Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 15th July 2008, 10:29   #81
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
Sayer did you buy that all from jessops? What tripods do those brackets fit?
yep I bought that stuff from jessops... they had a 10% off Jessops own brand (PC/hotshoe adaptors) and a 10% of PortaFlash stuff (brolly brackets)

They'll fit just about anything... they have these brass adaptors in the end which come out and have an alternative fitment. But either way it's a universal bracket and they'll brill.

EDIT: Oh and the lightstands were from Cameras2u. £10 each for the 2.5m jobbies.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 10:42   #82
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

I see!! Thanks Sayer! What was the cheapest flash you bought. Might pick up another one or two flashes.
You pick up the brollys and softboxes from egay?
Old 15th July 2008, 13:22   #83
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

I havent got a softbox... rather than get a studio softy and modify it. I'm going to buy a softbox dedicated for a flash gun but that's around £150 on its own - so it'll be a winter toy when I get round to it.

The brollys were £2 off ebay each.

cheapest flashes.... not really that cheap unfortunately... you need as a MINIMUM full manual control. I've seen a few that offer Full and 1/16 power outputs only... AVOID.

I got lucky with the SB-28's but typically you're looking at £90 including delivery each. sb-24 are ok... you still get the control although the recycle time will be in decades rather than seconds.

but there are plenty of options open to you man
Old 28th July 2008, 10:18   #84
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Just to let you know 7dayshop where doing 2800' batteries for £3.99 for a set of 4.

Think im going to order a grey card and two 85-243cm light stands. How much did you pay for the flash bracket?
Found this on calumet http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MF6830/ £16 how much did you say the ones you bought where?
Then i just need another flash and two brollys and a BG and a flash meter and new lenses lol!

Sayer get this list all sorted with links onto the first page!!
Old 28th July 2008, 10:45   #85
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

verrrrry interesting... although make sure they are skankyhoe budget branded batteries otherwise they'll more likely be about 10mAh. see a few tests where the claimed ratings were much lower for cheapo ones. Do you know which brand homie?

Flash brackets? Jessops - £16 (they have a sale on with Portaflash and Own brand stuff). No delivery charge, they're a tiddly bit meaty that the ones from Calumet but either way they're want you need and will do the job perfectly

can I ask why you want a flash meter? If you're doing film work they're a godsend for for digital you can see on the fly how the pics are and how the changes you make adjust the lighting in the picture.

Flashes... get yourself to LCE, they seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that the nikon flashes are selling at ridiculous prices on ebay. In fact I could make a nice bit of dosh doing that actually...

I'll sort the list out when I get a chance
Old 28th July 2008, 12:20   #86
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

What and who are LCE. If its a website linky please

Batteries where 7dayshop branded so i have probably bought 8 1mAh batteries lol.

Ill take a wee look at Jessops portaflash stuff in a sec. Do they allow for brollys and softboxes?

As for flash meter, makes things easier in the studio for setting up a high key setup and always handy to have one i guess, for tricky situations, also im a sucker for gadgets.
Cant work out how to setup the BG to be 1stop over using the in built meter. I really need to look at a chart and work out F/stop times table so i know what is 1 stop above and below and/or how to work it out.

You done any more portrait shoots yet Sayer? Where's Ryan he doesnt seem to be posting much in photography section anymore is he still alive?
Old 28th July 2008, 13:21   #87
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
What and who are LCE. If its a website linky please

Batteries where 7dayshop branded so i have probably bought 8 1mAh batteries lol.

Ill take a wee look at Jessops portaflash stuff in a sec. Do they allow for brollys and softboxes?

As for flash meter, makes things easier in the studio for setting up a high key setup and always handy to have one i guess, for tricky situations, also im a sucker for gadgets.
Cant work out how to setup the BG to be 1stop over using the in built meter. I really need to look at a chart and work out F/stop times table so i know what is 1 stop above and below and/or how to work it out.

You done any more portrait shoots yet Sayer? Where's Ryan he doesnt seem to be posting much in photography section anymore is he still alive?
LCE = London Camera Exchange
They have branches dotted about all over the place. I'm sure G'town had a sb-24 and sb-26 in stock. I really want a 5th flash (ideally a sb-28 but an sb-26 will keep me happy)

Portaflash Series 3 Universal brolly bracket are the ones I've got I'll fit just about anything so no worries on that part.

