Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 1st July 2016, 18:01   #1
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road
Default New Axle or bearing kit? And advise needed.

Ok so inspecting rear axle while wheel off I am getting some movement up and down on plate while secure and nut in place on arm.. I grab hold of brake disc and arm and move side to side up and down and I am unsure if this is just the arm moving up and down as it is meant to or I have play in it.

So if I hold one part of wheel at say 9 clock on clock and one at 3 clock and move side to side their is about a half or 1/4 ml movement but very little if that. I will move around the wheel moving round like going 10 4 and then so on till done full wheel

Is this play in the axle or is meant to be as is?

I will try to get a video up in next hour or so to show what I mean.

Will need advise if fucked and time for new axle and up rated bushes or can get away with getting bearing kit on it
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 19:32   #2
sexy_gt
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): SUPERCHARGED saxo vts
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
sexy_gt is on a distinguished road

No play is acceptable.
sexy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 19:37   #3
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Images

Video being uploaded.

I am not sure but my left one looks like it has an angle inwards at top? As to the right looks normal? I cant really see much maybe you guys see better than me.
also front wheel was not fully lined up straight but best can do for pictures.

Video shows me moving the arm plate up n down with moving arm and and then moving arm without moving the beam or axle on the axle plate you can see me moving back and forth and gap goes bigger and smaller about 1:30 min into it or so

Last edited by DaCrazyOne; 1st July 2016 at 19:39.
Old 1st July 2016, 19:51   #4
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Video uploaded

Hope you guys can make out what meant be looking for am guessing this got some play in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOMHSxQlxA
Old 1st July 2016, 20:10   #5
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

By the looks of how the ARB end plate is wiggling up and down i'd say the seal behind it has gone and is letting in moisture, even though you have a small only a small amount of play id be willing to bet its going rusty in there, i'd probably pull the ARB out and look for any signs of moisture inside the tube

Last edited by Ben_SaxoForte; 1st July 2016 at 20:12.
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 23:02   #6
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
By the looks of how the ARB end plate is wiggling up and down i'd say the seal behind it has gone and is letting in moisture, even though you have a small only a small amount of play id be willing to bet its going rusty in there, i'd probably pull the ARB out and look for any signs of moisture inside the tube
Last time this was out when it had the height adjusted on it was all clean on the inside and the ends where a little rusty and got cleaned up proper and grease re added to them.

What would be best to do have the bearing done on this axle been quoted to have it re done is £100 for bearing repair kit to be fitted on both sides.

Or have new axle and have up rated powerflex bushes on it too? I am going to be keeping the car no doubt as its hard to come across ones as clean and not rotted apart and low miles currently now on 80k had for 3 years and come with 51k miles and 1 previous owner to it
Old 1st July 2016, 23:02   #7
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

The ARB plate is moving because it's not bolted down,these two M8 bolts are eveything that fixes these plates down,they usually come loose due to play in the bearings on the axle shaft but I see you have no bolt at all so it might have worked its way loose over time and finally unbolt all the way before you noticed.
ARB plate loose doesn't necessarily means the bearings are bad though.

There is a seal inside that plate and it's the only thing keeping water and dirt out the of the bearings and shaft,by having that plate loose chances are it could have been damaged leading to the bearings failure over time.

Any play where the bearings are unfortunately means taking the axle apart as it's meant to feel solid there,most likely one of the shaft won't be reusable,might get lucky,only way to be sure is as said to take the axle apart.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 23:05   #8
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
The ARB plate is moving because it's not bolted down,these two M8 bolts are eveything that fixes these plates down,they usually come loose due to play in the bearings on the axle shaft but I see you have no bolt at all so it might have worked its way loose over time and finally unbolt all the way before you noticed.
ARB plate loose doesn't necessarily means the bearings are bad though.

There is a seal inside that plate and it's the only thing keeping water and dirt out the of the bearings and shaft,by having that plate loose chances are it could have been damaged leading to the bearings failure over time.

Any play where the bearings are unfortunately means taking the axle apart as it's meant to feel solid there,most likely one of the shaft won't be reusable,might get lucky,only way to be sure is as said to take the axle apart.
I had removed the bolt to move around and see if arm was moving too without it on

Am thinking maybe just get new axle and know gonna last rather than just bearing been done as like you said about shaft seen loads been rebuilt and torn apart and re conned but beyond due to how bent shaft was

Last edited by DaCrazyOne; 1st July 2016 at 23:08.
Old 1st July 2016, 23:09   #9
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
Last time this was out when it had the height adjusted on it was all clean on the inside and the ends where a little rusty and got cleaned up proper and grease re added to them.

What would be best to do have the bearing done on this axle been quoted to have it re done is £100 for bearing repair kit to be fitted on both sides.

Or have new axle and have up rated powerflex bushes on it too? I am going to be keeping the car no doubt as its hard to come across ones as clean and not rotted apart and low miles currently now on 80k had for 3 years and come with 51k miles and 1 previous owner to it
On the passenger side bolt in a M12x1.50 bolt 50mm length iirc check before where the rubber grommet is,this way you will press out the ARB plate,you can have a look inside the axle shaft and see if it's rusty,if it is bad news,not a conclusive test but will help getting an idea of the state of it and see if the seal has been damaged.

Quote:
I had removed the bolt to move around and see if arm was moving too without it on

Am thinking maybe just get new axle and know gonna last rather than just bearing been done as like you said about shaft seen loads been rebuilt and torn apart and re conned but beyond due to how bent shaft was
I see,ARB plates can move freely anyway so I wouldn't use this to check if there's play in the bearings.

Last edited by VeiRoN; 1st July 2016 at 23:11.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 23:15   #10
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

https://youtu.be/jGOMHSxQlxA?t=1m34s from their you will see end of plate and am moving the arm back and forth and does appear to be moving and causing a gap. Would this indicate that their is play in where bearing are located?

Also when re fitting the ARB plate how does this go back in does that just tap in ?
Old 2nd July 2016, 00:10   #11
Furioman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Ford focus 2.0 Saxo VTS
Furioman is on a distinguished road

the arb goes inside the beam and pins wiggling it wont give you an indication of the trailing arm bearing, its splined tap them on then tighten down
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:42   #12
craigyt
L-plater

Car(s): S1 rallye turbo 16v Corsa vxr track car Megane est
craigyt is on a distinguished road

The bushes have gone on the atb end plate. New kit from peugeot /citroen will sort that.

From looking at the pics there is no camber on the wheels so bearings will be ok. As a good thing to do, double up the bearings on either side (ie. Dont use the plastic spacer, use 2 more bearings) to even out any wear and future wear
craigyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:08   #13
bearpuncher
Infrequent Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 106 gti onyx black
bearpuncher is on a distinguished road

lol should of seen my work van!!! was about a 30 degree camber for over a year.

citreon berlingo ftw
bearpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 18:11   #14
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The only real way to find out what needs doing is to take off the trailing arms and inspect the shafts which the bearings roll on but from what I saw in the video you posted it looks like somethings definitely starting to wear and I know the bolt was not in the ARB end plate but it still shouldn't be able to move up and down by that amount if the seal is good and it had a small amount of play when you were pushing the traling arm in and out towards the car so something is wrong. The axle may still last another year like that because its by no means really bad but i'd be looking into a new axle if I was you.

The powerflex bushes that's upto you really it won't make the axle last longer or anything but may improve handling if that's what you're looking for
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 18:48   #15
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyt View Post
The bushes have gone on the atb end plate. New kit from peugeot /citroen will sort that.

From looking at the pics there is no camber on the wheels so bearings will be ok. As a good thing to do, double up the bearings on either side (ie. Dont use the plastic spacer, use 2 more bearings) to even out any wear and future wear
Anywhere else to buy from and atb end plate bushes is their part number?

Is this the one you are referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
The only real way to find out what needs doing is to take off the trailing arms and inspect the shafts which the bearings roll on but from what I saw in the video you posted it looks like somethings definitely starting to wear and I know the bolt was not in the ARB end plate but it still shouldn't be able to move up and down by that amount if the seal is good and it had a small amount of play when you were pushing the traling arm in and out towards the car so something is wrong. The axle may still last another year like that because its by no means really bad but i'd be looking into a new axle if I was you.

The powerflex bushes that's upto you really it won't make the axle last longer or anything but may improve handling if that's what you're looking for
Handling is what am after as am going to be keeping the car and eventually upgrading bit by bit when I have time and funds to. I already got purple power flex bushes as thought had another problem way back that wasn't it but thinking if axel coming off and changing wack on up rated ones on as sitting collecting dust at the min lol.