Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 29th April 2009, 19:09   #1
mark_89
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr
mark_89 will become famous soon enoughmark_89 will become famous soon enough
Default advice please

hello people got a couple of things i wana ask. what do you think to photography course's such as the BTEC national diploma? i'm thinking of going back to college but not sure if the course is worth the 2 years. Has anyone completed this course or doing it at the mo?
Also what lens would people reccomend for under £500, will mainly be used for motorsport? i have a 450d.
mark_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 00:15   #2
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

North Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fabia VRS PD130/ VTR Mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud of

hi, i use a 55-200mm lens for motorsport, im quite new to this my self, if you read the stickies at the top of the section there are some great treads, hints & tips in there.

For lens i was recommened www.onestop-digital.com/ the service is really good and the lens arrived quite quick.
Old 30th April 2009, 00:20   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for price comparrison.

Id buy a 70-200 F4 L myself with that budget, or stretch to a sigma 2.8L for £600
Old 30th April 2009, 01:53   #4
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

hey mate, whether the course is right for completely depends on what you want to get out it / gain a greater understanding in. Personal having done an ND and nearly completed my BA (hons) in photography & Digital imaging (only 4 weeks left ahhh lol), i found the 2 year ND far more enjoyable in terms of learning and applying techniques in a practical 'hands on' approach. Most the stuff i have learnt on the BA has been heavily theory based as is far more about critical analysis of images etc. therefore lots of essay writting

i would definately recommend an ND course, it gives you a great knowledge and skills base to work upon and i am glad i have done it. i went into it knowing sod all about photography other than i could push a button and sometimes take some ok pics, you will learn all the aspects of how cameras work and on my course i learnt how to develop and process film and handprint my own images both colour and black and white. i also learnt how to use medium format and large format cameras. i was introduced to photoshop and developed a level of understanding so i could happily setup various studio lighting set ups on my own. and much much more. basically it gives you an execellent grounding. however if all you want to do is shoot motorsports stuff then other than the camera functions there might not be that much benefit to you. you might there decided an evening or summer course is enough. you will find that you can still work part time whilst doing the nd course if you need to.

as for lenses i managed to get a canon 70-200mm F4 L series and a kenko x1.4 teleconvertor for about £350 new which is a bargain but you should be able to get them new or nearly new for under £500. normal price is about £325-£375 for the lens 2nd hand and £80 for the teleconvertor. obviously condition and the recent price rises in new equipment will effect the price

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 09:33   #5
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

id stick another £50 on thoes second hand prices.

70-200 f4 is £525 new these days

you would never get the lens and converter for sub £500
Old 30th April 2009, 20:32   #6
mark_89
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr
mark_89 will become famous soon enoughmark_89 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help. i'm just so confused as to what lens to get , i was looking at the 70-200 f4 L yesterday in jessops and it looked a nice bit of kit but for the money i would prefer to have something with abit more range and also IS. If i could find it for as cheap as some of you have said i would buy it but i havent seen it for no less than £500. In your opinions is the IS worth paying the extra for?

I looked at the canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS and thought it seemed good for the price of around £200 and also the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which was around £450. Which would be more suited for motorsport?

James thanks for all the info that has really helped me. I would like to gain knowledge in all aspects of photography so it seems it would be a good course and i'm glad to hear its more practical than theory. Nothing worse than being told how to do stuff but not being able to put it to practise. I did GCSE photography so i'v got some understanding but nothing compared to some of you guys. You seem to have learnt alot through the courses so i can see its going to be worth the time. If you dont mind me asking what are you going to do once you have completed uni? Well done for completing it all by the way

Thanks
mark_89 is offline   Reply With Quote