Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 22nd September 2008, 14:18   #1
saintsfan
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Citroen Saxo westcoast
saintsfan will become famous soon enough
Default 'mer' any good?

i was having some chips mended on ma windscreen the other day n the guy who did it recomended some polish called mer. says u get it in halfords in a blue bottle with a silver lid. he said its proper good stuff and lasts for ages. anybody used it, whats it like?
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:41   #2
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

its proper oldskool stuff, i have some in the garage but never use it, there are a lot better makes on the maket these days, will still work well though

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:47   #3
AMO247
Established Member
Ireland Region MemberScotland Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR. Suzuki Swift GLX, Pug 206.
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant futureAMO247 has a brilliant future

I have some its good stuff. you can use it in the wash or has a polish and you can do all your car at once then just buff it off with a soft cloth with no effort at all, You dont even have to have your car dry either as you can put the polish on while wet. last ages aswell.
but like pred says there are better on the market nowadays. But its still good stuff.
AMO247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:07   #4
saintsfan
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

cheers guys, whats supposed to be the best stuff out there at the moment then?
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:30   #5
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

zymol are the leading brand at the moment but can be very expensive especially for there wax's

a few other makes to look out for

sonus
chemical guys
swissvax
menzerna
poorboys
meguiars
auto glym
3M
smartwax
blackfire
jeffs werkstatt
zaino

what colour is the car exactly???

Old 22nd September 2008, 16:12   #6
saintsfan
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

posi blue mate
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:18   #7
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

most of the makers ive suggested are best with a machine tbh

poorboys natty paste wax (think both will work fine as theres a white one for lighter colours and blue one for darker colours, id go for natty blue one though) is good on that colour car though and quite cheap but thats a wax, i use poorboys pro polish too and i got some great results

Old 22nd September 2008, 18:12   #8
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

ive got some mer and use it when i want a change its decent stuff ! but as said theres better stuff out there !
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:29   #9
dynebaruk
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Golf GTI 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
dynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to beholddynebaruk is a splendid one to behold

Can't go wrong with Autoglym super resin polish followed up by Autoglym extra gloss protection. Pretty cheap too.
dynebaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:32   #10
bluearmy
Frequent Poster

Car(s): MK1 VTR
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
bluearmy is a jewel in the roughbluearmy is a jewel in the roughbluearmy is a jewel in the rough

mate of mine is a pro car valeter, and he says it is the nuts mega for removing tar and the like. But he finds his self using products that are quicker to use if you like
bluearmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:43   #11
kcsaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.1
kcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team memberkcsaxo is a well respected team member

good stuff but a little expensive for what it is as my recent run in with it produced decent results but nothing amazing. still have tons of it left and would reccommend for availability.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:05   #12
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Yesssshh!
I have some Shampoo called "Mer"
Good Stuff
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:13   #13
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Prefer Autoglym and Megs etc, stuff thats recommended on Detailing World mainly.
So never used the stuff, but can safely say that AG, Megs, and anything else recommended on DW are good.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 02:08   #14
Black_vtr
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Audi S3 and VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Black_vtr will become famous soon enough

good for in the winter, can be applied while the car is wet. But there are much better things out there that wont leave your car smelling like an orange.
Black_vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 08:28   #15
lcheater
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 1999 Saxo VTS 2008 Vectra 2.8 V6 Turbo 1987 Rang
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
lcheater is on a distinguished road

I went to the Southampton Boat Show last weekend and there was a Mer stand there with a guy demonstrating how easy it is to use. I was pretty amazed by how easy he was removing tar off a section of bonnet.
I think Mer has some sort of wax in it is repel water, because when he sprayed water on the polished surface (like rain would appear), the water formed in droplets. What fascinated me was the fact you can use a low pressure hose to 'chase' the droplets of water off the car and it leaves the car completely dry. Drying the car using water, now thats a thought lol.
Old 25th September 2008, 17:28   #16
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheater View Post
What fascinated me was the fact you can use a low pressure hose to 'chase' the droplets of water off the car and it leaves the car completely dry. Drying the car using water, now thats a thought lol.
I can do that with my car. Infact, you can do that with any car thats got wax on.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 12:50   #17
greenman
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vts
greenman will become famous soon enoughgreenman will become famous soon enough

I have found 'mer' a pain in the arse at getting off once left to dry, alot of elbow grease!
My personal current favourite is Megs cleaner polish, I had a free sample with a clay kit I bought, and I can say it's the best I have ever used. It smells good too.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 14:03   #18
roblydford
L-plater
South West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.1i desire
roblydford is a jewel in the roughroblydford is a jewel in the roughroblydford is a jewel in the rough

i sell zymol and is very expensive stuff but does the job just lovely can get a huge discount on all there range of products

roblydford is offline   Reply With Quote