Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Mobile Phones / Devices

Old 13th August 2012, 19:53   #1
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!
Default Anyone use a Galaxy S3?

Ok, the original iPhone geekoid is genuinely thinking of jumping ship......

My iPhone 4 has been out of contract for months now and I've been patiently waiting for the iPhone 5 release details but to be quite frank, I'm now bored of waiting.

Been looking for alternatives, and while I appreciate the S3 won't be as well built as an iPhone and Ice Cream Sandwich not as user friendly as iOS, the spec list looks good.

Has anyone any experience of the S3?

Opinions good and otherwise appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 19:55   #2
greyjasper51
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): posi blue vtrs race car
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
greyjasper51 is on a distinguished road

S2 beats iphone any day

S3 pwns iphones... And golf gti's :-) lool

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=424462
greyjasper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 20:00   #3
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

Hi Craig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper For This Useful Post:
Old 13th August 2012, 20:08   #4
GolfJay
Saxperience Post Whore
Content ContributorEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 1985 E28 BMW 525E 2.7
GolfJay is on a distinguished road

I'm also in the exact same position. My contract is up next week and I'm bored of waiting for the new iPhone.

By the looks of iOS6 there won't be any huge changes to what we can do with our iPhones.

The S3 does look like a beast of a phone!
I'm a lovely person. I'm not kidding, I really am!
GolfJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 20:41   #5
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

Agree Jay.

I can get £200 for my iP4 as it is.
Galaxy S3 is £400 on a 12 month contract at £30 a month so it would only really cost me 200. I can live with that.

If I want it on a 2 year contract I can get the same £30 a month deal but the handset price is £200

Tesco Value Tariff ftw
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 20:46   #6
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
Agree Jay.

I can get £200 for my iP4 as it is.
Galaxy S3 is £400 on a 12 month contract at £30 a month so it would only really cost me 200. I can live with that.

If I want it on a 2 year contract I can get the same £30 a month deal but the handset price is £200

Tesco Value Tariff ftw
You can probably get it cheaper through redemption if you aren't scared of them deals, fair enough if you are as they can go wrong.

I got bored of ios after I had iphone for about 3/4 years. I got a galaxy s2 and haven't looked back since. Ics took a couple of days to get completely used to it but now I like it a lot more than ios. In time I may get bored though and switch to windows which looks like a decent choice too if you don't mind less apps.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haz_pro For This Useful Post:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:10   #7
lewismonteith
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 1992 MX-5 1.6 SE
lewismonteith is on a distinguished road

Jelly Bean is on its way, the S3 will be way smoother than the iPhone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
lewismonteith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lewismonteith For This Useful Post:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:26   #8
0x90

Car(s): White Saxo 1.1 LX
0x90 is on a distinguished road

iPhones are like children's toys compared to high-end Android devices.
The S3 wipes the floor with the current iPhone, and will more than likely wipe the floor with the next iPhone too.
0x90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 21:31   #9
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x90 View Post
iPhones are like children's toys compared to high-end Android devices.
The S3 wipes the floor with the current iPhone, and will more than likely wipe the floor with the next iPhone too.
One of my biggest concerns if I'm honest is that all these supposed "high end" Android phones are actually built like children's toys, whereas the iPhone is actually properly built and feels like a quality product
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:33   #10
greyjasper51
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): posi blue vtrs race car
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
greyjasper51 is on a distinguished road

Look at it this way, for my s2 it was 6quid a month insurance, for the i phone it was 12... Kinda dont matter really...

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=424462
greyjasper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 21:33   #11
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
One of my biggest concerns if I'm honest is that all these supposed "high end" Android phones are actually built like children's toys, whereas the iPhone is actually properly built and feels like a quality product
The s3 doesn't feel as high quality as the current iphone, but that doesn't mean it is going to fall apart. I have dropped my s2 numerous times out of a case and it's still fine. Up to you at the end of the day though, I am used to how my phone feels in my hand now.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 21:34   #12
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismonteith View Post
Jelly Bean is on its way, the S3 will be way smoother than the iPhone

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
JB looks quite slick tbh, but I can't see any obvious advantage over iOS6
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:35   #13
mlawlan69
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): MCS R53 S/C 16v furiooo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
mlawlan69 is on a distinguished road

I just got the s2 and even this is better than the 4. Few lads at work have the s3 slightly bigger screen and faster processor but other than that, nothing much in it! Make the swap you won't regret it!

mlawlan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mlawlan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:37   #14
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyjasper51 View Post
Look at it this way, for my s2 it was 6quid a month insurance, for the i phone it was 12... Kinda dont matter really...
I've never had phone insurance and (touch wood) never lost or had a phone stolen, or broken one beyond repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
The s3 doesn't feel as high quality as the current iphone, but that doesn't mean it is going to fall apart. I have dropped my s2 numerous times out of a case and it's still fine. Up to you at the end of the day though, I am used to how my phone feels in my hand now.
I'd probably case ot for a few months like a gheyer then end up taking it out and scratching the hell out of it. My iP4 is still immaculate even after nearly 2 years most without a case
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 21:58   #15
Harv
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): EP3 Civic Type R
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!

My brother loves his S3, says its far better than his iPhone 4 although it is pretty big but I think thats to be expected. I don't think the Android interfaces are hard to use at all, it might not be as simple as the iOS from the iPhones but they have much more capabilities within them.

Also I should point out my bro has gone with e2save again on a cashback redemption deal (has worked for his passed 3 phones, you just need to be aware what months bills you send off etc). His was 24 month deal, free handset, 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1gb data for £24 a month after redemption - thats on Vodafone! Think his direct debit is about 30ish before cashback.

EP3 Civic Type R - soon to be JRSC'd
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:04   #16
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
My brother loves his S3, says its far better than his iPhone 4 although it is pretty big but I think thats to be expected. I don't think the Android interfaces are hard to use at all, it might not be as simple as the iOS from the iPhones but they have much more capabilities within them.

Also I should point out my bro has gone with e2save again on a cashback redemption deal (has worked for his passed 3 phones, you just need to be aware what months bills you send off etc). His was 24 month deal, free handset, 600 mins, unlimited texts, 1gb data for £24 a month after redemption - thats on Vodafone! Think his direct debit is about 30ish before cashback.
Cheers man. Looks like the best all round deal I'll get is with Phones 4u

Handset £199 and 18 month contract at £36 a month for 18 months on o2

That includes 1gb data, unlimited texts and 200 minutes, although I rarely use more than that

Don't really want a contract longer than 18 months
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 22:09   #17
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX 16v Turbo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
e8_pqck is on a distinguished road

I have the us s2 version, the hercules and its a cracking phone, small is thin at the end of the day, the iPhone is too thick and feels bulky in the pocket. my s2 feels like good quality to me, its lighter yes, but still well put together, plus the micro sd expansion and seemless integration with any PC, both home and office makes it a much superior package.
e8_pqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:10   #18
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8_pqck View Post
I have the us s2 version, the hercules and its a cracking phone, small is thin at the end of the day, the iPhone is too thick and feels bulky in the pocket. my s2 feels without enough for me, its lighter yes, but still well put together, plus the micro sd expansion and seemless integration with any PC, both home and office makes it a much superior package.
Re the expandable memory, does the phone "file" things in different areas?
Quote:
Old 13th August 2012, 22:26   #19
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

I haven't actually see anyone give REASONS for the S3 being better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:29   #20
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I haven't actually see anyone give REASONS for the S3 being better.
I've spent all night researching and looking at impartial reviews and on paper it's better.

Suppose I should get one on contract a week before the 5 is released and then use my stat rights to cancel the contract if not happy with it and then get a 5
Quote: