Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 28th October 2007, 12:41   #1
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Audi A4
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!
Question "Unsecured network connection"

I've got wireless broadband and I noticed today that if I click on the Network Connections icon in my tray, I get a list of wireless connections available, including my own and several others, presumably from other people's wireless in our block of flats.

Some of these are labelled as "Secure connection" and some as "unsecured", including my own.

My question is this - is my connection safe from being used by other people, and if not, how do I make it secure?

Cheers folks. Rep given to helpful comments, and generally nice people...!
potatopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 12:46   #2
98silvervts
Regular Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Red 97 vts bought in june 2012 :)
98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatopete View Post
I've got wireless broadband and I noticed today that if I click on the Network Connections icon in my tray, I get a list of wireless connections available, including my own and several others, presumably from other people's wireless in our block of flats.

Some of these are labelled as "Secure connection" and some as "unsecured", including my own.

My question is this - is my connection safe from being used by other people, and if not, how do I make it secure?

Cheers folks. Rep given to helpful comments, and generally nice people...!
what type of wireless do you have?
you need it locked or other people will use it...

Coffin Dodger
98silvervts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 12:56   #3
saxo_jim
Frequent Poster

Car(s): westcoast
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to behold

yeah mine was untill i was reading some thing about people being able to get all types of information from your wireless. all you need to do is put a password on it.
saxo_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 14:17   #4
DarylVTR
Saxperience Post Whore

DarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team memberDarylVTR is a well respected team member

you need to add a WEP KEY.
Old 28th October 2007, 14:28   #5
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

WEP is outdated and fairly easy to crack since every packet sent through the network contains the WEP key, so afer someone has intercepted enough packets it starts to get prety clear what the key is.

Best to use WPA, most old routers support WPA too so you should be ok.

You'll need to logon to your router to set any encryption keys anyway

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 14:42   #6
stalkah66
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 3x mk1 Saxo VTR's 1x 1987 mk2 xr2
stalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud of

If you don't know your router ip address click start then run and type in 'CMD' this will bring up a command prompt then type in ipconfig. the default gateway is your routers address type this into a web page in the address bar to be able to access your routers config page. If you tell me your router make and model I might be able to get you some instructions on how to setup a WPA
stalkah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 14:43   #7
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!

Thanks to everyine for help.
Just been onto AOL live help - they've told me how to set up WEP, so that should do the job for now......
Old 28th October 2007, 14:44   #8
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

Its a Speedtouch ST585
Old 28th October 2007, 15:02   #9
stalkah66
Frequent Poster

stalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud ofstalkah66 has much to be proud of

To be honest if you've setup wep it should be alright, much better than nothing anyway. I'll have a look around see if I can find the setup instructions for it
Old 28th October 2007, 15:08   #10
stalkah66
Frequent Poster

User manual for the router http://www.thomsontelecompartner.com...le.php?id=3136
Old 28th October 2007, 16:35   #11
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

I would set up a Mac filter too if you can.
Old 28th October 2007, 16:48   #12
98silvervts
Regular Poster
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Red 97 vts bought in june 2012 :)
98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light98silvervts is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
WEP is outdated and fairly easy to crack since every packet sent through the network contains the WEP key, so afer someone has intercepted enough packets it starts to get prety clear what the key is.

Best to use WPA, most old routers support WPA too so you should be ok.

You'll need to logon to your router to set any encryption keys anyway
you should follows Mistic's advise and use WPA...

128bit wep can be cracked in 5 mins.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAgPUOrVyM

Mac filtering can be used to keep rouge pcs from joining your network, only when scanning the router you can see the attached mac addresses, you then spoof the mac address to match yours "boot you off" and away you go!!

not wanting to scare you but, wep is not what you would call even remotly secure..

your router (Speedtouch ST585) supports wpa... so you better off using it rather than wep!!!

Coffin Dodger

Last edited by 98silvervts; 28th October 2007 at 18:00. Reason: update
98silvervts is offline   Reply With Quote