Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 15th April 2014, 22:52   #1
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 520bhp Honda Jazz
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!
Default Shin splints

Anyone know how to get over them?

Been going to the gym again since January, and i still struggle to run past 3-4km, they just cripple me! I do plenty of stretches before running.. A good 20 minutes worth infact, and they still come on so badly! I rest between running, tried running on a slight incline, and I still just get battered by them!

Never used to get them when i was younger, used to run cross country for the country at school level, and played football until i was 18/19, and never had an issue..

Life's a bitch, then you die.
smiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 16:25   #2
Manwhore
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 2 saxo vts , ax vts , 4.7 V8 jeep
Manwhore is on a distinguished road

I suffer from shin splints on the tread mill , it's usually a combination of the hard surface & non proper running shoes that don't help you . I literally feel your pain
Manwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 16:28   #3
chompy
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Because racecar
chompy is on a distinguished road

I get this when I'm climbing. Just power through and stop being such a big girl.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chompy For This Useful Post:
Old 16th April 2014, 16:58   #4
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

Check the thread I put up gayboy
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 22:41   #5
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33h View Post
Check the thread I put up gayboy
Gayboy? Is that thread title?
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 23:03   #6
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

Get measured for decent running trainers and run on a slight incline to take the pressure off.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452645
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 23:16   #7
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

Wear flip flops, they're much more comfortable when running I find.
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 14:40   #8
wullvfr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Audi a3 1.8sport,kawasaki zx9r c2,Yamaha R1 track
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
wullvfr is on a distinguished road

I got them bad when I started boxing due to the skipping and running,they just went in time though......I wouldn't wish them on anyone,the pain was quite severe.

They were effecting me at work and I was finding walking a bit of a struggle but funnily enough when I was doing my fitness it wasn't as bad,a bit like when your all stiff and sore from a previous workout but loosen up a bit when you start working out again.
wullvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 21:57   #9
Oli-VTR
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Icelandic Grey VTR Mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Oli-VTR is on a distinguished road

Started with the army beginning of the year, absolutely kill me if my boots are too tight yet in trainers or slacked off boots I can go for miles. Worth having a look at footwear, but if it's still an issue you may have stress fractures from going to hard too soon, lost a few lads off course from them.
Old 18th April 2014, 17:08   #10
matt_vtr_15a
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Stage 1 Mitsubishi Evo 6
matt_vtr_15a is on a distinguished road

I used to get shin splints, i find the best cure is to stop running...

Cardio wise I just do stuff I enjoy now such as swimming, rowing, and 2-3mins of flopping around on top of whatever girl I have lured back to my house.

I used to enjoy running when I was on the other side of 14.5stone, now i'm closer to 17stone I couldn't think of anything worse, don't mind hill sprints but anything for prolonged periods absolute ruins my shins.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...457196&page=21

Last edited by matt_vtr_15a; 18th April 2014 at 17:10.
matt_vtr_15a is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matt_vtr_15a For This Useful Post:
Old 18th April 2014, 22:48   #11
McGuire86
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): '08 Civic Type R GT FN2
McGuire86 is on a distinguished road

Body isn't used to it more than likely. Stop for 2 weeks doing running or any exercise that stresses the shins. Ice packs for a few days will help.

Then start again but do less, gradually building the distance up over 6 weeks, get some proper trainers too, go to a running shop.

Do you smoke btw ?
Old 19th April 2014, 11:50   #12
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!

Don't smoke, and i have proper running trainers.. It just pisses me off that my legs give in before i'm even nearly out of breath from running, or usually even working up a sweat.. Also run on an incline, doesn't do an awful lot

Old 26th April 2014, 20:52   #13
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

get to a proper running shop and get your 'gait' done, its where they record you on a treadmill and see how your foot rolls, they they can pick the correct trainer for you, means things are more level when your foot lands.

Also put hot water bottle on your shins and stretch them for five minutes, then stick ice on them, do the same, then repeat. What the physio had me doing when I used to get them.

What trainers do you use at the moment? How long have you had them? How much do you wear them?
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:53   #14
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Know of any shops that do that around boro sort of area Matt?

Trainers, i wear some proper adidas running shoes, had them a year now, probably had 8 months of use total out of them.. Used purely for the gym

Old 27th April 2014, 20:32   #15
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

i just know a place in darlo mate, but they have moved and doesnt say where haha

i googled it and this lot came up

gait analysis boro

dont know whats close to you or not. sometimes places will charge you for it unless you buy trainers from them.
Old 29th April 2014, 22:32   #16
SGregg
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Mk6 Golf GTD Saxo VTS Project Rally Car
SGregg is on a distinguished road

I used to suffer with shin splints when I started running, had my gaite done which was fine, shop said my trainers had enough cushioning left, but I chose to get a new pair of trainers anyway. The shin splints, went away, and it wasn't until my new trainers were starting to wear out that, I don't think it was shin splints per say, but mild pain in my shins that I got another new pair of trainers (probably 600 odd miles.) My shins have gradually (I assume) built strength and I now get absolutely no shin pain at all, ever.

I'd suggest getting a new pair of trainers, 8 months is a fair time to pounding on them in the gym. If this works, then take it as a future sign you need to change trainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Put a photo of yourself up so we can all recognise you when you are on police interceptors or traffic cops
SGregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 00:10   #17
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

600 miles is a huge amount in running trainers
Old 30th April 2014, 22:24   #18
SGregg
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Mk6 Golf GTD Saxo VTS Project Rally Car
SGregg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
600 miles is a huge amount in running trainers
but not unachievable.

Just checked my mileage around the time I started running, it was probably more like 400-500. I change my trainer around 350 miles now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Put a photo of yourself up so we can all recognise you when you are on police interceptors or traffic cops
SGregg is offline   Reply With Quote