High Key setup? what's that man?

Why do you want to setup the background to be +1 stop over? so that it's white yar? Matt, it'll piss easy surely?

take a photo of the BG... look at your histogram (with highlight clipping alert on - read the manual) if the histogram shows nothing in the far right you need to widen your aperture/increase the flash power. If on the other hand you have flashing black and white during the review and the histogram is all shifted to the right then you need to increase the aperture/reduce the power.

ya? or am I missing thing lol?

On the stops issue... on your camera I'm pretty sure it'll be in steps of +/- 1/3 stops. so if you're at say

1/60 @ f/5.6
400 ISO

I can bet that if you adjust the shutter speed the increments will be (a stop in each direction)...

-1 EV - 1/125
-2/3 EV - 1/100
-1/3 EV - 1/80
0EV - 1/60
+ 1/3 EV - 1/50
+ 2/3 EV - 1/40
+1 - 1/30

The basic rule for shutter speeds is that:
When you half/double the shutter speed - you lose/gain a stop

The basic rule for ISO is that:
when you half/double the shutter speed - you lose/gain a stop

for the aperture it's a bit different because of diaphrams of the aperture not being entire round which introduces mathematical errors and that you're based on the area of a circle which an exponential function... yada yada

but don't fear... The basic rule for aperture is that:
when you half/double the aperture value - you lose/gain TWO stops

hope that isn't too confusing lol

Me... nope haven't had time recently just plowing on with the nightclub stuff...

Actually, in the process of sorting out something with Warner Bros which is cool, unlikely anything will come of it but then again I don't really depend my life on getting it or not (we're talking months here), and I've got a Hotel in Manchester wanting some pics doing of the building and grounds (again we're talking months away).

Ryan, i think(!), is taking a breather at the moment... not sure he's doing MOS currently. He's training his titties off for athletics and that stuff (i think!)
Old 28th July 2008, 14:16   #88
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

High key = over exposed pure white BG. Yer your right i could just up the flash/studio lights and shoot until i get the the blinkies going and then add the subject. Ill try this when i get a BG. Not sure what to get the muslin backdrops are 10foot by 20foot.

Not sure if getting clamps and a double white bed sheet will work. Suction pads for the walls ftw.

Is the a table which shows the full range of stops. So F/11 is 2 stops + than F/8 is from what i have heard of talk photography. Whats F/9 in comparison to F/11?

Well as LCE isnt near me let me know if you see a flash and ill send you the money to buy me one. Might order myself those portaflash those later and two stands and a grey card.

Luv Ya xx
Old 28th July 2008, 15:09   #89
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
High key = over exposed pure white BG. Yer your right i could just up the flash/studio lights and shoot until i get the the blinkies going and then add the subject. Ill try this when i get a BG. Not sure what to get the muslin backdrops are 10foot by 20foot.

Not sure if getting clamps and a double white bed sheet will work. Suction pads for the walls ftw.

Is the a table which shows the full range of stops. So F/11 is 2 stops + than F/8 is from what i have heard of talk photography. Whats F/9 in comparison to F/11?

Well as LCE isnt near me let me know if you see a flash and ill send you the money to buy me one. Might order myself those portaflash those later and two stands and a grey card.

Luv Ya xx
If you pull the subject(s) away from the background (blurring the background more) you should be ok I reckon. I've been using bed sheets and bare walls but because of the distance I've been using it's been fine as it smooths out imperfections but yeah man I know you mean totally... I've love to bag a nice big white and a nice big black background.

