Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 6th January 2013, 12:28   #41
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Isn't it a lithium Ion battery in my iPhone that I keep in my pocket day in, day out??
Obviously a race battery may not be the best solution for an everyday car, but for people looking for an overall lightweight car then they should not be ignored.
There are plenty of small cars running small batteries that will work fine with a stripped out track inspired car.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KamRacing For This Useful Post:
Old 6th January 2013, 16:23   #42
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

It is Kam, but, it us also temperature monitored and has the correct charging system, unlike putting one in a car.

Like I said, I know a bit about batteries but I'm by no means an expert and a lot of what I've said was found by doing a bit of research. As were seeing on Josh's beast, it does Senn to be working fine but for a proper test I'd like to see how it would fair on a daily drivers doing a mix of driving day to day.

As is usually the case with me, I will probably end up wrong (as JP is proving lol) and all the info I've put up will be proven as rubbish.
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alanapone For This Useful Post:
Old 6th January 2013, 19:07   #43
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX 16v Turbo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
e8_pqck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanapone View Post
It is Kam, but, it us also temperature monitored and has the correct charging system, unlike putting one in a car.

Like I said, I know a bit about batteries but I'm by no means an expert and a lot of what I've said was found by doing a bit of research. As were seeing on Josh's beast, it does Senn to be working fine but for a proper test I'd like to see how it would fair on a daily drivers doing a mix of driving day to day.

As is usually the case with me, I will probably end up wrong (as JP is proving lol) and all the info I've put up will be proven as rubbish.
Been good info so far, if anything it should spur us on to undertake research of our own.
e8_pqck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e8_pqck For This Useful Post:
Old 18th February 2013, 12:30   #44
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

wolf_gsxr is on a distinguished road

read:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ideal_battery

... if there anything like li-po batterys id be very careful.. i had a home made uav that exploded mid air with a 10000mah 11.1v li-po battery.

Edit: and this is what happens to a tiny one when its overcharged. skip to 1.50
All we know is its harcoreblowjobs shitter........................

Last edited by wolf_gsxr; 18th February 2013 at 12:35.
wolf_gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 14:11   #45
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mango Westcoast
jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!

Pretty scary watching that tbh... Mine was from 'Skyrich' batteries, im no expert on exactly which battery mine is. I guess it's a good job my alternator is geared down so it's charging less.

But again I can only go on personal experience of mine, longest trip I did was 4.5 hours from Cornwall back up to the midlands (see pic) with a 5 minute stop roughly halfway back for fuel

My 2015 Project thread ---> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...202333&page=45
jpsaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 23:53   #46
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

ideally you could do with a car sized li-po alarm. and overcharge cutoff. Normal battery's are just charged but li-po, li-fe and li-ion battery's are balance charged so that each cell holds the same voltage as the next. if your car was hard to start and took a while to crank over and the cell voltage drops it could go bang.. or if you have a full battery and your alternator is ramming more volts through it it can go bang. However with the right precautions (voltage gauge/ some way of cutting the alternator) then they offer far more power than a standard battery for alot less weight.. that being said my battery knowledge comes from rc planes and airsoft guns so the car battery might have same built in protection..
Old 19th February 2013, 01:49   #47
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore

jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_gsxr View Post
ideally you could do with a car sized li-po alarm. and overcharge cutoff. Normal battery's are just charged but li-po, li-fe and li-ion battery's are balance charged so that each cell holds the same voltage as the next. if your car was hard to start and took a while to crank over and the cell voltage drops it could go bang.. or if you have a full battery and your alternator is ramming more volts through it it can go bang. However with the right precautions (voltage gauge/ some way of cutting the alternator) then they offer far more power than a standard battery for alot less weight.. that being said my battery knowledge comes from rc planes and airsoft guns so the car battery might have same built in protection..
Yeah that was along the lines of what I was thinking, some kind of trip switch that would stop charging the battery once it hit its full charge & start charging it again once it's hit a certain minimum % of charge, don't suppose you have any info on these or potential trick bits of kit that could be used?

My 2015 Project thread ---> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...202333&page=45
The Following User Says Thank You to jpsaxo For This Useful Post:
Old 19th February 2013, 06:02   #48
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX 16v Turbo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
e8_pqck is on a distinguished road

Josh, have you not taken this battery to the ring? What pulleys have you got on, is it Sandys ally kit?
e8_pqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 07:46   #49
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

There is lots of off the shelf stuff but there for 11.1/14v lipo's. il see what's I can find for ya. Does it have the specs printed on the battery? Like voltage, amps and ah?
Old 19th February 2013, 09:21   #50
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8_pqck View Post
Josh, have you not taken this battery to the ring? What pulleys have you got on, is it Sandys ally kit?
Never took it to the ring, this year will be the first time...

Yep Sandy's race spec pully kit so it gears the alternator down (and in turn the drag) quite a bit

Quote:
There is lots of off the shelf stuff but there for 11.1/14v lipo's. il see what's I can find for ya. Does it have the specs printed on the battery? Like voltage, amps and ah?
I'm sure it does have the spec on it however I'm the other side of the planet mate so can't check... Ill dig out some pictures and edit this post this evening for you mate

Edit:

Hope that helps? If not I can get my dad/brother to take pics & get the info you need at the weekend

Last edited by jpsaxo; 19th February 2013 at 09:46.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:55   #51
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

Not overly lol. What you could do is run a smart li-po trickle charger from a 12v supply on a switch with a volt gauge. So the alternator doesn't charge the battery it just gives 12v to the battery charger. Which means there's a possibility to run a smaller/ less power sapping alternator. In theory what should then happen is you start your car and it drains some of your battery. The charger then charges your battery nice and gently and cuts off when it's full. Like I said though this is for the lipo packs I know. A car one might have all the protective circuits built into the battery already. I'd try to phone/email the company and enquire about it. It's designed as a car battery and I assume I'd didn't come with a list of do and do not's so it could be fine, but you have a very nice car and considering a lipo battery the size of a matchbox can blow up a 2m wingspan plane out of the sky one that big will make a mess. That and the fumes it gives off are VERY poisonous.

Another interesting read and shows the power a tiny battery http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rc-myths-f...-car-starting/

Last edited by wolf_gsxr; 19th February 2013 at 13:19.
Old 19th February 2013, 13:32   #52
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

Right. Done some research on your specific battery and I have some good news. As its made of slightly different materials from a normal lithium battery it won't burn or explode and is less picky about being charged. The only requirement is font let the battery discharge to much (run flat) or don't let it exceed 15v. So all you need really is a volt meter to keep an eye on the voltage levels and possibly an alternator cutoff switch incase it gets close to 15v. That's said if its geared down it shouldn't be to bad. Sorry for previous scare mongering lol. You should be fine as long as the voltage stays below 15v.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:01   #53
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): N/A 200bhp+ per ton 106 gti
iTrader Score: 28 (97%)
Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!

Now about to buy one of these lit ion batts, how hard would it be to wire a trip if it reaches 15v+ ?

Up The Toon
Jimmy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:33   #54
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

You could have a volt gauge and have a manual cut off like the FIA red battery isolators hidden somewhere connected between the alternator and the battery. You can buy a battery charger for that exact battery on their website. You could wrie the alternator to power that an that will charge the battery/cut off when it's full. The only problem would be if the charger could handle the power the alternator puts out.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolf_gsxr For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:55   #55
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): N/A 200bhp+ per ton 106 gti
iTrader Score: 28 (97%)
Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!

ok its a 100% track car so have you got any links for a manual cut off switch mate? thanks for sharing your knowledge too!

Up The Toon
Jimmy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:07   #56
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Right. Done some research on your specific battery and I have some good news. As its made of slightly different materials from a normal lithium battery it won't burn or explode and is less picky about being charged. The only requirement is font let the battery discharge to much (run flat) or don't let it exceed 15v. So all you need really is a volt meter to keep an eye on the voltage levels and possibly an alternator cutoff switch incase it gets close to 15v. That's said if its geared down it shouldn't be to bad. Sorry for previous scare mongering lol. You should be fine as long as the voltage stays below 15v.
That's reassuring to hear mate, I've check what it's charging at what do they normally charge at? Like I said mine is geared down... But it also revs higher than standard so at constant high revs it could over charge?

Old 22nd February 2013, 23:15   #57
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

FIA switch go to demontweeks/rally design/ eBay I think there less than £20. What I'd suggest is get a multi meter and see what the peak amps/ volts are at the redline. that battery needs ideally no les that 14v and no more than 15v. The drain of the battery from starting it should be enough of a drop to let it charge while on track. So if its a track car it's pretty much plug and play. It's a shame you can't run the engine off the alternator like a crosser does with its coil thing. Battery just to start the car then just turn it off or wait till its charged and turn it off. That battery according to the makers won't ever blow up or set fire so at worst if you let the voltage get abit high is decrease it's lifespan.

Last edited by wolf_gsxr; 22nd February 2013 at 23:34.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:28   #58
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

Right.. forget all of that and read this: http://www.skyrichbattery.com/p7/Lit...ery/pages.html .... read each of the 5 things at the top (overview, installation guide, maintanence etc) its best you take there advice as its there battery and they explain things better than me lol.. hope this helps.
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:33   #59
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore

That's awesome mate cheers for the info. Basically we should be sweet unless its overcharged at more than 15.0V

Old 23rd February 2013, 07:56   #60
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

Correct. Ideally to keep it fully charged it needs to be over 14v but you can top it up with a battery charger. You should be set to use it with your alternator geared down. I'd still be buying a volt gauge to to see when it gets low. That and I like fancy gauges lol.