Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 3rd May 2009, 02:59   #1
streakofpiss
Frequent Poster

streakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant future
Default Which Camera?

Finally taking the plunge and getting a DSLR sometime this month - nothing too expensive though just something to get me started.

I have a budget of around £300, and only really want to buy either a Canon or Nikon Camera (I don't mind buying 2nd hand either).

So far i've looked into the Canon 350d and Nikon D70... I think the 400d is a little out of my price range, and the lack of built in autofocus motor really puts me off the D40 - but that's about as far as my research has took me. :/

So yeah, I'm open to any links or suggestions!

Last edited by streakofpiss; 3rd May 2009 at 03:01.
streakofpiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:02   #2
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

i sold 400d with lens for £260 not so long ago, so that could be an option second hand.

if you can stretch to a 30d body, then get a kit lens for £25, id say that would be your best route in the canon world anyway, i cant comment on nikon. should be a ble to pick up a 30 for about <£300
Old 5th May 2009, 11:27   #3
streakofpiss
Frequent Poster

streakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant futurestreakofpiss has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post
i sold 400d with lens for £260 not so long ago, so that could be an option second hand.

if you can stretch to a 30d body, then get a kit lens for £25, id say that would be your best route in the canon world anyway, i cant comment on nikon. should be a ble to pick up a 30 for about <£300
Cheers, think i've settled on the 30d... Seems a really good camera and there's been a few going on ebay for a good price. Now to wait until payday! How man actuations does a camera body generally last for? Should I be worried about this when buying second hand?
Old 5th May 2009, 11:37   #4
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

they're rated to 50,000 actuations I think, but my 10D is on 200,000 and my 40D must be past 50,000 now

Ads
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 21:20   #5
streakofpiss
Frequent Poster

Or should I go for the 400d? The 30d seems to be a little more expensive than I initially thought... Is ebay the best place to be buying from or does anyone have any other links? I know ebay isn't always the cheapest for certain things.

How much do you reckon I could pick up a kit lens and nifty fifty for?

Last edited by streakofpiss; 5th May 2009 at 21:28.
Old 5th May 2009, 22:00   #6
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

i use a 400d and it is a good cam but i would probs look at a 20D maybe. or even a 10d

why would you want a nifty fifty?
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 22:15   #7
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

nifty 50 is an amazing lens, i live it, great in low light, super cool DOF and for £60 second hand, everyone should have one.

unless your ads and you have a 85 1.2 L lol

you should get a kit lens for £40 ish and a nifty for £60-70, second hand prices.

should get a 30d for about £300
Old 5th May 2009, 22:23   #8
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
nifty 50 is an amazing lens, i live it, great in low light, super cool DOF and for £60 second hand, everyone should have one.

unless your ads and you have a 85 1.2 L lol

you should get a kit lens for £40 ish and a nifty for £60-70, second hand prices.

should get a 30d for about £300
i have one and it is ace but is not used enough.

if it was me i'd probs put the money towards a better zoom lens, maybe a 70-200/300.

just depends on what type of photo the op is going to take.
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 22:25   #9
don55
Established Member

yer but a £70 lens isnt really going to go a long way in the likes of a 70-200, but i do see your point.

its jsut a good lens to learn with, as it has a great DOF and you can use it in low light with no flash.
Old 6th May 2009, 22:49   #10
don55
Established Member

found this if the OP is interested

Hi all firstly I have to say that im selling all my equipment due to the dreaded credit crunch.
Canon 20d with battery grip and kit 18-55mm lens, 2gb lexar pro 133x speed memory card, 2 batteries, remote release and all leads. The camera says it has shot 4841 pictures. it has a couple of cosmetic marks on the back (3 to be exact) but they are only small. I would say the camera is in great condition bar those marks. The kit lens has only been used handfull of times due to the fact I had a sigma 18-125mm lens. Optically the lens is superb (as I said its virtually unused. £230
Old 6th May 2009, 23:55   #11
streakofpiss
Frequent Poster

Quote:
found this if the OP is interested

Hi all firstly I have to say that im selling all my equipment due to the dreaded credit crunch.
Canon 20d with battery grip and kit 18-55mm lens, 2gb lexar pro 133x speed memory card, 2 batteries, remote release and all leads. The camera says it has shot 4841 pictures. it has a couple of cosmetic marks on the back (3 to be exact) but they are only small. I would say the camera is in great condition bar those marks. The kit lens has only been used handfull of times due to the fact I had a sigma 18-125mm lens. Optically the lens is superb (as I said its virtually unused. £230
Sounds good, where's that advertised?
Old 7th May 2009, 05:58   #12
don55
Established Member

might need to register but its well worth it, that is a very good deal.

click me
Old 7th May 2009, 11:30   #13
streakofpiss
Frequent Poster

Quote:
might need to register but its well worth it, that is a very good deal.

click me
Missed it, dayumn.
Old 7th May 2009, 14:34   #14
don55
Established Member

shame, very good deal