Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 18th July 2006, 20:34   #1
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Leon 16V C2 SX
PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up An example of a full detail - our C2 Part I

When we did this detail, our C2 was only 12 months old, but I'm sad to say it doesn't get as much loving as our Leon, due to time constraints and the fact that the Leon comes first! I looked at it last October and nearly died - it was terrible, lots of hard baked bug guts, minor swirls and more serious scratches thanks to the fools at Tesco's. So, I decided to sort it...

Step 1 - thorough wash using the two bucket method and Poorboys Slick n Suds shampoo, lambswool mitt for paint, microfibre mitt for wheels, also wheel brush. Dried off using heavyweight waffle weave microfibre towel. Note how dirty the rinse bucket is in the pics below (the benefit of using clear buckets) - that was only after doing half the car. Anyone not using the two bucket method should look in the bottom of my bucket for the reason why they should.

Old 18th July 2006, 20:35   #2
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

PolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to beholdPolishedBliss is a splendid one to behold

Step 2 - thorough clean using Meguiars clay bar and Clearkote Quikshine, wiped dry with detailing microfibre towel. Note how bad the paint looks in the first two pics after washing - bonded bug guts. The clay got rid of a lot of this mess, in addition to lots of tar spots, which show up nicely in the close up.

Old 18th July 2006, 20:35   #3
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Step 3 - thorough polishing, using Poorboys SSR1 applied via Porter Cable machine polisher using white polishing pad (misted with Quikshine first). I did most of the car at 4-5 on the speed dial, bumping it up to 5-6 for stubborn swirls and deeper scratches. All trims and rubbers were taped off first (to avoid creating white stains and buffer marks), and all residues were removed using microfibre work towels. The last two pics shows the effect of cleaning and polishing - no more bugs or defects (apart from Citreon's lovely orange peel).

Old 18th July 2006, 20:36   #4
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Step 4 - I started to add protection with a basecoat of Klasse All in One (AIO) applied by hand, followed by a top coat of Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ), also by hand. It was getting dark by this point, so all this was done in the garage - no process pics I'm afraid, after all, who'd want to see me sweating under strip lights? Many thanks to RobDon for sending me the FMJ sample. I finished up at 9pm by dressing the tyres with Poorboys Bold n Bright, applied using foam applicator. Please forgive me, I didn't have time to dress the arches or the trims, I'll be doing that at some point in the near future after a another wash. I will also be adding a further top coat of FMJ every month through the winter, and a coat of Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (HGAS) after each wash. I have to say the FMJ is great to use - easy on,easy off, really slick and a deep, wet shine. Plus it offers just about the best winter protection you can get. Recommended.

Old 18th July 2006, 20:39   #5
dsh85
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): focus tdci, clio v6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!dsh85 is absolutely fabulous!

that is stunning mate, ive noticed a lot of the bonded big guts on my front bumper and until now ignored it, was it meguairs clay you used to get rid of this yes?
Old 18th July 2006, 20:40   #6
djjoney
Frequent Poster

Car(s): carbon clad nos breathing westcoast
djjoney is on a distinguished road

looks superb when its finished
djjoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 20:42   #7
PolishedBliss
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh85
that is stunning mate, ive noticed a lot of the bonded big guts on my front bumper and until now ignored it, was it meguairs clay you used to get rid of this yes?
Yes, in this case I used the clay bar that comes in the Quik Clay package with Clearkote Quikshine as the lubricant.
Old 19th July 2006, 10:54   #8
YM03
Established Member

Car(s): vtr mk2, posi blue
YM03 is a splendid one to beholdYM03 is a splendid one to beholdYM03 is a splendid one to beholdYM03 is a splendid one to beholdYM03 is a splendid one to beholdYM03 is a splendid one to behold

must say I'm very impresed, with the look off this stuff and the finnish you achieve.
YM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 11:51   #9
CHowells
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Furio
CHowells is on a distinguished road

Good job
CHowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 11:52   #10
Colin
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo Rally Car Evo 6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Colin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant future

Im so inpressed with how sparkling you get the cars.

Ive got a black Saxo and struggle to keep it clean and even after I polish it, it still looks bad!

I really take my time over my car but I still get such bad results!

Nice work!
Smoking Bozos Since 1988
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 11:56   #11
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Thats certainly impressed me, that pic where u can clearly see the reflection of the cleaning gear shows just how stunning the finish is
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 11:58   #12
saunders
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Fiat Seicento, MK2 Furio 2000 X, Pug 206
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!

That looks great! think im in need of some of that clay!
saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 22:04   #13
mike_obuk
Established Member

Car(s): Megane Coupe Phase 1 2.0 8v
mike_obuk will become famous soon enough

ive got huge tar spots all over the front of my car. and with the heat this week the bloody road had melted so there are bound to be more!

cant wait till the hosepipe ban is over so i can tackle the thing properly!