Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 18th October 2007, 01:32   #1
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!
Default HP and Top Speed

Ok homies... This is just from another thread where we tried to establish how much power would be needed to get a Saxo to certain speeds...

I'm kind of hoping the thread will throw up a discussion where we can make the equation a bit more accurate and include more factors...so feel free to add inputs, criticisms etc

NOTE: These are fly hp figures. The wheels used are VTS standard 195/45/R15 and assuming that the tyres are capable of doing these speeds.

The Equation
Power required = 1.0505x10**(-3) x Cd x A x V**3
Cd = drag coefficient (no units)
A = front area of vehicle in m**2 (metres squared)
V = Velocity in m/s (metres per second)
1.0502x10**(-3) is a correction factor. Thats 1.0505(to the power '-3')

NOTE: It doesnt fully take into account rolling resistance although I've tried to factor it in.

This can be reversed so you can work out the top speed of a Saxo if you know the hp... obviously it wont be totally accurate as you could get peak hp at low rpm i.e well before you get near your top speed, but its a good indication of what is possible if you had the correct gearing.

Standard VTS
Power Output: 120hp @ 6600rpm
Top Speed: 127mph @ 6485rpm

Miles Per Hour to Metres Per Second
127mph to m/s is calculated by:
127*0.4444
which equals: 56.44m/s

Saxo Coefficient of Drag
the Cd (Drag Coefficient) of a saxo is: 0.34

Saxo Frontal Area
and the frontal area is: 1.82m**2

Therefore Power is calculated by:
Power = 1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(56.44**3)

Power:
116.9hp - which is about right as top speed does not occur at peak power for the VTS, although the calculated value is probably a bit low as the power curve tends to plateau as peak power it met. However it'll do for the sake of this text.

so thats cool.

HP requirement to reach 164mph
Using readily available parts the VTS engine in standard tune is capable of 164mph @ 7250rpm running a VTR box

We want 164mph
which is 72.88m/s
so the power equals 1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(72.88**3)

which gives around 252hp required.

HP requirement to reach 176mph
Using the same parts as above but with the limiter raised to 7800rpm a theoretical top speed of 176mph can be achieved.

We want 176mph
which is 78.22m/s
so the power equals 1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(78.22**3)

which gives around 311hp required.

HP requirement to reach 200mph
Ok, there isnt a box in the saxo range that'll provide the correct ratio's to achieve this speed but just for a laugh lets see...

We want 200mph
which is 88.88m/s
so the power equals 1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(88.88**3)

which gives around 456hp required.

HP requirement to reach 300mph
Right, now I'm taking the biscuit here but lets say you wanted a saxo(standard shell) top fuel car for trips to McRags.

We want 300mph
which is 133.332m/s
so the power equals 1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(133.332**3)

which gives around 1540hp required.

As you can see there is a considerable rise in the required horsepower to achieve even relatively small leaps in top speed.

Hope you find this helpful/interesting
Any questions or abuse then post away

ads
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry123 For This Useful Post:
Old 18th October 2007, 01:42   #2
James
Saxperience Addict
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Beeeemer
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!James is absolutely fabulous!

How bored are you...

Im only playing, good information sayer
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 02:17   #3
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

i asked the question lol.
Old 18th October 2007, 02:24   #4
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

by the figures and the way my brain works to get a saxo to 400mph you will need 3200hp

so seeing a road car being produced that will hit 300mph in the next 10-20years could infact be pretty lkely?
Old 18th October 2007, 02:52   #5
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

I didnt go any further dude because the cars beyond about 300mph (well before that tbh) begin to experience the compressibility effects of air and all the nasty stuff associated with that. most aerodynamic calculations go out the window after about Mach0.3
Old 18th October 2007, 02:57   #6
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

yea i know what your saying..
Old 18th October 2007, 06:53   #7
nazz1
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Saxoless
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
nazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to beholdnazz1 is a splendid one to behold

Imagine a saxo with like 2000bhp. WOW
nazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 08:48   #8
Karl
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): LY R26
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!Karl is absolutely fabulous!

~ nice info Sayer.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 09:14   #9
-Jason-
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Fabia vRS
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!-Jason- is absolutely fabulous!

Very interesting
-Jason- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 09:16   #10
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Nice work Ads.

I expect Ryan may have his work cut out for him here with deleting posts that go roughly like: "My friend has an xfactor air filter he got at the market and he has gone off the clocks in his vtr."

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 10:55   #11
Scattle
Saxperience Addict
South East Region Member

Car(s): Megane 225 Cup
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!Scattle is absolutely fabulous!

Nice one good info.
Scattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 11:20   #12
vidal
Established Member

vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!vidal is absolutely fabulous!

Ads, if you get chance, check out David Lean's 1952 film "The Sound Barrier", good clips of planes hitting an almost impenetrable barrier as the aircraft got faster, pretty piss-poor 1950s stiff upper lip dialogue, but an entertaining way to spend a rainy afternoon. Follow it up with a hefty dose of "The Right Stuff (1983)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Stuff
There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier.
V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupps View Post
Vidal i love you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Vts View Post
sometimes i dont like you being a know it all
vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 12:43   #13
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidal View Post
Ads, if you get chance, check out David Lean's 1952 film "The Sound Barrier", good clips of planes hitting an almost impenetrable barrier as the aircraft got faster, pretty piss-poor 1950s stiff upper lip dialogue, but an entertaining way to spend a rainy afternoon. Follow it up with a hefty dose of "The Right Stuff (1983)"

V.
Cheers man

my aerodynamics lecturer suggested watch The Right Stuff actually. Never had time although its on my list of things to do once Im finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Nice work Ads.

I expect Ryan may have his work cut out for him here with deleting posts that go roughly like: "My friend has an xfactor air filter he got at the market and he has gone off the clocks in his vtr."
I'm waiting for someone to mention their physics defying air filter scott.... only a matter of time.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:44   #14
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JP4urio, 306 DTurbo SportShed
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

I think you two should move in together and film it as a sitcom for BBC4

On a serious note, theyre some impressive calculations
TU-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 12:47   #15
Colin
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo Rally Car Evo 6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Colin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant future

Good read Ads. Spank you.
Smoking Bozos Since 1988
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:51   #16
Joesnow
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk 1 VTS poseidon blue
Joesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud of

Good work! The figures seem quite realistic. I could have done with this info a while ago when someone claimed he could hit the limiter in 5th on his cammed VTS with VTR box! Are these calculations assuming the saxo is a plane/missile?? What happens when you have a boot full of sand, 5 fat people and a dog in the car? What power would you need then? Or would you just need loads of gears?
Joesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:53   #17
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Nice work Ads.

lol!! once again scott you have managed to get me to laugh loudly in pc room at uni.

adam if you dont mind i might add this to the FAQ/sticky for a few weeks.
Old 18th October 2007, 14:23   #18
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

What am I doing wrong Ad, I can't get the calculations to work...

For the first example of 127 mph top speed, you have given the following calculation:

1.0502x10**(-3)*0.34*1.82*(56.44**3)

If I do the math there, I get 366.783, and not 116.9 like you. ???

1.0502x10^-3 = 0.010502
56.44^3 = 56440

So, 0.010502 * 0.34 * 1.82 * 56440 = 366.783. What am I missing ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 15:02   #19
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Toadster, you're a few orders of magnitude out on the correction factor...
1.0502x10**(-3) in decimal form = 0.0010502

and the V^3 is 'Velocity cubed'.
so 56.44^3 = 179788.13

hope that helps man

ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
adam if you dont mind i might add this to the FAQ/sticky for a few weeks.
Go for it man, not much point in posting it if people dont have easy access to the info. As I said earlier though the correction factor is up for discussion as I personally think it's slightly out.
Old 18th October 2007, 19:34   #20
Wayne
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Icelandtic Grey Citroen Saxo VTS 53 Turbo
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!Wayne is absolutely fabulous!

some good information there

Wayne's Turbo S: In Progress. Powered By AS Developments.Signature edited to comply with forum rules: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/misc.php?do=showrules
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote