Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 28th November 2016, 12:05   #1
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road
Default Audio failing - help needed

Afternoon Saxp,

We currently have an issue with the audio in our car which I’m hoping is a simple resolution. We have quite a heavy audio build (two Pioneer TS2503i co-axial speakers, a Kenwood KFC-W3514 sub and two dual channel amps - one for the sub and one for the speakers, both with their own wiring). Once we get to a certain volume on the headunit (around 15% maximum) the two Pioneer speakers die. Occasionally, when there’s not much bass, they come back to life again and work perfectly, but as soon as the bass comes back the speakers die again. We even managed to play a song which varies in bass and you can hear the speakers coming back on every third beat, before dying again when the bass comes in.

My initial thoughts were that the battery wasn’t powerful enough, so I stuck that on charge last night and will try again this evening. The car is currently off the road and the engine isn’t running, it wouldn’t take much to get the car running again, but as it stands we’re relying on the battery alone, so 12v or so.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the speakers are 4ohm impedance, 80W nominal / 420W peak, and the amp is rated to 4ohm per channel, 100W x 2 nominal / 300W x2 peak at 14,4V, so I assume there shouldn’t be any problem there as I don’t expect the speakers to get anywhere near 420W during normal use, especially not at 15% volume anyway.

Could the sub be drawing the power over the speakers? Could a power capacitor be used to fill the gaps? Hopefully it’s just because the battery was too low and the amp is expecting 14.4v to perform to that spec, but receiving 12v.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers, Jack.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 18:18   #2
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Un wire the sub and try the speakers on their own. Sounds like amp isn't powerful enough or is on way out, had a similar problem with my civic set up, turned out I needed 2 amps one to run the speakers and one to run the sub.
Old 30th November 2016, 11:04   #3
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Start simple first. Get the battery charged up, would be better if you could get it running or tested in a running car as it will be ~14v when running

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 12:03   #4
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
Un wire the sub and try the speakers on their own. Sounds like amp isn't powerful enough or is on way out, had a similar problem with my civic set up, turned out I needed 2 amps one to run the speakers and one to run the sub.
I have two amps already, one which powers the sub and one which powers the two speakers. I can still remove power to the sub’s amp and see if that resolves the issue - I'll try tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Start simple first. Get the battery charged up, would be better if you could get it running or tested in a running car as it will be ~14v when running
Unfortunately I’ve not had chance over to the last couple of nights to test whether a fully charged battery has done the trick – will update in due course.

Thanks for the responses.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote