Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 10th June 2017, 10:12   #1
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!
Default tricky to select gears

106 gti, standard. Its hard to change gear in the sense that it wont "go" into gear, but the lever and motion is nice an smooth. However if you raise the clutch pedal and then depress it again, nine times out of ten its fine to change gear. So first time you try to change gear it wont go into the next gear -almost like you hit a mechanical stop - but if you raise then depress clutch that normally sorts it.

Shite clutch cable and hence not fully disengaging clutch?

Thanks in advance
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 14:43   #2
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes have that problem when trying to engage reverse when was the last time the gearbox oil was changed ??
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 00:26   #3
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
I sometimes have that problem when trying to engage reverse when was the last time the gearbox oil was changed ??
About four months ago
Old 11th June 2017, 11:39   #4
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

ive had it "stick" in 2nd before and I couldn't change out... as you say it was like something was physically not allowing it to come out...

turned the car off and tapped the linkages to no avail but started it up again and it was easy to move... not had that issue since... but worth checking the linkages are ok

Adjustment in the cable is also worth a shot
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 11:54   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

If it's an auto adjusting clutch, that could be your issue. the rat shit maybe slightly worn inside.
Old 11th June 2017, 18:24   #6
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
If it's an auto adjusting clutch, that could be your issue. the rat shit maybe slightly worn inside.
Kinda what I thought. Manual adjuster clutch cable coming up!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd September 2017, 20:51   #7
02FiveO
L-plater

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Furio VTS 1.4 2002
02FiveO is on a distinguished road

My Saxo Furio had this problem, mainly selecting reverse.
Had the clutch manual adjuster nuts slightly adjusted by local garage and has bought me another 5 months so far. Not quite back to kangerooing and struggling with reverse, but I know its gradually coming back!
May only be like half a turn as the garage said you can go too far the other way and create another problem.... clutch slipping.
I also know this means my clutch will give up within the next 6 months, maybe longer?
I've no idea how many times you can adjust, before its deathnail.
02FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 12:01   #8
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

there's no synchro on reverse so its quite normal, come to a stop lift the clutch in neutral then try reverse.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 21:05   #9
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FiveO View Post
My Saxo Furio had this problem, mainly selecting reverse.
Had the clutch manual adjuster nuts slightly adjusted by local garage and has bought me another 5 months so far. Not quite back to kangerooing and struggling with reverse, but I know its gradually coming back!
May only be like half a turn as the garage said you can go too far the other way and create another problem.... clutch slipping.
I also know this means my clutch will give up within the next 6 months, maybe longer?
I've no idea how many times you can adjust, before its deathnail.
Remember to engage reverse you need to come hard to the right then straight back. If you try to "cut the corner" so to speak, it won't go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
there's no synchro on reverse so its quite normal, come to a stop lift the clutch in neutral then try reverse.
Either that or if you've got shitty linkages putting it into 1st gear when stops then going straight into reverse normally does it for me in the past.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:18   #10
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

sounds like clutch not dis -engaging enough
I always dump auto adjust cables for manual with an uprated clutch --or they will fail
other thing which causes bad engagement is wrong grade of gear oil

75w/80 --not 75w/90

and the favorite --carpet under clutch pedal-+lazy drivers not pushing it to the floor
Old 15th November 2017, 17:29   #11
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Having this sort of issue with reverse is normal for a Saxo. I’ve owned 5 and they’ve all done something similar, double clutching to engage reverse just becomes normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
sounds like clutch not dis -engaging enough
I always dump auto adjust cables for manual with an uprated clutch --or they will fail
other thing which causes bad engagement is wrong grade of gear oil

75w/80 --not 75w/90

and the favorite --carpet under clutch pedal-+lazy drivers not pushing it to the floor
We have a similar issue engagement with a VTR on all gears, which started right after changed the gearbox oil after losing a driveshaft. I’m pretty sure we used the correct oil however we don’t know how much was required so we just filled the gearbox as if it were empty. Could this cause similar symptoms?
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote