Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 10th April 2007, 14:27   #1
barrettp
Super Moderator

Car(s): Focus
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!
Default Removing tar - Black marks on paint work

So you have eiither little black spots on your car, or bigger ones as shown in the photo below, then this guide should give you an idea of how to remove it:

Tar and glue remover
Autoglym's intensive tar remover can be bought in halfords as can meguiars bug and tar remover

Clean the car using the two bucket technque and a lambs wool wash mitt, a prewash foam wll provde a safer wash.

Hose down the car, with no attatchments on the end of the car. There is no need to dry the car before the next step.

Apply a small amount to a microfbre cloth and work it into the tar. This should removed the tar. If it doesn't then apply again and wait for a few mins then buff off.

Clean the car using the two bucket technque and a lambs wool wash mitt, hose down again with an open end hose and then dry the car using a waffle weave micro fibre towel.

Clay Bar
There are many different brands of clay bars, and each have dfferent properties to do with how abrasve they are. The Meguiars Quck Clay Detaling Kit can be bought off the shelf in Halfords, but others are avalable.

To use the clay bar:
Clean the car using the two bucket technque and a lambs wool wash mitt, hose down agan with an open end hose, there is no need to dry off the car at this stage.

Tear about 1/3rd of the bar off and put into a warm bowl of water until it is easily mouldable in your hands.

Roll the clay around in your hands until t forms a ball. Then flatten it out like a pancake.

Spray the lube onto a small area of the car and onto the clay.

Slide the clay over the car, it should take off the tar and other bonded on surface contaminents.

3 or 4 passes over an area should seem all the contaminants removed from the surface.

Once you have done each secton wipe it wth a microfibre towel.

Clean the car using the two bucket technque and a lambs wool wash mitt, hose down again with an open end hose and then dry the car using a waffle weave micro fibre towel.

Then polish or wax as you see fit.

Other methods
There are other ways of removng the tar, such as WD40 or white spirts. I have no experience usng these and would recommend the process's mentioned above as beng kinder to your paintwork.
Attached Thumbnails
tar.jpg  

Last edited by barrett; 10th April 2007 at 15:50.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 10th April 2007, 14:28   #2
barrettp
Super Moderator

barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!barrett is absolutely fabulous!

If people have some photos then get them posted, my cars tar free so couldn't do any demo photos
Old 10th April 2007, 14:29   #3
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Question Barrett: once i've used either of these products should i then re wash the car to remove the residue?

thanks!
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:34   #4
barrettp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
Question Barrett: once i've used either of these products should i then re wash the car to remove the residue?

thanks!
Yes, its best to. It s also worth reapplying a sealent / wax to the area also to top up the protecton.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:36   #5
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

the way i did it is in sections washing it after each bit then washed the car again with the gilmour and wash mitt

would of had before and after shots sorry barrett didnt thing ill go out and drive it on some new roads lol

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 14:41   #6
barrettp
Super Moderator

yeah you can work n sectons, probably a good way to o it for your first time, tackeling a pannel at a time.

Its also worth noting that if you drop the clay you should throw t away as it wll pick up grit that can scratch the car.

You should regually mould the clay in your hand to change the surface that is aganst the car as you will see it gets drty. If the clay remains discouloured after mouldng it is worth usng a new piece of clay.

You can clay the windows and the wheels of the car also.

Try an avoid getting the clay stuck between the rubber seals (e.g the window and the bodywork) as its a pain to get out. If you do get some stuck try usng the pressure washer to get it out.

Last edited by barrett; 10th April 2007 at 14:44.
Old 19th April 2007, 00:13   #7
adam111
Frequent Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Suzuki Ignis Sport
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
adam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant futureadam111 has a brilliant future

Cleaned the car today and had a fair bit of tar to remove.
I used the Meguiars clay bar mentioned above.

Before:

After:

Not great but got a bit fed up and arms were aching.

The first pic is the drivers side, which was better than the passenger side which i worked on. I didn't get a pic of the passenger side before hand, so i used drivers side as an example.
adam111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 13:12   #8
yerdusk
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): '72 Bug
iTrader Score: 24 (100%)
yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!

I love the way you robbed my photo Barrett!! But you didnt use the finished pic!! So here it is!
yerdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 14:07   #9
barrettp
Super Moderator

aye, I meant to put both pictures in but closed the thread and couldnt be bothered finding it again.

May do a guide on the two bucket wash technique later on.
Old 27th April 2007, 14:09   #10
yerdusk
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): '72 Bug
iTrader Score: 24 (100%)
yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!yerdusk is absolutely fabulous!

yea that would be a good idea mate. Look forward to reading it!
yerdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 04:32   #11
jasonfitness
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jasonfitness is just really nicejasonfitness is just really nicejasonfitness is just really nicejasonfitness is just really nice

Ive always struggled with these ittle black marks. I normally just get the pressure washer out and blast 'em off. But not even that always works. My car is due for a wash so ill give this ago and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the tip!
jasonfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 21:08   #12
d4r3n
Established Member
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): bmw 330ci sport !
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
d4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to beholdd4r3n is a splendid one to behold

ive got these little black dots on my bonnet and i thought they was stone chips but on closer look it was tar.. as above the maguiars clar bar and they come straight off was well inpressed :>:>
d4r3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 09:06   #13
vtrjay
Established Member

Car(s): Black Mk2 Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (75%)
vtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud ofvtrjay has much to be proud of

always wanted to know how to get rid of these marks as they dont polish out! hate them!!! thanks i shall try this!
vtrjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 20:41   #14
xxsaxogoldxx

Car(s): saxo vtr
xxsaxogoldxx is on a distinguished road

i used petrol and it was brrilliant i drove to fast through a road had just been tar maced and my car was almost black i tryed everything then i used petrol and it toook every bit off it didnt take long either
xxsaxogoldxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 20:42   #15
Amiee
Saxperience Addict
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): I.Car Mango Westcoast II.Mk6 Fiesta Zetec S
Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!Amiee is absolutely fabulous!

autogylm tar remover lol
u need a bag on her head to fuck it tbh
Amiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 18:48   #16
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

did mine last night, looks a treat

didnt think to try petrol as we use this at work to clean stuff when bin tarmacin
Old 12th September 2007, 06:59   #17
Mr_suv
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Hondaaaa
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!Mr_suv is absolutely fabulous!

awsum i shall try it
Mr_suv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 18:19   #18
freddiethomas
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): saxo 1.0 First
freddiethomas is on a distinguished road

ill try some "sticky stuff remover" tell you the results after lol
freddiethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 14:25   #19
freddiethomas