Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 17th July 2011, 01:27   #41
Brenz
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo Desire 1.1
Brenz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
What do you mean by 'if people bothered to protect a PC properly'?

Not being a nob just genuinely wondering what you mean.
I fix computers for friends and family for a bit of extra cash and I have yet to come across a computer that has been properly protected. Its amazing how many I have seen running the stupid free trials of Norton Anti-virus that expired ages ago and have never been renewed.

I also find many people fail to keep their computers updated, now the first thing I do when fixing a computer is run Windows Update at least twice.

And recently with the extra security features thrown in with Windows while useful are too easy to disable. Then people find them annoying or a mate tells them that one of Windows security features is causing a problem and they just disable them. I rarely see a computer with the Firewall still enabled and most people disable UAC.

So generally most computers I have seen either run no Anti-Virus or an expired trial, don't have the latest Windows updates and have disabled the built in security features which leaves for an unprotected system.

But then while there are people who dont protect their computers there will always be something for me to fix lol.

After using OSX for a few weeks I have found it more unstable than Windows 7 and have now installed Windows on my iMac and it runs so much better. Its more responsive, doesn't constantly crash and tbh there is more software avalibale and its more affordable. I have seen some software that has been 3x more expensive for OSX than Windows.

Also started to find the Apple peripherals really annoying. The Magic Mouse is horrible, it really isnt designed to be used for any substantial amount of time and the DPI is horrible so I have connected up my Logitech G5 instead. Now this really annoys me, Apple are always pushing Macs for design/development work so Graphics, Music, Web Design etc. I was doing some web design a few days ago to find no # key on the Apple Keyboard! They include all the media controls and shit along the top yet don't find the # key important enough to include Either way I don't think it will be long before I end up getting another keyboard as well that has all the keys I would expect.

^^Wow i've written a lot! Boredom sucks haha.
Brenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 01:34   #42
barwell1992
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo vtr 02, 150bhp yamaha FZ1:)
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
barwell1992 is on a distinguished road

most of you saying mac's are amazing have obviously never used a proper PC
Old 17th July 2011, 01:59   #43
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

I fail to see how my PC with the following specs;

Quad core Q6600
4GB RAM
4870x2 1gb

Is going to be unable to beast through anything that apparently runs so spectacularly on a mac, that's not even top end anymore with the i7 out (personally i won't upgrade as I don't max my PC as it is) and socket 1115 motherboard, also my graphics card is two generations old (well one really as when AMD took over ATI they put out a 'new' series without actually changing most of the models in the series, for example the 5770 is the same as the 6770)

Last edited by Bound; 17th July 2011 at 02:01.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 06:13   #44
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Hence why I mentioned Logic AND Pro Tools.

Written off since it doesn't properly do what I need.

Quote:
anyone who is serious about their computers has a PC
All the serious people I know have macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwell1992 View Post
most of you saying mac's are amazing have obviously never used a proper PC
I have 4 PCs, and used a few dozen others. At least one of them must have been a proper one. Please define proper while you're at it.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 12:06   #45
barwell1992
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo vtr 02, 150bhp yamaha FZ1:)
barwell1992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post

All the serious people I know have macs.

I have 4 PCs, and used a few dozen others. At least one of them must have been a proper one. Please define proper while you're at it.
ok proper im my case is a 4ghz e8400 8gb ddr2 1200 ram and 2x 9800gtx+ and thats classes as crap by todays standards BUT it will shit all over most macbook pro's that cost 4x what its worth now annndddd i could pick up most of of the top flight stuff you can get now for the same price as a mac pro and once again in bench marks and games will run rings around the mac

and you have the added benefit of been able upgrading a pc
Old 17th July 2011, 16:00   #46
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
it will shit all over most macbook pro's that cost 4x what its worth
I hope you put video games on the side of that for comparison purposes. Then I honestly doubt you have tried a recent MBpro.

Quote:
annndddd i could pick up most of of the top flight stuff you can get now for the same price as a mac pro and once again in bench marks and games will run rings around the mac
Why don't you do it then. Besides, mac pro is top flight stuff with top of the range components from higher end manufacturers finished with heavyweight top build quality. So I don't see in terms of top flight stuff versus top flight stuff how one is gonna run rings around the other. Once again, I hope you're putting video games on the side because people who buy macpros don't buy them to play around. Then if PCs were so much of a better deal, everyone would be using them including professionals.

Quote:
and you have the added benefit of been able upgrading a pc
To a certain extent. Then macpros can be upgraded too, loads of room for extra RAM and extra cards in there plus a PS unit that will handle it, and front to back stealth ventilation that's already here.

At the end of the day, if all you do is play video games, check your facebook and go on saxperience, you don't need a mac..

Last edited by Manu; 17th July 2011 at 16:04.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:18   #47
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post

Then there was little point in you entering the debate in the first place lol. I've yet to see a Mac run the latest version of Labview properly...
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 17:27   #48
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

At the end of the day people pay their money and make their choices.

There will always be positives and negatives about either machine type.

Personally I love mine and I'm far from an apple fan boy. Others hate them because they don't suit their needs, it does mine.

One thing I will reiterate though is the used Market is very strong, you don't loose too much selling a used mac like you do a pc, which in the modern world isn't a bad thing when systems are out of date so often, and ot everyone is into building a pc at home
Old 17th July 2011, 22:32   #49
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
Then there was little point in you entering the debate in the first place lol.

How does one qualify to enter a mac vs PC debate on some insignificant internet forum lol.

Quote:
I've yet to see a Mac run the latest version of Labview properly...
look harder. My my, SaxP is getting more scientific all of a sudden.
Old 17th July 2011, 22:36   #50
Jackman
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): iTB 205 Rallye, 205 STDT.
Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!Jackman is absolutely fabulous!

I have one, and will never buy a windows again!