Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 8th May 2016, 21:27   #1
Dave2254
L-plater

Dave2254 is on a distinguished road
Default 1.1 saxo overheating

Hi everyone,
Ive got a 2002 1.1 saxo which is overheating. If im driving with the heaters off the coolent rises quickly and starts leaking from under the rad cap but with the heaters on it takes longer to start overheat. I've opened all the bleen valves filling with coolant (while squeezing both rad pipes) until coolant comes out of all three the done then up started the engine and continued filling until the expanction is full so its not an air lock.

Secondly ive replaced the thermostat as thought that could be stuck closed and lastly the heater matrix isnt leaking at all. No oil mixing with water so wouldnt say its the head gasket.

So the coolent just rises and starts leaking from under the cap after about 5mins of driving from cold.

Does anyone have any other ideas i could try?
Dave2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 02:44   #2
konark
L-plater

Car(s): 2002 Desire 1.1 Posi Blue
konark is on a distinguished road

Are you overfilling it?, it only needs to come halfway up the filler pipe on the radiator, between 6 and 12 inches below the cap level and it's difficult to get the water out of the filler neck when you've finished filling it.

After the initial expansion water won't continue to come out of the filler cap as there won't be enough water in the system.
konark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 08:50   #3
Spendyrx
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 1.4 gti replica (ish) Fd rx7 1.3tt 106 1.1
Spendyrx is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a hgf to me but...... Maybe try just replacing the rad cap first! Think mine was about 5 quid on eBay or get one from scraps, they may just say take it!
Only other thing I could suggest would be to flush it all and refill it
Spendyrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 09:50   #4
Dave2254
L-plater

Thanks for your replys :-) im not overfilling i never fill it all the way up, my dad thought it could be the water pump? Will try flushing it later today see how far i get
Old 9th May 2016, 10:02   #5
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

when was the cambelt / water pump last done?
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 10:13   #6
Dave2254
L-plater

I dnt have a clue i only brought it 3 weeks ago!
Old 9th May 2016, 12:04   #7
Dave2254
L-plater

Just a quick update, I've flushed the cooling system and has made no difference also the bottom radiator hose has started getting really hot is this something to do with it?
Old 9th May 2016, 19:27   #8
Shadowslayerzz
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr in black 53 plate Silvertop with a few mo
Shadowslayerzz is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the water pump is buggered, if the water isn't being circulated by the pump it will sit static in the plumbing until it heats up and eventually causes the water to boil, which is probably why the water is coming out the cap because the expansion of boiling water is pushing water out from the cap... I'd take the water pump off by the belts and test it whilst off the engine and see if it needs replacing
Shadowslayerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 19:39   #9
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Could also be the cooling system is being pressurised because of head gasket failure,mine did the same thing.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 21:08   #10
Dave2254
L-plater

Thanks again guys my dad took the top hose off the rad and removed the rad cad cap then blew into the hose making all the coolent bubble in the expantion tank and the then put the cap and hose bk on this seems to of sorted it (fingers crossed!!) but will report back if further issues accor
Old 10th May 2016, 12:27   #11
Spendyrx
Infrequent Poster

Fingers crossed!
I thought maybe water pump but surely if the water pump wasn't functioning right it would cause the heaters to run cool right?
Old 10th May 2016, 13:56   #12
Dave2254
L-plater

I been out today and all seems ok, the needle goes just above middle the heaters r blowing hot still but might get the water pump done just for peice of mind
Old 10th May 2016, 15:14   #13
Spendyrx
Infrequent Poster

May as well for the sake of 30 odd quid
Old 10th May 2016, 19:06   #14
Shadowslayerzz
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr in black 53 plate Silvertop with a few mo
Shadowslayerzz is on a distinguished road

You'd of thought that spendyrx but if the pump isn't pulling any water then the heat won't be dispersed evenly and will boil I suppose
Shadowslayerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 20:05   #15
Dave2254
L-plater

My local garage quoted £150 to have the water pump changed is this reasnable?
Old 10th May 2016, 21:57   #16
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Yes considering they'd have to replace the cambelt and tensioner at the same time.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 20:22   #17
Spendyrx
Infrequent Poster

Do you know it's 100% waterpump? Maybe worth getting a hydrocarbon dye test done first to see if the heads gone, it's gonna be cheaper than getting the water pump done! I know either way you're gonna end up replacing the waterpump but still its better than paying double the Labour charge of stripping heads/belts etc!
Not a bad price though for Labour and parts!
Old 4th May 2019, 20:19   #18
Alexa
L-plater

Alexa is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem after changing head gasket,coolant is boiling fan works too short I suspect it could be the thermostat.Water pump has not be changed but I don't think it's causes this.

Any ideas?
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 23:13   #19
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
I have the same problem after changing head gasket,coolant is boiling fan works too short I suspect it could be the thermostat.Water pump has not be changed but I don't think it's causes this.

Any ideas?
Have you given the cooling system a good, thorough flush? I managed to get my hosepipe sealed to various parts of the cooking system and flushed through in both directions.

Also, did you bleed the system at all of the correct points?
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 10:15   #20
dt_
Regular Poster

Car(s): Zx volcane td Peugeot 205 1600 auto
dt_ has a spectacular aura aboutdt_ has a spectacular aura about

Does sound like head gasket starting to fail. There are a few quick tests you can do:

After a drive, squeeze a few of the coolant hoses, are they rock hard?
Take off radiator cap (when cold) and have a sniff, can you smell petrol? Can you see tiny black flecks in the coolant (carbon deposits)
Leave rad cap off an run engine. If you are getting regular bubbling that's combustion gas escaping

I would try all these before going ahead with the water pump as the head will have to come off anyway and the pump and belts can be done as part of the same job
dt_ is offline   Reply With Quote