Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 17th March 2009, 23:05   #81
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

I guess ill be keeping the 400D then
Old 17th March 2009, 23:07   #82
don55
Established Member

Car(s): Super stripped VTS transit camper iveco work hor
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

oh right, well yer thats a great setup, but from what he was saying i think he was after a wider angled lens.

the sigma or tamron 17/18-50 2.8 would be a great option, even with a 2x possibly.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:10   #83
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Is there a better lens that has similiar range to the 17-85mm? as i quite like the range on that. 24-105L any good?

I think that would suit me, then in the far future a 70-200L(or siggy 2.8). So i'd have good range coverage.

Last edited by mattchewone; 17th March 2009 at 23:13.
mattchewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 23:16   #84
don55
Established Member

don55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to beholddon55 is a splendid one to behold

there are loads but it depends what you want to spend.

also do you want fixed aperture

Last edited by don55; 17th March 2009 at 23:19.
don55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 23:19   #85
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

I suspect you would love the sigma 18-50 as you are used to the shitty rotating barrel on AF with the 70-300.

Nice sharp lens, just that fucks off most people lol
Old 17th March 2009, 23:21   #86
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Well it wont be for a good 6months. Wouldnt really want to spend much more than £700/£800 tbh preferably alot less really.

I have a strange feeling that im going to regret not getting the 40D, and if i do get it i might end up regretting getting it.

On a side note, im planning on putting flooring in my loft and setting up my studio lights to take some portraits of friends and family. Quite excited. Think ill be using me nifty for it.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:25   #87
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I suspect you would love the sigma 18-50 as you are used to the shitty rotating barrel on AF with the 70-300.

Im not that keen on that range, its not enough for me. When i go out i end up changing lenses alot and it pisses me off. I might want to take a pic of my mate and his gf and i'd have the 70-300 on so id need to be back really far or swap lens. Then i'd want to take a picture of something far away as we continue walking so i'd need to change again. Grrrrr

So something thats fairly wide and will zoom to something reasonable.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:25   #88
don55
Established Member

Quote:

what you mean "fucks off most people" ?

i cant vouch for the sigma, but my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II is great. i know of one for sale for £200 also, if you are interested.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:27   #89
don55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchewone View Post
Im not that keen on that range, its not enough for me. When i go out i end up changing lenses alot and it pisses me off. I might want to take a pic of my mate and his gf and i'd have the 70-300 on so id need to be back really far or swap lens. Then i'd want to take a picture of something far away as we continue walking so i'd need to change again. Grrrrr
welcome to DSLR photography lol
Old 17th March 2009, 23:27   #90
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by don55 View Post

i cant vouch for the sigma, but my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II is great. i know of one for sale for £200 also, if you are interested.
I think he means that the lens moves when AF'ing rather than with the L lenses the focus internally so nothing moves.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:29   #91
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
When you AF most decent lenses the system rotates internally, not the sigma, you get a nice bigh whine from the noisy motor and the actual barrel of the lens rotates.

It ruins a good piece of glass for me.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:31   #92
don55
Established Member

oh you mean on the 70-300 sig, surely the 18-50 in inner focus, my tamron is.
Old 17th March 2009, 23:33   #93
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Do you reckon its worth trading in my 400D for a 40D???
yes.. less noise at high ISO... iso3200 as well (which is useable unlike any of the models below it) Liveview, 6.5fps shutter speed, 100,000 cycle shutter actuation. HHUUUGGE buffer, better image processing (has a processor off the 1dMkIII albeit just one as opposed to two on the mkIII). but most importantly... much better AF algorithms and cross AF sensors at f/2.8.

Worth exhanging for your 400D??? no... but it depends on the price? less than £100 I'd say yes. But get the body only. As said the kit lens is a pile of dog ass.

Quote:
Hmm i dont know what to do lol.

I think i just like the idea of having a new bigger camera.
that's 100% the wrong reason to upgrade the body... get a battery grip for the 400D... it balances the camera better, makes the camera feels better. The the best addition to the body itself you can do.

Quote:
sigma 70-300mm is not a great lens, so if you are having troubles its prob that.
It's actually not a bad lens, the af although noisey it's pretty accurate and it's pretty sharp wide open at 300mm... it's let down by the yellow colour cast and the af being pretty slow. But as versility goes, 1:2 macro and decent quality Telezoom with a £130 budget. it's bloody excellent.

Quote:
Spend the money on top notch glass which will serve you better. The 40D is out of date now anyway, where as a lens doesnt get outdated as often as a body
I wouldn't say out of date, more there are more update models available now. But the last part is correct as the saying goes 'Lens last a lifetime, bodies come and go' some camera nerd told me that - but he's right.

Quote:
Sayers 10D is really out of date in comparrison to the 400D even. (he doesnt have a 30D just the 40D and his 10D).
And the 10D still holds it's own in terms of build quality (it's a tank fucking solid thing, wish my 40D was as robust), 200,000 actuations (rated at 50,000 lol) and it's still going. Colour reproduction kicks ass out of everything bar the 1dmkIIn and above. canon went backwards since with the xxD range after that.

Quote:
a body cant help create a larger aperture to get a faster speed, but a nice new lens can.
Large apertures rock (provided they aren't soft as a puppy crap at that aperture). But as said above dude if the ISO range is more useable you're still able to bump the shutter speed up as a result

Quote:
Lenses to be recommended that are not ridiculous prices.
Defo what brad said... the tamron 17-whatever it is f/2.8 is excellent had a play on a mates who was doing a band shoot... it's really really good.

but telezooms you're going to have to blow a significant chunk of gold to get something even remotely good. F/4 as a minimum tbh

Quote:
The only reason is if i dont do the exchange soon ill have to sell my body and purchase the 40D at full price. Where as if it gets done soon ill only be paying a smaller amount
I dont understand. How much will you get from giving back the 400D and how much will you have to pay to get the 40D, full prices, not some made up jizz...

Quote:
So i should never need to upgrade the body at all then?

Why is it people buy the xxD's and not the xxxD's then? If the older ones are just as good and cheaper why do people buy the newer ones?

Man its a confusing market!
xxD's are the best version of the 1.6x crop that you can get, before you go into the realms of 1.3x and FF sensors... that's why a lot opt for the xxD series. Again, ISO, processing, AF, features and better on these models

Quote:
yer and its still cheaper than the F4L, the IS F4Lis like £800 right ?
thank foooook i didn't pay £800 for it.

Quote:
yes, although prob more expensive now due to the shit £ rate atm.

My 70-200 2.8 IS L has gone up about £200 iirc in the last few months. The sigma 120-300 has shot through the roof.
don't remind me.

Quote:
espec when look at the price of a new 40D without your trade in?

think about the money you ARE loosing!

If you wanted twin bodies then buy one, but dont trade yours in and then pay ontop what could nearly get a new one outright.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod576.html
Matt, i doubt the 40D second hand are going to low in price due to the hiiiiiigh price of the 50D (it's almost in it's own pricing league compared to 20D, 30D and 40D models). but it might be worth exploring...

Quote:
Don, i shoot a most stuff outside when im out with friends etc so i'd need something thats fairly wide and has a reasonable zoom.

I sometimes do portraits although since christmas and moving ive not really done a lot.
Tamron or Sigma's 24-70 f/2.8 Macro.. not the non macro version.

Quote:
im well confused
same man

Quote:
Surely it would be better to go for the IS version if i was to go for it, no?
it's a smidge sharper than the non-is one. but no one will ever really notice. the 70-200 F4L (IS) are canon's sharpest Zoom available. the IS is 4-5 stop so it's bladddy good, but i think IS is overrated tbh for most applications - especially for the price.

Quote:
Is there a better lens that has similiar range to the 17-85mm? as i quite like the range on that. 24-105L any good?

I think that would suit me, then in the far future a 70-200L(or siggy 2.8). So i'd have good range coverage.
24-105L is pants. how the fuck that can be called an L glass I'll never know.

Hope that helps!

ads
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 23:33   #94
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
oh you mean on the 70-300 sig, surely the 18-50 in inner focus, my tamron is.
Nope, It was a bitter dissapointment when i got it that an expensive piece of glass focused like a cheap piece of shit.

I cant stand the body rotating when i have my hand on the lens it just bugs me. Internal FTW
Old 17th March 2009, 23:34   #95
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:

who's selling mate... sayerboy is interesteddddd
Old 17th March 2009, 23:40   #96
don55
Established Member

here ads
Old 18th March 2009, 08:26   #97
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

Sayer - i was only going to get the 40D+kit lens as at work thats the only one we sell. I would be doing the exchange at work.

Can i ask, if i waws to upgrade glass now, When would i find the need to upgrade body? Or is there never a need to upgrade?
Old 18th March 2009, 08:33   #98
don55
Established Member

you should upgrade when YOU are finding limitations in the cameras abilities
Old 18th March 2009, 09:29   #99
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
you should upgrade when YOU are finding limitations in the cameras abilities
Exactly. But that's not to be confused with your own ability or techniques. If you're doing portrait you don't need the low noise at high ISO as you'll only ever use iso100 or 200 (400 absolute max). You don't need lightning quick AF in that situation either. Or high shutter speed.

What's the difference in cost then?
Old 18th March 2009, 11:05   #100
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore

I paid £413.90, 40D costs - £764.10

So i cost to me of - £350.20

Thanks for the help so far! Sayer you attending the Brighton meet April 5th?