Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 19th September 2019, 15:18   #1
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI - 106 GTI shell - New 106 Rallye shell
karl_mh is on a distinguished road
Default GMC Motorsport

Anyone know if GMC has stopped trading? I’ve tried to go onto the website but comes up with error.<br><br><br>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th September 2019, 10:37   #2
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Phone: 01671 404030

call and ask

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 16:41   #3
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Blimey!! just spent 30 mins on the phone with John from GMC regarding some engine mods including supercharging the engine, I also found out that he is still trading although he is selling his garage and everything in it.

A great guy and full to the brim of TU knowledge and other very useful information and it sound like there's not much he hasn't done over the years.
Old 21st September 2019, 16:54   #4
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

He is also doesn’t like it when you question him. Also likes to provide parts that “work well together” even though he has no knowledge of them working. His knowledge is old and has no room for the new school way of doing things. Be cautious of what he tells you as most things now can be done cheaper with better results.
Old 21st September 2019, 22:03   #5
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Duly noted sir<br><br><br>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:38   #6
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
He is also doesn’t like it when you question him. Also likes to provide parts that “work well together” even though he has no knowledge of them working. His knowledge is old and has no room for the new school way of doing things. Be cautious of what he tells you as most things now can be done cheaper with better results.
A bit off topic, but I was having a conversation with someone the other day who wants to fit carbs to an old VW, using silicone joiners - rather than buying a proper manifold for the purpose and using the standard injectors with a remap. bizarre.

But he's older and has no time for us generation Y folks.

Some people are just set in their ways
Old 22nd September 2019, 19:58   #7
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Generation X I'm afraid
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:12   #8
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
A bit off topic, but I was having a conversation with someone the other day who wants to fit carbs to an old VW, using silicone joiners - rather than buying a proper manifold for the purpose and using the standard injectors with a remap. bizarre.

But he's older and has no time for us generation Y folks.

Some people are just set in their ways
I wonder whether our generation will be like that in 10-15 years. When the new set of enthusiasts come along, wanting to do something new/better, and whether we’ll revert back to suggest the sorts of things we do now, and the way we do them.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:53   #9
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_mh View Post
Generation X I'm afraid
Jesus you're well old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
I wonder whether our generation will be like that in 10-15 years. When the new set of enthusiasts come along, wanting to do something new/better, and whether we’ll revert back to suggest the sorts of things we do now, and the way we do them.
Well I still tell people the Saxo/106 is the best thing since sliced bread, but secretly my 2016 Alto Works is a far better car, so much more advanced and nicer to drive.

Ahh well

106 is still better with it's really slow Bosch ECU.
Old 24th September 2019, 16:08   #10
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Well I still tell people the Saxo/106 is the best thing since sliced bread, but secretly my 2016 Alto Works is a far better car, so much more advanced and nicer to drive.

Ahh well

106 is still better with it's really slow Bosch ECU.
100%. I think there are a couple of things that come in to play with the Saxo / 106. The first is the nostalgia. I will always have a soft spot for the car because it reminds me of being 17/18. Driving around with my mates, fitting a few modifications, listening to music, racing other shit hatchbacks, going to Tesco at 11pm on a Wednesday to buy something to eat and a couple of beers – just because we could. I look back on those times with very fond memories. The second is the experience you get driving the car. I still have both a VTS and 106 Rallye, whenever I take the Saxo out I’m never really sure whether I’m going to make it home again. The car is so basic and poorly built compared to modern cars, the brakes are soft, the gears are loose, the stock steering doesn’t build much confidence and anything over 60 feels like the car is going to rattle itself apart, but at the same time, all of those things make the car excellent fun to drive. It’s a great car.
Old 24th September 2019, 21:44   #11
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
100%. I think there are a couple of things that come in to play with the Saxo / 106. The first is the nostalgia. I will always have a soft spot for the car because it reminds me of being 17/18. Driving around with my mates, fitting a few modifications, listening to music, racing other shit hatchbacks, going to Tesco at 11pm on a Wednesday to buy something to eat and a couple of beers – just because we could. I look back on those times with very fond memories. The second is the experience you get driving the car. I still have both a VTS and 106 Rallye, whenever I take the Saxo out I’m never really sure whether I’m going to make it home again. The car is so basic and poorly built compared to modern cars, the brakes are soft, the gears are loose, the stock steering doesn’t build much confidence and anything over 60 feels like the car is going to rattle itself apart, but at the same time, all of those things make the car excellent fun to drive. It’s a great car.
Absolutely, it winds the clock back 10 years every time I get in it

