Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 15th January 2013, 20:19   #1
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): Clio RS200 Cup, Twingo RS133, Triumph Street Tripl
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Jordysport has a spectacular aura aboutJordysport has a spectacular aura about
Default New Custom PC Setup

well the time has come to upgrade my current setup:

Foxconn Flaming Blade Motherboard
i7-950
Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler
Bitfenix survivor case
Thermaltake 775W PSU
3TB WD HDD
250GB WD Barracuda
Innox3D 460 OC GFX
Kingston Hyper X DDR3 Triple Channel 6GB ram

Just can't handle what i throw at it for work. I use Solidworks & Star-ccm+ on a daily basis. and just can't handle it in terms of RAM and really needs an SSD and a much better GFX. Got around £1,200 to spend of course built in components, just wondering on others thoughts on components as i've been out of the field since i built my last pc (18 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto_VTR View Post
you're a cunt. welcome to saxp, no fucker likes you.
Jordysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 20:47   #2
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

I'd say 8GB or 16GB it... also SSD's will make a big difference with access speeds and boot times.

Other than that its not a bad machine at all.
I would suggest, gettin the card you need. Upgrading RAM and think about clocking it if you really use some super intensive stuff. Perhaps your RAM is running at 1333mhz too. Not 1600 or what ever its capable of.

I wouldn't think you'd need to spend anywhere near 1200 quid, but it certainly will help you get a capable card and some RAM.

Have you rebuilt it recently ? A clean install like ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho

Last edited by Carlvtr88; 15th January 2013 at 20:51.
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 22:05   #3
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlvtr88 View Post
I'd say 8GB or 16GB it... also SSD's will make a big difference with access speeds and boot times.

Other than that its not a bad machine at all.
I would suggest, gettin the card you need. Upgrading RAM and think about clocking it if you really use some super intensive stuff. Perhaps your RAM is running at 1333mhz too. Not 1600 or what ever its capable of.

I wouldn't think you'd need to spend anywhere near 1200 quid, but it certainly will help you get a capable card and some RAM.

Have you rebuilt it recently ? A clean install like ?
The spec i listed is my current setup which is pretty shit, won't handle CFD at all. I can't upgrade ram because its triple channel and out of slots, its already clocked at 4ghz.

Like hell is my ram running at 1333mhz try more like 2000mhz+ its the T1 version OC'd

I'm building a new system will use this one alongside the new system if the CFD starts munching into that aswell

clean install on the 25th December BSOD :'( . I'm wanting a new setup as I'm the first in the area to be getting fibre optic broadband!!! woop! were on 0.8mb atm so predicted 76mb is nice.

Quote:
Old 15th January 2013, 23:22   #4
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

I wouldn't say its pretty shit though mate....bit harsh on your own system lol I've seen far far worse.
Seems like you've done all you can regarding getting max out of it.....

You thought about a new board and one of the newest i7's with a new gpu ?
Quote:
Old 16th January 2013, 00:48   #5
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
I wouldn't say its pretty shit though mate....bit harsh on your own system lol I've seen far far worse.
Seems like you've done all you can regarding getting max out of it.....

You thought about a new board and one of the newest i7's with a new gpu ?
I suppose, but its what i'm used to, I've always built my own pc's so my view is relative. I had a PC in the 90's that cost over £4,000 to build, it was a monster back in those days, my pc previous to this one was when the first 8800 series gfx came out, with a E6600 intel that must of been 5+ years ago now.

the fact is my limitations are write & read speeds and ram capacity (speed is fine) I can easily get the HDD requirements by a 6Gb/s hdd or a ssd. but to get extra capacity i have to change Mobo if i do that I might aswell go for a newer i7 as you say 1155 or 2011, then my gpu needs a shove so pretty much a new system. wish i didn't go triple channel now,

my gpu atm can't even handle TDU2 on basic Gfx settings gets upto 70degc. even tho i have 4x 120mm fans and 2 x 150mm fans, am currently running with no side panel to keep temps down.

Unfortunately my requirements are not of high end gamers, if it was it would be easy, and my current system would be ok for that. need to have an indepth look at the new chipsets but a highend i5 looks quite promising in terms of OC along with a 4x dual channel 8gb 2000mhz cards, should sort me out, possible a 4gb nvid card.

Quote:
Old 16th January 2013, 09:00   #6
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordysport View Post
I suppose, but its what i'm used to, I've always built my own pc's so my view is relative. I had a PC in the 90's that cost over £4,000 to build, it was a monster back in those days, my pc previous to this one was when the first 8800 series gfx came out, with a E6600 intel that must of been 5+ years ago now.

the fact is my limitations are write & read speeds and ram capacity (speed is fine) I can easily get the HDD requirements by a 6Gb/s hdd or a ssd. but to get extra capacity i have to change Mobo if i do that I might aswell go for a newer i7 as you say 1155 or 2011, then my gpu needs a shove so pretty much a new system. wish i didn't go triple channel now,

my gpu atm can't even handle TDU2 on basic Gfx settings gets upto 70degc. even tho i have 4x 120mm fans and 2 x 150mm fans, am currently running with no side panel to keep temps down.

Unfortunately my requirements are not of high end gamers, if it was it would be easy, and my current system would be ok for that. need to have an indepth look at the new chipsets but a highend i5 looks quite promising in terms of OC along with a 4x dual channel 8gb 2000mhz cards, should sort me out, possible a 4gb nvid card.
TBF mate, i have no idea what this program is you run (Solidworks & Star-ccm+ /CFD) but its fuckin greedy haha. The machine im running here at work is an i7 2600 quad core with 12 GB. I think there is a noticable increase in performance with the new revisions of the I7's and i5's, as opposed to the clarkdale chips for example.

What is it you do, out of interest ? You some sort of computer aided structural design engineer or something ? I had a quick look at Star-CCM.

Also, 0.8 meg...aah thats just excruciatingly painful. Glad to hear your having some fibre installed. I've had fibre for the last 10 years, but its only 30meg. More than enough for a stand-alone machine though.
Quote:

Last edited by Carlvtr88; 16th January 2013 at 09:10.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:17   #7
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
TBF mate, i have no idea what this program is you run (Solidworks & Star-ccm+ /CFD) but its fuckin greedy haha. The machine im running here at work is an i7 2600 quad core with 12 GB. I think there is a noticable increase in performance with the new revisions of the I7's and i5's, as opposed to the clarkdale chips for example.

What is it you do, out of interest ? You some sort of computer aided structural design engineer or something ? I had a quick look at Star-CCM.

Also, 0.8 meg...aah thats just excruciatingly painful. Glad to hear your having some fibre installed. I've had fibre for the last 10 years, but its only 30meg. More than enough for a stand-alone machine though.
well the programs themselves solidworks & starccm are one of the most power hungry programs for RAM, graphics and processing power, basically its an iterative program. on their own for small models such as wishbones on a car my system is fine it flies through it, But when i'm running a full car model with rotating wheels etc etc it can't handle it at all.

0.8meg is on a good day tbh, only recently upgraded from dial up. as that was faster than the broadband around here for a long time. I think were one of the first in the SW to get fibre bar from the city centre's.

Quote:
Old 16th January 2013, 12:40   #8
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Passmark7.0

(running 32bit atm after clean install as i couldn't find 64bit but will be installing in a mo)

CPU - 4413.6 (standard not OC'd)
2D GFX - 332.5
3D GFX - 2876.1
Memory - 873.1
Disk - 317.5
CD - N/A

Total 1192.0

Quote:
Old 19th January 2013, 00:15   #9
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Do the applications support hyperthreading? If not, your i7 is utterly pointless.

Just buy this, problem solved - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-246-OE
Old 19th January 2013, 00:18   #10
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum

Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Or this if you do need an i7 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-047-OP
Old 19th January 2013, 01:26   #11
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Do the applications support hyperthreading? If not, your i7 is utterly pointless.

Just buy this, problem solved - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-246-OE
Indeed you are correct, MOST of my programs perform better without hyperthreading but some do, but most of the heavy duty ones hate hyperthreading. hence why I'm looking at an i5,

just to clarify the spec listed is my old PC with the i7-950 which was Not spec'd for this application.

I am not a fan of built pc's prefer to DIY and get the cable routing right. but atm looking at a partial upgrade package of £500 which consists of.

i5 3570k
Asus p5z77-v lx
corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 1866mhz
ocz vertex 4 256gb ssd
corsair h80i cpu cooler

Quote:
Old 20th January 2013, 17:16   #12
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordysport View Post
Indeed you are correct, MOST of my programs perform better without hyperthreading but some do, but most of the heavy duty ones hate hyperthreading. hence why I'm looking at an i5,

just to clarify the spec listed is my old PC with the i7-950 which was Not spec'd for this application.

I am not a fan of built pc's prefer to DIY and get the cable routing right. but atm looking at a partial upgrade package of £500 which consists of.

i5 3570k
Asus p5z77-v lx
corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 1866mhz
ocz vertex 4 256gb ssd
corsair h80i cpu cooler
I've built my own for the past 13 years but last year I took the plunge and got a ready built system from OCUK. Was no more expensive than buying parts separately and all pre OC'd and built (very well I might add).

Can't fault it, I'd strongly advise it as an option.

P.S. Stay away from OCZ SSD's, they are the worst in the world for reliability and most fail.
Old 21st January 2013, 04:58   #13
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

It needs 16gb of ram, 8 is normally sufficient, but seeing as you want to majorly upgrade.

You need an SSD like you said.

460 isn't a bad card though, i'd upgrade the ram and ssd first.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:33   #14
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
It needs 16gb of ram, 8 is normally sufficient, but seeing as you want to majorly upgrade.
Pointless if the apps aren't x64.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:30   #15
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Pointless if the apps aren't x64.
of course there 64bit, ALL of my power intensive programs are 64bit along with my OS now, so Passmark is a bit higher at 1900. I've got starccm+ now just waiting on Solidworks 64bit so will let you all know how it performs but still looking for a partial upgrade of sorts at some point.

Quote:
Old 24th January 2013, 10:31   #16
Jordysport
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post

You need an SSD like you said.

460 isn't a bad card though, i'd upgrade the ram and ssd first.
Yes but to upgrade Ram i need a different mobo, if i get a different mobo then need a new CPU and Cooler so thats why I listed parts above.

Quote: