Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 5th February 2009, 02:49   #41
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

the glass holders can take up 100kgs, and ive got 2.

this photoshop might explain my rig idea a bit better

several people have used those glass holders before, as seen in that thread link i posted about which has 90 pages on diy rigs lol or on flickr

this one is even more homemade than mine lol at least mine is all aluminum

the results

the tubing on mine is far strong than the car wash brush pole used in those pics, it is flanged at one end allowing part of the next length to slot over it, i am going to drill holes through the part where both poles come into contact and bolt them together to stop the tubes coming apart.

i contacted the seller of the tubing and even on full 20ft extension there is no flex in the pole as its used for a radio broadcasting mast which would carry a heavy ariel on top. also although the cars appear to be doing like 60 mph they are only doing walking speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 08:23   #42
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

If you are mounting it from below the car then you could add like a foot long curved sort of dish attached to below the camera mounting point so if any mishaps happeneds the camera wouldnt take the brunt.... If you were worried about that.

Wouldnt be too hard to figure out something similar for the roof mounted ones either i suppose.

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:21   #43
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

thats not a bad idea mate, one advantage of the undercar rig is that the camera is only a few inches of the ground so is not nearly as bad as it being on the roof

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 12:48   #44
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

you looked at screw fix suckers jim, they do 4 x 115mm pads for £8.

Old 5th February 2009, 13:17   #45
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

i got 2x dual suckers rather than quad suckers as they are quite big and the quad would need a larger flat surface,

the ones i got are aluminium too rather than plastic

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 13:26   #46
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

ahh yer didnt think about the surface area
Old 5th February 2009, 13:47   #47
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

no worries cheers for looking, hopefully my rig idea will work, just got to wait for all the bit to turn up to test it.

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 16:48   #48
don55
Established Member

well you got me going on it now jim, ive jsut been out and got 2 2way suckers like you showed and a 3m telescopic paint roller boom.

if it goes well ill invest in some proper poles but this should do for now

are you looking at running some cable/wire/rope etc up and over to suport it
Old 5th February 2009, 17:29   #49
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

awesome lol glad to be of assistance, let me know how you get on. what are you using to clamp the poles to the suction mounts

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 17:38   #50
don55
Established Member

exhaust style U clamps

then gona tape and cable tie the top of my tripod to the other end
Old 5th February 2009, 17:44   #51
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

proper diy style lol, are you going to run the handle of the suction mounts and the tubes in parallel then or have the tube crossing over the handle (at a right angle)

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 17:55   #52
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

just to give you something to aim for this was put up on that rig thread a few days ago (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=490505 its definately worth a look to get some ideas)

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 18:00   #53
andyjos91
Established Member
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): 106 quiksilver
andyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to beholdandyjos91 is a splendid one to behold

Im going to have to keep my eye on this thread see how you all get on with it you even got me a little tempted. here are a few pics i found on another site ive also asked for pics of the rig used so ill post them here when i get a reply

andyjos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 18:04   #54
don55
Established Member

well i wanted them to be at 90 degs, but its alot easier to to them inline.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:05   #55
don55
Established Member

ok ive made mine

i drilled two 8mm holes in the boom

then drilled holes in each handle, straight down

bolted the boom to the handles, its good as they twist a little, you can have more freedom to place them.

i then drilled 4 more holes up the boom, for different placements.

only thing is, its unstable as fook at the end, the calmps are rock solid, i think its the fact that the boom is telescopic and gets thinner

pics coming
Old 5th February 2009, 19:10   #56
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

nice one mate, are you doing one like the one on the bonnet of the bmw, you could try using some wire from the end of the pole and trapping it in the door or round the wing mirror etc you want it tight so it pulls the pole in one direction eliminating the flex

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 19:12   #57
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Yeh stability issues would have been expected using one of those boom things, The rigidity of the pole will be toughest hurdle i think.

Old 5th February 2009, 19:13   #58
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

yeah i just hope the aluminium tubing (mast) i have order will be ok

Quote:
Old 5th February 2009, 19:30   #59
don55
Established Member

ok that pole i have is totaly useless

its wobbles and i jsut mounted the camera to the end lol, it nearly boke and is not very suitable.

im going to metal supermarket 2moz, im gona get a 3m 2.5" ali pole, ill sort "sectioning" it later. might leave it as a whole
Old 6th February 2009, 00:24   #60
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Idealy its better as a whole, transport is the main issue with that though.

The masts Jim has picked should be a happy medium though. Thick & light enough to hold the camera & attach with the suction cups. As long as you can find a decent way to secure the joints i think thats the best kit.