Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 29th October 2022, 17:38   #1
lizziemac

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Desire Kia SPORTAGE 2 LTR
lizziemac is on a distinguished road
Angry Kangaroo jumping.

My Saxo 2003 1.5d is very jumpy when first starting up. 5 mins later drives like a dream. I've had the glow plugs replaced,the injectors checked and it is still happening. My car only has 53000 miles on the clock and is in immaculate condition both inside and out but am at my wits end what to do. Thanks.
lizziemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2022, 13:16   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemac View Post
My Saxo 2003 1.5d is very jumpy when first starting up. 5 mins later drives like a dream. I've had the glow plugs replaced,the injectors checked and it is still happening. My car only has 53000 miles on the clock and is in immaculate condition both inside and out but am at my wits end what to do. Thanks.

1).

There's a clear fuel feed pipe which runs from the fuel filter to the fuel pump inlet on the engine. Check it for bubbles. There shouldn't be any air bubbles in there when its running.

If there are bubbles, on the back of the engine above the fuel filter housing you will see a small plastic "cross". It's a relief valve. Fill that hole with oil resistant sealant.

If there are still bubbles after doing that, replace the pipe which goes from the primer bulb to the fuel filter housing. Replace it with a normal fuel hose the correct size, don't use clear pipe.

If there are no bubbles (or you've fixed the bubbles) and its still jerky, then try these:

2).

This engine runs a vacuum operated EGR valve. It's bolted right onto the intake manifold. It has a 5mm rubber pipe which goes from it to a solenoid on the bulkhead. Disconnect the vacuum pipe from the top of the EGR valve. stick a bolt or tape up the end of the pipe coming from the solenoid.

Drive the car around for a few days and see how it behaves. If that fixes it, leave the EGR disconnected.

If the problem is still there, then try below:

3).

Being a 2003, these have an ECU on top of the battery, it controls the timing electronically within the pump. On the side of the pump there are 2 connectors next to each other. one is black, one is blue. They're both small 2 pin plus.

Unplug them before you first start the car and see if that cures it once you start it and drive. Or even drive it around for a few days like that and see how it behaves.

Don't unplug the big 4 pin connector lower down. That's for the immobiliser and stop solenoid.

If that fixes the problem, leave them unplugged. Nobody will quote you for fixing that mechanism on the pump. Very few people (including "mechanics") understand how these pumps work.

If that still doesn't work, then going back to the EGR valve it could be jammed open slightly. You can unbolt the EGR valve and have a metal shim installed behind it to permanently block it off.

It could still be a glow plug fault, loom not connected properly etc but I presume you had them changed because of this lumpy startup.