Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 26th February 2015, 18:00   #1
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road
Default NAT Type

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me with an issue regarding my internet/Xbox one.

Basically, my NAT type has always been set to strict or moderate and I have no idea how to change it to open. It means that I can play online but it's shit - won't join specific games and sometime doesnt work full stop.

I understand it's something to do with the IP address but that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

Anyone help?
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 19:08   #2
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/11931

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
Old 27th February 2015, 08:34   #3
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Cheers I think I sorted a different way now though - through adding it to DMZ.
We'll see if it stays open..
Old 27th February 2015, 09:06   #4
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

jtag it m8 wil be sik
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 09:16   #5
holdawayt
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Nissan 200sx S14a
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
holdawayt is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue but because I'm still living with parents I have no control over how it all works. Plus computers confuse the hell out of me so even with a well written guide I'm stuffed. m
Old 27th February 2015, 10:09   #6
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdawayt View Post
I have the same issue but because I'm still living with parents I have no control over how it all works. Plus computers confuse the hell out of me so even with a well written guide I'm stuffed. m
I was the same, I haven't got a single clue about computers but I think I managed to sort it.
I rang BT and after being passed through to 3 different departments I got through to an english person, however they said they'd charge us if they gave me any advice that fixed the problem So I asked what he can tell me for free.
Thats when he told me about this DMZ thing, which from what he said is like an unrestricted but unprotected channel off your router (so you wouldn't enable DMZ on your laptop for example), of which you can only have one device. You go into your router settings in your browser and select your DMZ as your Xbox. So far it seems to have sorted it.

That's how I understood it anyway, but I wouldn't go off my advice as I might be wrong.
Old 27th February 2015, 22:27   #7
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

There will be plenty of idiot guides out there. Google your router and nat settings and there will be plenty of chat

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 4th March 2015, 15:36   #8
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

wouldnt put it in a DMZ just open the ports you want for the xbox. That or use some sort of UPNP depending on your router
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 15:58   #9
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
wouldnt put it in a DMZ just open the ports you want for the xbox. That or use some sort of UPNP depending on your router
I tried using a site recommended on the Xbox support website to open a new port - I went through all the steps but it didn't work. Not sure if I did it properly.

Well it switched to open for a few days (still didn't seem to be working right though) and then it went back to moderate. And since then the internet in general has been on getting slower and slower by the day and then it gave up and the router is flashing red. BT say its a problem at our end (as usual) so we've been resetting it constantly for the last few days but it still won't work.

Unsure if its related to my Xbox fiddling but its driving us crazy.
Old 4th March 2015, 21:58   #10
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

For DMZ to work you need to make sure your xbox IP address is set to static, DMZ points to a specific IP and if the address on your xbox changes (because DHCP is enabled) then DMZ will point to the wrong place.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 10:33   #11
holdawayt
Saxperience Post Whore

Thankfully I bypassed the DMZ by using DMX and his OG portal into the DHUP server. Initially it was slow to respond to my 1.0006.5475 request but after studying the mainframe it soon became apparent what port I needed to utilize. Now my XB is running faultlessly with it's new IP and RPUH and I can finally play my FPRROG games without interruption from the SDWN error warning.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:02   #12
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
For DMZ to work you need to make sure your xbox IP address is set to static, DMZ points to a specific IP and if the address on your xbox changes (because DHCP is enabled) then DMZ will point to the wrong place.
Yep I think I fooked it up. Got BT coming tomorrow so I'm going to tell him what I've done/tried to do - then lock him in the house until we have internet back and my NAT type is open

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdawayt View Post
Thankfully I bypassed the DMZ by using DMX and his OG portal into the DHUP server. Initially it was slow to respond to my 1.0006.5475 request but after studying the mainframe it soon became apparent what port I needed to utilize. Now my XB is running faultlessly with it's new IP and RPUH and I can finally play my FPRROG games without interruption from the SDWN error warning.
I'm genuinely unsure if you are joking or if that is actually computer speak

Dat dmx portal tho.
Old 5th March 2015, 11:34   #13
Scottp
Administrator

Hes yankng your chain.

I dont think by attempting to open a port you will have borked your internet, you could do a factory reset on the route though to take it all back to how BT sent it

Old 5th March 2015, 11:59   #14
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

It shouldn't have stopped your internet working. I am surprised they are coming out to look at it tbh as it's internal. You may want to check if they are going to charge you as they generally do if it's internal.

You need to have DHCP enabled on your router.

Change you Xbox to Manual in network settings and set your Xbox as something like 192.168.1.100 (depending on the address range the router gives you) Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to your routers IP (probably 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1, again depending on address range).

Then go back to your router and point DMZ at the IP you specified in the above step.

Last edited by Brettles1986; 5th March 2015 at 12:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettles1986 For This Useful Post:
Old 5th March 2015, 12:00   #15
holdawayt
Saxperience Post Whore

Yeah sorry I was just making an example of how baffling computer speak can seem to someone like me haha
Old 5th March 2015, 12:02   #16
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Hes yankng your chain.

I dont think by attempting to open a port you will have borked your internet, you could do a factory reset on the route though to take it all back to how BT sent it
Thought so lol.

Well that's good to hear, as I thought it was probably my fault, however it did work as normal for a week or so after i fiddled with it before it stopped wotking. Didn't think of a factory reset to be honest but I think I'll just leave it alone until BT have had a look.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I won't have any more issues!

Edit: cheers brettles, I shall give that a go tonight. And yes they are charging us! (£130!!!) We need it sorting though and as you can tell I'm no good with computers.

Last edited by Jizanthapus; 5th March 2015 at 12:06.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:04   #17
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizanthapus View Post
Thought so lol.

Well that's good to hear, as I thought it was probably my fault, however it did work as normal for a week or so after i fiddled with it before it stopped wotking. Didn't think of a factory reset to be honest but I think I'll just leave it alone until BT have had a look.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I won't have any more issues!
The router could be faulty. TBH unless you have messed with the WAN settings on the router then you should not have problems with the router itself connecting to the exchange.
Old 5th March 2015, 17:28   #18
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
The router could be faulty. TBH unless you have messed with the WAN settings on the router then you should not have problems with the router itself connecting to the exchange.
That's true. Pretty sure I didn't alter anything to do with WAN.
I've just restored it to factory settings but doesn't look like its made much difference. I still need to turn it off and on again though.

Actually as I'm typing this it seems to work now, but its done it before and goes off after 5 mins.... Will update soon.

Also, can't find any settings to do with DHCP?
Old 5th March 2015, 17:45   #19
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

So now it works on laptops but not on our phones!

Better than no internet I suppose. Not bothered about my Xbox NAT type now, just want to get the internet working.
Old 5th March 2015, 17:53   #20
Scottp
Administrator

Check the firmware version against the latest published one on the home hub. Bt silently push updates out to them and they did so with my home hub 5 the other week and it completely fucked the wireless but wired was fine. They admitted as much in an email to me then the snuck out a firmware update.

Also login in to the hub and rescan the smart wireless