Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 18th July 2007, 19:31   #21
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Anders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_VTR View Post
in the basic FAQs it will explain a lot in there mate

get the speakers and then ill find a amp for you ok
I've read all the FAQs thoroughly, I'm still left wondering.

Which speakers, Bostons or Alpines. What Amp then?

I appreciate your help, thanks.
Anders0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 19:36   #22
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

ok use a drill to get the rivets out take the doorcard off first obviously

bostons mate, if you give me a basic budget and what sub your thinking of getting, i would suggest a JBL there cheap and also one of the best on the market for the price

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 19:50   #23
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Anders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud of

Yeah I'll get one of JBL subs from eBay everyone raves about. I take it I just buy a box and bang it in the boot?

Are the bostons really all that, they don't look up to much? Guess I'll take your word for it then.

Budget for Amp? Not really got one, what do I get for say, £80? I'm willing to spend more, It just had to be worth it.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2007, 23:20   #24
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

yes mate boston s50s are one of the best entry level components in a 13cm fitment for the 90 pound mark, they may not look much but you will be suprised when there amped up i assure you

and yes basically the sub is plug and play, just when you wire everything up, lay and extra RCA/Phono lead

80 pound for an amp to power both sub and amp??

Old 19th July 2007, 16:47   #25
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Quote:
80 pound for an amp to power both sub and amp??
Thats just a rough guide, if they are more expensive than that then so be it, as longs as its not mega bucks then i'm easy.
Old 19th July 2007, 18:01   #26
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

id say at least double the amount mate, about 150 will get a good amp to power both sub and components

Last edited by Predator_R32; 19th July 2007 at 20:14.
Old 19th July 2007, 20:10   #27
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Ok no problem, spec me up!
Old 19th July 2007, 20:15   #28
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

well what components are you getting???

Old 19th July 2007, 21:29   #29
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Quote:
well what components are you getting???
The Bostons. And that JBL sub.
Old 19th July 2007, 22:01   #30
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

ok mate

heres a few options for you

this one is quite cheap actually, must of just come on, bit powerful but as long as you dont turn the gain righ up it will be fine, i used to have one till it got nicked and there top notch amps for the money

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/1180.html

same with this one

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2911.html

and same again with this one (i have this running 2 of my subs and its fantastic, i got it for a lot cheaper though as they had the wrong price on and couldnt ask for more money

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/alpin...ier-p-454.html

either one of them tbh, there all good

you can always get 2 amps, a mono for the sub and 2 channel for the components, probablies get them for about the 150 pound mark too

Old 19th July 2007, 22:11   #31
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2911.html

So say I was to buy that one, what else would I need? A sub box and a wiring kit. Could you recommend one please.

With the front speakers, do I replace the speaker wires or keep the old ones? And where on earth does the tweeter go?

Old 19th July 2007, 22:48   #32
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

this sub and box id say

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-12-SUB-GT4...QQcmdZViewItem

either one of these wiring kits

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-Ampl...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC4-...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-QAWK...QQcmdZViewItem

the component speakers dont use the existing wiring if your connecting up to the amp, speaker wire from amp to the crossover and then from the crossover to the mid and tweeter

so you will need about 10 metres of speaker wire

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Metre-Stere...QQcmdZViewItem

and finally an extra RCA/Phono lead

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5M-2-X-PHONO-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 19th July 2007, 23:00   #33
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Cheers for the help mate, really really appreciated.

Headunit - £120
Sub & Box - £55
Wiring etc - £50
Amp - £90
Speakers - £90

= £405

Going to have a little think before I order, alot of money.

Old 19th July 2007, 23:03   #34
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

its not that much mate tbh you will be getting a top notch system

Old 22nd July 2007, 18:35   #35
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Sorry for not posting sooner, my internet has been down because of the flooding.

Can anyone show me some reviews of the Boston S50's? I can't seem to find any?

What do they sound like not amped up? I plan to just run them off the HU until I can afford an Amp + Sub. Will they provide adequate bass on there own?

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:53   #36
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

there actually american speakers i havent seen reviews on them but have heard them and they sound great for the price of them, turners car audio uses boston stuff

plus theres a load of people on here that have them and are very happy with them

they will provide a bit of bass, but you wont be getting the best out of them until there amped up

Old 22nd July 2007, 20:37   #37
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Ok, been reading the talk audio forums for a while and your right, it's definitley worth it to go the whole amp + sub route.

Just a few more questions...

Out of the 2 bottom wiring kits you posted which one is best? Asking because there near enough the same price...

Is that speaker cable you posted good enough quality? It will do the job fine yeah? The extra RCA lead looks good but whats it for?

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:10   #38
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

OK just bought it all, consider myself skint!
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:34   #39
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Ok just to recap.. all prices include delivery:

Headunit: Alpine CDE-9850Ri iPod Full Speed - £123.50
Amp: JBL GTO-75.4 - £97.06
Components: Boston Acoustics S50 - £96.98
Sub: JBL GT4-12 + Carpeted Box - £54.98
Wiring Kit: Autoleads PC4-60 - £29.39

Also bought the speaker cable and 5m phono lead suggested earlier - £21.72

Total £423.63

Now to find out how to put it all together!
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:35   #40
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

yeah that speaker cable should be fine bud, unless you want to look for some more, you can buy it by the metre from maplins or halfords but not sure on the price

but actually reading this wiring kit it comes with ten metres of speaker cable so may need a bit more for the sub

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-QAWK...QQcmdZViewItem

the extra RCA is for the components, you will need one for sub and one for the components, its basically sending a music signal to the amps then the amp puts it out at different frequencies to the sub, witht the components its basically the same but the speaker wires from the amp to crossover and that puts out different frequencis, ive probablies muddle you up a bit lol

anyway just get that wiring kit what i put up and the extra RCA lead and thats all you need to get started, may need a bit extra speaker wire for the sub

spent up but you will have a good sound system

EDIT bit late replying sorry, anyway youve bought the speaker wire now, id still get that wiring kit i put up though, you can never have enough speaker wire

Last edited by Predator_R32; 22nd July 2007 at 23:45.