Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 26th May 2008, 18:06   #1
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!
Default Non-self Portraity Stuff (56k users - FFS, get broadband)

Well didn't go quite as planned.. Myself and another photographer had planned to do a photoshoot in da woods with two of my friends... unfortunately it urinated it far too severely so gave that a miss. however we didn't really want to right the day off completely so we opted for typical portrait stuff instead...

loads of pics... some shite, some(by my own admission) good... some stupid. Was good fun anyway. but anyway a mixed bag so you can observe at least

critique pleaseeee

Ads

And finally... let one of the girls take a pic.... at least my wristbands were in focus

Last edited by Barry123; 26th May 2008 at 18:08.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 18:09   #2
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Some nice shots there dude. What lens and setup was you using matey??
Old 26th May 2008, 18:10   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

pic 2 my fav. Background looks to grey in the others which is a shame.
can see flash position from reflection in eyes.

using a softbox or just your mates umbrellas?
Old 26th May 2008, 18:12   #4
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Matt.... loads of different lenses man... I lost track of which is which lol

lots of flashes, softbox, umbrella, colour gels, ambient loooooads. background was just a wall.... which was a bit of a sod but it works quite well with the 'graduatedness'
Old 26th May 2008, 18:14   #5
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

thought softbox was being used due to the shape of a couple of the flashes in eyes bo!

take it they are taken in a bedroom? going by it being a wall.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:15   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

shit yeah you're right actually... we used CRB on the rear to give a slight bit of blue for the background... fucking things looks grey.

bollocks. ah well for a first time it still pwns.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:16   #7
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Quick question for either of you two, how can make the background of a subject underexposed or overexposed whilst the subject still exposed properly?

What range of lenses do you have now Ads and ryan what do you use for a walkabout lens? What macro lenses do you have?

Last edited by mattchewone; 26th May 2008 at 18:18.
mattchewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 18:17   #8
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

i like looking at intricate details.

can see difference in walls on a few, some are grey, last one more blue.

square flash in eyes can be cloned out though.

i think im gonna bite the bullet and sort my flash shit out asap, aswell as do some proper reading
Old 26th May 2008, 18:18   #9
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
Quick question for either of you two, how can make the background of a subject underexposed or overexposed whilst the subject still exposed properly?
lighting can be to strong.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:20   #10
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
lighting can be to strong.
I want to be able to take a shot of say my gf and the BG underexposed so the backgrounf looks dark/black while she is still lit properly only using my 430EX flash.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:22   #11
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
i think im gonna bite the bullet and sort my flash shit out asap, aswell as do some proper reading
copy cat. stick to nightclub.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:24   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
copy cat. stick to nightclub.
ive been asked to do some stuff for portraits. so Need it. and been talking for months about sorting out a set up to do portfolio stuff from when im in my new house.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:25   #13
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
What range of lenses do you have now Ads and ryan what do you use for a walkabout lens? What macro lenses do you have?
macro bores me currently so dont own any specific macro.

I dont have a walkabout lens, i have my bag on me and use the lens i need for each set up.

10mm fisheye
10-20 siggy
18-50 siggy
maybe 17-35 siggy
28-135 IS canon
70-200 IS L canon.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:27   #14
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
I want to be able to take a shot of say my gf and the BG underexposed so the backgrounf looks dark/black while she is still lit properly only using my 430EX flash.
no worries man... it'll be tough as it's on camera, which remember...

On camera flash = disaster flash.

twat up your shutter speed (max 250)... although you can use high speed flash but that'll lower the flash power a lot.

and bosh up the aperture f/11 or something if you can

lower the iso... that should kill out the ambient light

but because it's on camera you've got to deal with the nasty shadows behind.

bouncing i can imagine will just spread the light and light the background too. maybe try bouncing with it zoomed to 105mm

ads
Old 26th May 2008, 18:27   #15
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Oh right fair enough pal.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:30   #16
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
no worries man... it'll be tough as it's on camera, which remember...

On camera flash = disaster flash.

twat up your shutter speed (max 250)... although you can use high speed flash but that'll lower the flash power a lot.

and bosh up the aperture f/11 or something if you can

lower the iso... that should kill out the ambient light

but because it's on camera you've got to deal with the nasty shadows behind.

bouncing i can imagine will just spread the light and light the background too. maybe try bouncing with it zoomed to 105mm

ads
Cheers ads! I want to be able to take a headshot and have a pitch black BG. would changing the metering make any difference on how the camera deals with exposure to the BG?
Old 26th May 2008, 18:33   #17
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Cheers ads! I want to be able to take a headshot and have a pitch black BG. would changing the metering make any difference on how the camera deals with exposure to the BG?
you're going to get a bright background because the camera is facing the same direction as the lens (so shadows and stuff will occur). unless you get a black felt background you're going to have trouble with a single flash man.

What I'd suggest is getting a bed side lamp and using that and avoiding the flash altogether.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:34   #18
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
ive been asked to do some stuff for portraits. so Need it. and been talking for months about sorting out a set up to do portfolio stuff from when im in my new house.
well if you need some advice from what I've discovered give me a bell.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:37   #19
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
you're going to get a bright background because the camera is facing the same direction as the lens (so shadows and stuff will occur). unless you get a black felt background you're going to have trouble with a single flash man.

What I'd suggest is getting a bed side lamp and using that and avoiding the flash altogether.
Not got a bedside lamp lol. Ill give a few things a try and see what i can get if not i shall be giving you a bell matey! Will try some thing i have a few things in mind will wait till its dark then ill take a few shots in the dark.
Old 26th May 2008, 18:39   #20
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
well if you need some advice from what I've discovered give me a bell.
cheers, i need to sort it out. As whilst at uni i can make some respectable fundage.

that studio london want £75 a photo. And alot of people at my uni in the drama studios want stuff done for portfolios, and would pay well, but not £75 a photo.