreon saxo westcoast 1.4i
VinceVTS is on a distinguished road

omg this is a very eye opening thread, lets keep this information going cus i have been thinking loads about turboing lol

Silver saxo vts potential track car ---->http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=386216
VinceVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 22:27   #36
Jamesb0303
Infrequent Poster

thanks for all the help guys! Cant wait to get this started so much support around the pred guy sounds good but im looking for 200+bhp and would like to do some things myself still undecided on setup
Old 13th June 2011, 22:44   #37
stevo1600
Established Member

Car(s): cammed 106 flatty
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
stevo1600 is on a distinguished road

if your thinking of turboing, give it all dont half do it. as tiny mistakes here and their put you under stress near the completion of the build.

this thread is full of info how to do it, the site is.

i practically built my own low boost saxo with nothing other than reading and asking a few questions on here. and im fairly shit with a spanner....
stevo1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 23:43   #38
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

going to add this to the turbo guide thread based on the help Ross has given above, good example that if you shop round you can do it on a budget and that goes on all scales just depends how pretty you want certain things
Old 13th June 2011, 23:59   #39
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

170bhp on low boost really doesn't sound worth the effort to me

i put my turbo on still using standard internals and saw 230bhp at 9.5psi. only thin i had was a 1.9mm hg to lower the compression slightly. i ran the car on more boost too and still had no issues with it and it did make for a genuinely quick car.
just a bit of extra info to add there, you don't need to go all forged to get a decent power gain.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 00:03   #40
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
170bhp on low boost really doesn't sound worth the effort to me

i put my turbo on still using standard internals and saw 230bhp at 9.5psi. only thin i had was a 1.9mm hg to lower the compression slightly. i ran the car on more boost too and still had no issues with it and it did make for a genuinely quick car.
just a bit of extra info to add there, you don't need to go all forged to get a decent power gain.
totally agree thre..cant understand how you can get as little as 170hp on a turbo 16v?? what psi? 3-4lol..

maddison's car is running proof things can work without spending shit loads.

also to add, im going to expect around 280hp'ish when mine is mapped very soon.. and thats with standard internals.