Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 8th March 2014, 10:15   #1
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Audi a3 1.8sport,kawasaki zx9r c2,Yamaha R1 track
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
wullvfr is on a distinguished road
Default 2 day lifting program

I've been thinking about doing the weights again but I don't want to interrupt my running so I was thinking of a 2 day a week program that would help me gain a bit more strength and definiton etc when the fat hopefully fecks off......

Recently I've been training 5 days per week at least and sometimes I'd do some light work in the house on Saturday and Sunday but this last week I've done.....

Monday: gym(running)

Tuesday: high intensity workout(circuit training,skipping)

Wednesday: gym(running)

Thursday: high intensity workout(circuit training,shadow boxing)

Friday: gym(running)

Weekend: high intensity workout and or a bit of skipping and shadow boxing.

Now previous weeks I've been doing running each weekday and sometimes followed it up with high intensity training in the house but I feel I don't have enough time for this,so i was thinking of reducing it down a bit and bringing some weights into the equation.

I was thinking......

Mon: running

Tue: weights

Wed: running

Thur: weights

Fri: running

Then on the weekend I could do some high intensity training,I don't want to leave skipping out or any boxing training as I like to keep my skills as sharp as possible and I enjoy it,and doing it twice a week should be enough......

The problem I have is what weight exercises should I do as its only two days and I want it to be as beneficial as possible.i use to do the weights about 10 yrs ago and I know I can't cram it all into two workouts......

So I was thinking that for these two days compound exercises would be the best,I don't want to get massive,but I'd like to get a tad stronger,improve my look and definition etc especially as I should be losing some fat and I know this will help with losing fat.

But my gym is pretty shit with regards to free weights,so the usual squats,dead lifts etc are out of the equation.

Tbh I can't remember all the weight machines that are there as I don't really take much notice but iirc there is a leg press machine,bench press machine,lat pull down,high low pulley machine,leg curl,leg extension,pull up and dip machine and I'm not sure what else.There is dumbbells but they only go to about 32kg I think.

Any info or advice on what exercises I could do on these two days would be much appreciated,I could then work out a program for these days and get cracking.....
wullvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 15:43   #2
b0t13
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Vts
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!

What are you goals exactly as it sounds abit all over the place,

If you cant do squats dead lifts or benching then ur not gonna be doing much useful, esp with only two days!

Just try hitting every muscle both days hard for low reps, this will increase your strength but don't expect awesome muscle gainz as you won't see them with the above routine
b0t13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 18:06   #3
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0t13 View Post
What are you goals exactly as it sounds abit all over the place,

If you cant do squats dead lifts or benching then ur not gonna be doing much useful, esp with only two days!

Just try hitting every muscle both days hard for low reps, this will increase your strength but don't expect awesome muscle gainz as you won't see them with the above routine
I thought I explained it in my original post,obviously not.

Sadly the facilities aren't there for doing deadlifts and squats,nothing I can do about that though.

Like I said I want to get a bit stronger and with losing fat look a bit sharper,a bit more definition.I'm hoping that doing the weights a few days a week will help with this,I'm sure it will be more beneficial than not.

I'm thinking

Tuesday: back,chest and legs

Thursday: shoulders,bi's and tri's

Back: wide pull downs and rows

Chest: incline and flat press

Legs:leg press(sadly can't do squats or deadlifts) and maybe leg extension and curls to add an extra leg exercise

Bi's: d'bell hammer curls

Tri's: dips(3 sets of whatever until failure)

Shoulders: machine press and standing dumbbell press

I'm thinking 3 sets of 15,12,10 or similar for them all......

How does that sound?
Old 8th March 2014, 18:20   #4
chompy
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Because racecar
chompy is on a distinguished road

Do deadlifts witg dumbells if there isn't a bar to use. Do squats with them as well, hold the dumbells on your soulders.

There's always a way
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 18:31   #5
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
Do deadlifts witg dumbells if there isn't a bar to use. Do squats with them as well, hold the dumbells on your soulders.

There's always a way
Only downside is the weight of them but they'll do I suppose,its better than nothing but iirc they go upto 32kg so 64kgs.
Old 8th March 2014, 18:33   #6
chompy
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullvfr View Post
Only downside is the weight of them but they'll do I suppose,its better than nothing but iirc they go upto 32kg so 64kgs.
Better than nothing. Just increase the reps if you use them
Old 8th March 2014, 19:57   #7
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

So you're going to do the biggest three muscle groups, on the same day?

Go and do some research instead of making constant posts, and I don't mean that in a nasty way.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 21:47   #8
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
So you're going to do the biggest three muscle groups, on the same day?

Go and do some research instead of making constant posts, and I don't mean that in a nasty way.

Where were you mate when I was asking for tips on what I should do on these days?

I said in my original post that it wasn't ideal doing a two day a week program so there's no need to make me sound like a complete fanny,I know a fair bit about weight training as like I said I trained a bit 10yrs ago,I've probably forgot more than some know but that's beside the point,I still wanted to come on here and ask for some info and tips and yours isn't very helpful.

With that being said,I still feel compound exercises would be more beneficial and the last time I checked compound exercises is aimed at working the majority of the muscle groups from 1 exercise......so working more than one major muscle group is part and parcel with doing compound exercises.

What do you suggest then mate?
Old 9th March 2014, 08:54   #9
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

I suggest you go and do some research of your own.

Why would you do a day full of compound exercise followed by a day full of isolation? The problem is that I think even if someone did try and help you and explain stuff, it would take them a long time, you may not understand and you probably wouldn't listen. You can find decent splits and full programs at places like tnation and bodybuilding.com. I don't mean to come across a prick, I just think you have an awful lot to learn and this isn't the place to start.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:08   #10
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
I suggest you go and do some research of your own.

Why would you do a day full of compound exercise followed by a day full of isolation? The problem is that I think even if someone did try and help you and explain stuff, it would take them a long time, you may not understand and you probably wouldn't listen. You can find decent splits and full programs at places like tnation and bodybuilding.com. I don't mean to come across a prick, I just think you have an awful lot to learn and this isn't the place to start.
You sir are a dick,"it would take them a while to explain it to you"....

Right what do you know then,instead of being an arse say something constructive,you're trying to come across as a know it all but it seems to me that you now fuck all......you're proper fucking me off now.

Last edited by wullvfr; 9th March 2014 at 09:13.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:14   #11
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Also why don't you look at my program and change it and say "this will work better"

I did ask the question "does this look alright"......

But instead of above you come across like a complete arse,why do you even bother posting.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:30   #12
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

You're an ignorant fuck who doesn't have any base knowledge to start. You can send me all the abusive essay sized pm's in the world, but it doesn't change the fact you need to go and educate yourself first so you understand the suggestions people would make.

I decided to post, because you told me not to.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:46   #13
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
You're an ignorant fuck who doesn't have any base knowledge to start. You can send me all the abusive essay sized pm's in the world, but it doesn't change the fact you need to go and educate yourself first so you understand the suggestions people would make.

I decided to post, because you told me not to.
I'm the ignorant fuck,I asked for some help and you did the complete opposite.....why don't you offer some constructive help and if you're so much of a know it all with regards to this why not give me something to work with?

I don't need to educate myself,I'm only looking for a simple two day program and as I don't want to look like arnie why does it need to be absolutely spot on,I would easily understand suggestions people make but so far there hasn't really been any and yours is far from it.....

Go do me a favour and go fuck yourself,I was trying to do the right thing by taking it to pm but if you want to get like this publicly then that suits me,you are a fud,all your posts or here are fucking pointless and full of shit.......like I said get the fuckk off my thread you prick.......
Old 9th March 2014, 10:53   #14
chompy
Established Member

Wull, if it was me I'd segregate it over the two days. Do legs and back one day then chest and arms the other.

Also, don't forget to work on your forearms. Everyone seems to forget about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to chompy For This Useful Post:
Old 9th March 2014, 11:06   #15
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

Right ok, I'll try and help then. I actually wasn't being a dick, it often gets said on here that someone would be better of going on a dedicated site for better quality info and 9/10 times, someone on here puts a lot of time and effort in to helping someone and it gets ignored. I genuinely think you'd get better advice and info if you just went to a site like tnation or bodybuilding.com or even a running forum and asked there.

What are your EXACT goals? You're obviously doing all this running for a reason, so what's the reason? Distance? Speed? Better cardiovascular fitness in general? Competing or what?
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe For This Useful Post:
Old 9th March 2014, 13:04   #16
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

I think I might go and try those sites but I thought I'd get some help on here,enough that meant I didn't need to join a forum for just one question.

My main goal with the running is to improve my 5k times,run faster and for longer,but I wanted to incorporate some weight training to mix it up a little.

I don't want to get massive or anything like that,my strength at the moment is quite good but with doing the circuit training I feel so much better and I feel its helping with my 5k times as when I was this weight previously I was slower than I am now.

So I'm thinking that doing the weights would help me a bit as well,it should help with fat loss as well and generally be more beneficial than not so all I'm wanting is a program that would work two days a week,maybe even a 3 day program as I can mix it up a little.
Old 9th March 2014, 14:44   #17
McGuire86
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): '08 Civic Type R GT FN2
McGuire86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullvfr View Post
I think I might go and try those sites but I thought I'd get some help on here,enough that meant I didn't need to join a forum for just one question.

My main goal with the running is to improve my 5k times,run faster and for longer,but I wanted to incorporate some weight training to mix it up a little.

I don't want to get massive or anything like that,my strength at the moment is quite good but with doing the circuit training I feel so much better and I feel its helping with my 5k times as when I was this weight previously I was slower than I am now.

So I'm thinking that doing the weights would help me a bit as well,it should help with fat loss as well and generally be more beneficial than not so all I'm wanting is a program that would work two days a week,maybe even a 3 day program as I can mix it up a little.
This always makes me chuckle, don't worry you wont.
Old 9th March 2014, 14:58   #18
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuire86 View Post
This always makes me chuckle, don't worry you wont.

Thank god for that,I was worried I'd end up immobilised from having such huge muscles......wouldn't help much with the boxing mind you.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:51   #19
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

Right, my issue with doing your chest, back and legs in the same day is that that is a hell of a lot of stress on the nervous system and your three biggest muscle groups in one go. Yes you will need compound lifts, but that program that was given to you was compounds tuesday, isolation thursday...

Now, you're going to do all of that on Tuesday, then you still have 2 days running and another weights session to do? Are you really going to be able to train as hard as possible after Tuesday when you just beasted yourself?

My gut feeling is that you should probably do deadlifts and shoulder presses one day, chest presses and barbell rows the next. Equal amounts of sets and reps. Normally I'd say squat, thing is, running is so quad dominant that you're probably going to want to stretch your quads out on the weight days and maybe do light/ body weight squats on a Friday so you can recover before your next run. I can't imagine running well with sore quads.

If you're after strength, then you want to be going heavy, but as endurance seems to be your goal, then 15 reps I guess... You'll still gain strength from it as well.
Old 9th March 2014, 19:12   #20
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Right, my issue with doing your chest, back and legs in the same day is that that is a hell of a lot of stress on the nervous system and your three biggest muscle groups in one go. Yes you will need compound lifts, but that program that was given to you was compounds tuesday, isolation thursday...

Now, you're going to do all of that on Tuesday, then you still have 2 days running and another weights session to do? Are you really going to be able to train as hard as possible after Tuesday when you just beasted yourself?

My gut feeling is that you should probably do deadlifts and shoulder presses one day, chest presses and barbell rows the next. Equal amounts of sets and reps. Normally I'd say squat, thing is, running is so quad dominant that you're probably going to want to stretch your quads out on the weight days and maybe do light/ body weight squats on a Friday so you can recover before your next run. I can't imagine running well with sore quads.

If you're after strength, then you want to be going heavy, but as endurance seems to be your goal, then 15 reps I guess... You'll still gain strength from it as well.

This sounds like a plan and not ott,I'll give that a try.

I was concerned about the wed run but I do have the weekend days to fall on,so wed could be a rest day.....