mmmm might want to look into your steering, mine is dead sharp hahahaha

The brakes however, yes for sure!
Old 30th September 2019, 12:16   #12
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Absolutely, it winds the clock back 10 years every time I get in it

mmmm might want to look into your steering, mine is dead sharp hahahaha

The brakes however, yes for sure!
My handling is as wallowy as anything. But the car is completely standard, on the original suspension. So it feels very loose compared to modern cars.
Old 19th November 2019, 15:49   #13
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

Its funny because my 106 has invsted a feeling of reliability in me that Ive not had in a long time. Nothing will go wrong, itll go on forever, return monster mpg. Admittedly its not as good a drive as modern cars, but! Is it unpleasant to drive? Not at all, its surprisingly quiet and comfy. I was going to get something more modern but for the driving I do, I dont really see the point
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2019, 23:24   #14
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

Modern mainstream cars have no soul.
There isn't one that I'd own being completely honest. They do a job, nothing more.
The only thing that I can imagine putting a smile on my face would be an MX5 or maybe that little Alpine thing.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 17:13   #15
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

lol, recently smoked some dude ragging an MX5, without even trying.

Quote:
my 106 [...] surprisingly quiet and comfy.
You should try a comfy/quiet car

Nostalgia, saw a saxo last week and had a smirk about how I don't miss it, and the 106 before that. I must have gone old or something.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 17:40   #16
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

My old saxo literally fell to pieces.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 23:15   #17
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
Modern mainstream cars have no soul.
There isn't one that I'd own being completely honest. They do a job, nothing more.
The only thing that I can imagine putting a smile on my face would be an MX5 or maybe that little Alpine thing.
My 2016 Alto is mainstream, but only in Japan.

Ability to turn off ALL driver aids, comes with Recaros, turbo, short ratio manual and it's 4WD. what's not to like
Old 7th December 2019, 17:20   #18
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My 2016 Alto is mainstream, but only in Japan.

Ability to turn off ALL driver aids, comes with Recaros, turbo, short ratio manual and it's 4WD. what's not to like
Things are very different in Japan
I really want to go one day when I can afford it
Might bring an R32 GTR and an NSX back with me, both are 'bucket list' cars for me.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2019, 12:35   #19
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
Things are very different in Japan
I really want to go one day when I can afford it
Might bring an R32 GTR and an NSX back with me, both are 'bucket list' cars for me.
Damn right they are! After brexit is done, we should focus on a trade deal with Japan, lower import fees and drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here. And we'll all become drift heroes and drive cars which have interesting spec.

R32 and an NSX oooooft

I've been watching them on the auctions and I'll need a lottery win to bring some of them back!

Been increasingly finding the need to buy myself a Kei truck, the shear amount of times where I wish I just had a loading tray big enough for 1 pallet!
Old 15th December 2019, 12:59   #20
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
After brexit is done, we should focus on a trade deal with Japan, lower import fees and drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here.
June 2018

Boris Johnson (on the consequences of business, and uncertainty around brexit): "Fuck business"

Japan: "Fukayoo UK"

(you do not do business deals with Japan using insults and/or threats, like, ever)

The following week, Japan scored a free deal with the EU, 0% fees on imports.

Good luck reeling them back in, as they also have stronger ties with France and Germany. There's a Jap car importer just a few miles from where I live, he's not doing good as people have shied away in the last year and a half. His yard went from busy to half empty since Japan left, and he's started doing german cars instead.

Quote:
drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here
come on, you need some Vxr chavs to replace them saxos. PSA's recently acquired vauxhall. Imagine a Corsa with a TU engine lol.

Last edited by Manu; 15th December 2019 at 13:19.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote