Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 17th May 2016, 19:12   #21
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
I will be going with the red oxide for primer i'm a bit suspicious of using hammerite again though as it seemed to just let moisture right through it last time I used it. Considering maybe using some POR 15 as it seems to have good reviews
I know,the thing is I would like to use paint that is suitable to use with a brush,I'm not looking for a perfect finish just good protection from rust,I know of other products that would be more suitable (Dynax-Ub is one of them) but they are all more of an underseal rubbery finish than just a plain top coat finish which is what I would like to go with.

I have a picture of the axle I'm refurbishing and just decided to go with 2 coats of "No Nonsense" red oxide primer,this is just 1 coat waiting for it to dry but it seems like a nice product,still unsure on what to use after:

VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 19:21   #22
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I will be going with the red oxide for primer i'm a bit suspicious of using hammerite again though as it seemed to just let moisture right through it last time I used it. Considering maybe using some POR 15 as it seems to have good reviews
If you're just going to protect the boot floor I would just use 2 coats of red oxide and 2 of Dynax-Ub,the Hamber product is pretty good stuff and should protect from rust pretty well and it's designed to resist debris and stuff thrown from the road.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 19:24   #23
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
I know,the thing is I would like to use paint that is suitable to use with a brush,I'm not looking for a perfect finish just good protection from rust,I know of other products that would be more suitable (Dynax-Ub is one of them) but they are all more of an underseal rubbery finish than just a plain top coat finish which is what I would like to go with.

I have a picture of the axle I'm refurbishing and just decided to go with 2 coats of "No Nonsense" red oxide primer,this is just 1 coat waiting for it to dry but it seems like a nice product,still unsure on what to use after:

Looks pretty good that does, yeah that's pretty much what I'm looking for aswell just something brush on that's going to leave a good solid finish, after all its underneath the car doesn't need to look amazing. I don't want to use rubberized coating either on the boot floor as I think there's a good chance it would end up trapping moisture between it since there are alot of tight corners and seams under there
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2016, 16:10   #24
SGregg
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Mk6 Golf GTD Saxo VTS Project Rally Car
SGregg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you use POR-15, don't get any one you, it's a bitch to get off skin and the brush will dry rock hard if you don't buy the proper brush cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Put a photo of yourself up so we can all recognise you when you are on police interceptors or traffic cops
SGregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 15:25   #25
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

the biggest problem with underseal is people apply it too thick.... it wont dry and will start to fall away after a few months..

using a compressor and a paint gun apply a thin coat
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 18:22   #26
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregg View Post
If you use POR-15, don't get any one you, it's a bitch to get off skin and the brush will dry rock hard if you don't buy the proper brush cleaner.
I have gone with the POR 15 for the underside of the boot but when doing a bit of research ive found people saying it should only be applied to bare metal/rust which is a bit of a bitch as it looks like I'm going to need to get every last bit of paint off, hopefully it will be worth all the work..
Old 30th May 2016, 20:15   #27
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Under seal is wank now has been for years. The best stuff now by a million miles is upol rapture.its a 2 pack spray on under body/truck bed coat can be applied smooth in a spray gun or textured using a stone chip gun, it's impossible to chip as it stays in a rubbery form. I used it on my civic just jet washed with a steam cleaner and some chemical guys orange degreaser then scotched with a red scotch with thinners to lubricate. Then just masked up the break lines fuel lines and tank then sprayed. It's also tintable so can make it match.
Old 31st May 2016, 20:43   #28
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
Under seal is wank now has been for years. The best stuff now by a million miles is upol rapture.its a 2 pack spray on under body/truck bed coat can be applied smooth in a spray gun or textured using a stone chip gun, it's impossible to chip as it stays in a rubbery form. I used it on my civic just jet washed with a steam cleaner and some chemical guys orange degreaser then scotched with a red scotch with thinners to lubricate. Then just masked up the break lines fuel lines and tank then sprayed. It's also tintable so can make it match.
Does look like good stuff, is it safe to be using 2 pack stuff without air fed breathing gear though?
Old 2nd July 2016, 20:13   #29
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Thought i'd update this to show some of you who may be interested, I've gone with the POR-15 for the boot floor, wire brushed, sanded and then sprayed with phosphoric acid before applying the POR-15 and this is how it came out i'm pretty very happy with it so far and it feels nice and smooth and seems to be a nice solid covering.

Ignore all the holes it hasn't been shot by a machine gun that's where I drilled all the spot welds out to remove the beams which were totally rotten.. will be welding some new pieces in when I get a chance and its not raining! next is to remove the fuel tank and do the same to that area

Last edited by Ben_SaxoForte; 2nd July 2016 at 20:16.