Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 17th March 2009, 18:02   #1
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!
Default What do you reckon

Do you reckon its worth trading in my 400D for a 40D???

I can take my camera in at the price i paid and just pay the remaining balance which will be something like £300-£400 i think. I've been starring at the 40D at work for ages and i really want it.

The lenses i have will still work with the 40D as well so its all good. Just a shame my spare batteries wont fit lol.

Any thoughts?
Old 17th March 2009, 18:06   #2
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

money you spend on a 40d, i would get some better glass
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:20   #3
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

The 40D comes with better glass. The 17-85IS is going to be a million times better that the kit lens on the 400D.

Better built camera, better quality, just overall it is better.

I do see where you are coming from though Jay.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:30   #4
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

i would say just get better lenses.

ive just been looking at upgrading the kit lenses i have on my camera.

i would love to upgrade to a canon, but at my level of photography i cant justify spending on a new camera when i can just get good lenes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:34   #5
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
The 40D comes with better glass. The 17-85IS is going to be a million times better that the kit lens on the 400D.

Better built camera, better quality, just overall it is better.

I do see where you are coming from though Jay.
no its not, the 17-85 IS is SHITE, i spent ages, i mean ages looking at getting this glass, i wanted it to perform, it looked so good for the money, but after doing extensive research on sites and on forums, i found out the realy truth, stay away from this lens mate, honestly.

do what i did mate, sell your 400d and buy a second hand 30d, i made money on mine, id never buy a new camera now, or a lens at that matter. as long as you buy a good one, its fine, and saves you 30% + on price.

check this site for comparison to the 18-55mm mk2, then check out the full review on the 17-85, its not a great lens mate.

linky

oh in the end i got a tamron 17-55 2.8 lens, totaly different breed, its a great lens, used by many.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:41   #6
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Hmm i dont know what to do lol.

I think i just like the idea of having a new bigger camera. I took mine out last weekend and it seems so small to hold. Just doesnt seem very sharp with the kit lens tbh. Dont really want to splash out masses on lenses for it.

Im in ponderland atm.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:44   #7
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

what ever you do matt dont get the 17-85, unless its second hand and cheap.

if i were you, id stick with the 400d for a while, but keep a lookout for a cheap 30d, i made money on mine, i sold my 400d for £270 and bought a 30d for £230.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:44   #8
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!

jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

i was in the same boat the other week Matt

my choice was a sigma 24-70mm f2.8 instead...

do you have a battery grip for the 400d?
Old 17th March 2009, 18:47   #9
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Nope no grip Jay.

The 17-85IS is the kit lens that comes with the 40D though and were i would be going they only do the Camera+Lens.

Not being funny but when i was at brands ages ago with Sayer, both his 30D and 40D pissed all over my 400D i just cant get any decent sharp images with. What i dont want to do is buy a £300-£400 lens and the IQ still be crap.

Limbo Land for one please, Singe Ticket Thanks.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:49   #10
don55
Established Member

the lens takes the pictures not the camera

get a new lens, a fast one, that will make sharp images, the sensor has fuck all to do with motion sharpness. its how well you can use the sensor, IE what it sees through the lens
Old 17th March 2009, 18:52   #11
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

hence why i am looking for new lenses not a new camera.

my tamron 70-300 shits on my kit lenses. so its obviously not the camera. lol

ill probably make a new thread soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:52   #12
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Hmmm, well i may wait to see Sayer again and ask him very nicely if i can use one of his on my camera and see the difference.

Still the 40D has liveview and is just a better camera lol. I dont know why but i still want the 40D for some reason lol.

Slaps himself around the face several times!

**EDIT** - Viper my Sigma 70-300mm and 50mm F2.8 sill arent 100% great tbh. I think im just trying to convinse myself i need it.
Old 17th March 2009, 18:54   #13
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
Nope no grip Jay.

The 17-85IS is the kit lens that comes with the 40D though and were i would be going they only do the Camera+Lens.

Not being funny but when i was at brands ages ago with Sayer, both his 30D and 40D pissed all over my 400D i just cant get any decent sharp images with. What i dont want to do is buy a £300-£400 lens and the IQ still be crap.

Limbo Land for one please, Singe Ticket Thanks.
a decent lens would help you here more than 40d...

if you are at fcs you can have a play with the sigma (if the fucking thing ever arrives)

why not get better glass now then a better body at christmas time? if you're anyhting like me you never know what to tell people to get you
Old 17th March 2009, 18:59   #14
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

I doubt anyone would be able to afford to get me a camera lol.

Wasnt thinking about buying new Glass tbh never thought about it. Just thought i'd like a newer camera and start getting into it again and go from there. Then buy new glass christmas and next year.

I think if i dont trade mine in and pay the Extra ill just wait till christmas or next year for glass or something. (only was going to do it as i thought it would be a good upgrade)
Old 17th March 2009, 19:35   #15
don55
Established Member

sigma 70-300mm is not a great lens, so if you are having troubles its prob that.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:35   #16
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

400D is a perfectly capable body.

No point upgrading it as you currently dont have alot of decent glass.

Spend the money on top notch glass which will serve you better. The 40D is out of date now anyway, where as a lens doesnt get outdated as often as a body
Old 17th March 2009, 20:38   #17
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

And the sensor isnt what effects IQ really its the glass!!

Sayers 10D is really out of date in comparrison to the 400D even. (he doesnt have a 30D just the 40D and his 10D).

I know several people who managed to take very good motorsport images with 350/400Ds, buying a new body wont fix the faults of the slow glass/bad skills.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:10   #18
don55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
And the sensor isnt what effects IQ really its the glass!!

Sayers 10D is really out of date in comparrison to the 400D even. (he doesnt have a 30D just the 40D and his 10D).

I know several people who managed to take very good motorsport images with 350/400Ds, buying a new body wont fix the faults of the slow glass/bad skills.
as i said, its the lens that really takes the picture.

like ryan says, a new body wont fix problems stemmed from a shit lens
Old 17th March 2009, 21:12   #19
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Different Glass also gives the individual alot more versatility than an upgraded body.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:14   #20
don55
Established Member

a body cant help create a larger aperture to get a faster speed, but a nice new lens can.