Talk are clearly talking poopoo man.. as above when you double the aperture number you decrease by 2 stops.

so F/16 would be 2 stops darker than F/8
F/11 would be 2 stops darker than F/5.6

F/8 would a 1 stop darker than f/5.6

F/9 isn't a full stop by definition...

remember these two values... F/1.4 and F/2 (these are your two starting apertures for most photographers)... /1.4 and /2 are a stop apart.

now double both 1.4 and 2 in sequence... see what you get compared to what values you have on your camera

1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11 (rounding error), 16, 22

each of those numbers is a stop difference from the next one.
between each value I've listed there you'll have two increment values (1/3 stop).

hope that makes sense man

And on the flashes... no problem at all... I'll take a look this weekend if I can and drop you a text so you know what's available
Old 28th July 2008, 23:20   #90
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Sayer where did you order those gels from i cant find them on Eghey! just ordered two reflectors, going to order two stands and pop in jessops wednesday for a bracket.
Old 29th July 2008, 01:38   #91
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Sayer where did you order those gels from i cant find them on Eghey! just ordered two reflectors, going to order two stands and pop in jessops wednesday for a bracket.
There you go my child

if you want the lot for the discounted price then you'll have to email them first to arrange it... They're a pleasure to deal with, really nice and quick on delivery too.

5-in-1 reflectors yeah? sorry I totally forgot to mention it earlier
Old 29th July 2008, 09:48   #92
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
There you go my child

if you want the lot for the discounted price then you'll have to email them first to arrange it... They're a pleasure to deal with, really nice and quick on delivery too.

5-in-1 reflectors yeah? sorry I totally forgot to mention it earlier
What discounted price did you pay? Ill email them saying i they was recommended by a friend and that he paid £.. will you do the same deal.

Yer 5-in-1 reflectors an 80cm and a 110cm. Two 85-243cm light stands, then ill pop in to jessops on my wednesday or thursday as im off work. You upto anything these week Sayer?
Old 29th July 2008, 10:05   #93
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
What discounted price did you pay? Ill email them saying i they was recommended by a friend and that he paid £.. will you do the same deal.
or read the listing further down and it'll tell what to you

Quote:
Yer 5-in-1 reflectors an 80cm and a 110cm. Two 85-243cm light stands, then ill pop in to jessops on my wednesday or thursday as im off work. You upto anything these week Sayer?
nice one. I'm working this week... then I'm finished... yessss
Old 29th July 2008, 10:08   #94
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

You suck im off wednesday but going to goodwood and im off thursday and friday! Oh right ill re-read the listing then lol.

What do the CTO gels do Sayer?
Old 29th July 2008, 10:38   #95
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
You suck im off wednesday but going to goodwood and im off thursday and friday! Oh right ill re-read the listing then lol.

What do the CTO gels do Sayer?
hahaha

Goodwood tomorrow?!

whyyyyy?

CTO - Colour Temperature Orange dude... Read Strobist.

basically when you're in a room that has tungsten light... the light they give off isn't white... it's orange... so when you set your white balance the camera applies what looks like a slight blue filter on the image to compensate... resulting in an image with white light and correct skin colours. HOWEVER... if you then include a flash in the scene the blue compensation means that flash (which can be described loosely as 'white light') will appear blue.

So what happens is that you apply a CTO (which is a Correction filter) to the flash to match the ambient lighting colour.

Old 29th July 2008, 10:48   #96
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Goodwood tomorrow my mate at work is going round the track in lambo diablo so im going to take some shots practice really.

Oh right i have a had a quick read of strobist but just not on CTO yet lol.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:30   #97
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Goodwood tomorrow my mate at work is going round the track in lambo diablo so im going to take some shots practice really.

Oh right i have a had a quick read of strobist but just not on CTO yet lol.
It's quite a bit into the 101 instructions but I hope everything is making sense so far dude. Any q's just ask

awesome.. I'd love to see a diablo.
Old 29th July 2008, 13:51   #98
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

How long did it take for that company to reply to your email about purchasing both CTO and FX colour packs? I emailed this morning and still awaiting a relpy, i want them before the weekend.

Well let me know before you go back to the Ghetto so we can meet up please!
Old 29th July 2008, 15:47   #99
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
How long did it take for that company to reply to your email about purchasing both CTO and FX colour packs? I emailed this morning and still awaiting a relpy, i want them before the weekend.

Well let me know before you go back to the Ghetto so we can meet up please!
sure thing man... they replied the following day if im not mistaken and they arrived the following day from payment
Old 29th July 2008, 16:32   #100
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Damn never mind want them by the weekend. Do you use any of the gels on the flash you use for hair light? Not used a hair light before not too sure whether to use one or not on thursday.