Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 18th April 2011, 08:15   #1
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road
Default Apple, Ipods, etc

Are so shit.

Does my head in.

I have Itunes on my computer purely for the visualisations, my girlfriend wanted some music of my computer, so I plugged it in etc.. In the process of syncing I think it either deleted her music or her apps or something because they weren't 'licensed' to my computer.. So apple control what you do with the product you paid for . Nice, Love being locked out my own hardware, then you have no option but to use itunes if you want to put music on your mp3 player ipod which you've bought from Apple. Whereas my phone, with double the capacity of her Ipod (16gb - 8gb) supports drag and drog, WMP sync, in fact any kind of media player, file type, none of this apple nonsense.. And that's a a phone, the ipod is meant to be a mp3 player.

So in summary - I'm glad I don't buy shitty apple products because I have my head screwed on and realise that you pay for fashion over function. This is why they have a like 2% share in the worlds OS market.

Last edited by Bound; 18th April 2011 at 17:20.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 15:55   #2
Brenz
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo Desire 1.1
Brenz is on a distinguished road

I agree with some of what you say but in fairness it makes sense and their system has got them where they are today.

To sync an iDevice properly you need to be logged in to an authorized computer for that iTunes account with the all files on iTunes to sync. Its basically to stop piracy which is important when you are selling the music. The record labels don't want one person buying a song and sharing it with all their mates from their phone and neither do Apple when they get a cut.

Not really sure why you brought up the bit about capacity seeing as iPod Touches have a capacity up to 64GB. It just depends what capacity you decide to go for.

And your last statement about OS your talking about MacOSX which is for Apple computers and has a 7% market share worldwide. This is a lot different compared to their Mobile OS Market share which stands at 24% and only beaten by SymbianOS which has 30%.
Brenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 16:20   #3
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

Aye, the capacity argument was weak, it was just an example.

What irritates me more is their fashion over function mentality. Their devices are outdated and locked down but sell because they are fashionable, anyone that knows their technology will tell you a HTC andiod in terms of customisation and hardware blows the iphone away. It is astounds me why apple refuse to let you do what you want with hardware you own. If it's mine I want to do what I want with it without interference. The thing is it doesn't stop piracy.. You can still download songs and load them up into your library you just can't sync it to anyone elses. This is talking of Ipod touches of course which is meant to be a dedicated MP3 player, but it has less options than my phone .

As far as the Iphone goes, I'd rather wait for this years dual/quad core phones that will actually let me modify the operating system to my needs, install, and play what I want. Lack of Java is irritating (don't know if they've updated it to included that now? - desperately needed). Now the Ipad is a even bigger joke, it is a toy and nothing more, it's paying a premium for a terrible laptop. In my opinion the touch screen and the stylish menus/navigation sells it for apple. As well as a fancy case and the brand. For the price of an Ipad you could have a laptop which you could do absoutley anything with at any time, whereas with the Ipad.. you can't.

Apple fanboyism does my head in.

None of the above was leveled at you Brenz, I'm not accusing you of anything, these are my general feelings.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:27   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Im not a massive fan of apple even though I do own products of theirs.

There is a lot of it based around fashion as said, but then so is everything. A lot of the girls who buy am iPhone for example won't care about if the software is able to be unlocked and coded differently etc. That's a very small percentage of the Market in the sector apple seem to target.

I've got an iMac, seems to out perform every pc I've ever had and software has been more stable. The one thing I would say is you do pay more for one by a long way, but then you also have something which retains value better (look at the price of used oc vs mac).

iPads, ive got one, it's nothing on a good laptop. But then it's not meant to be one, it's a massive misconception that when they were launched they were a desktop and laptop replacement. There are things it does well (much better than a laptop) and due to it's size and weight is a fantastic tool to carry in a bag when you need to keep weight down. Of course it won't do the same as a mbp, but then not everyone wants to sit with a cumbersome laptop on their train journey to work every day, have one in the bag on location, or down by the sofa for when they want to browse the web on the fly. I see a lot of education benefits long term too if I'm honest with the interactive element. I too laughed when they were launched.

Last edited by Ryan; 18th April 2011 at 16:29.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 16:52   #5
Brenz
Regular Poster

They do restrict them horribly and that is frustrating sometimes but like Ryan said Apples target market isn't the tech savvy who want to go loading custom Boot ROMs, OCing and seeing what they can do with their phone. Apple have a product that works, is stable, receives regular updates and can be relied on.

But then look at the other side with Andriod. I have a mate who loves customizing the OS and overclocking but then near enough every week he is restoring his phone or he has managed to drain his entire battery in a few hours.

I think people are beginning to expect too much from their mobiles. They always want something that has a bigger screen, faster CPU, more memory and better graphics. All of this is possible and the speed in which we are progressing in these fields is incredible BUT all these things require power and we have hardly progressed in that area especially for small devices which has lead to a line of new mobiles that are so powerful their battery life is restricted.

Apple are very different in the way they manage their iOS and eventually they may have no choice but to change. Within a year Android will likely become the dominant Mobile OS and if Google can fix the problems with Fragmentation and take back control of the OS it will so much better than iOS but until then I think I will stick with iOS and a Jaibreak.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:01   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
Within a year Android will likely become the dominant Mobile OS and if Google can fix the problems with Fragmentation and take back control of the OS it will so much better than iOS but until then I think I will stick with iOS and a Jaibreak.
Windows mobile has potential to rapidly grow Market share now they are working with nokia. It's an interesting year or so ahead
Old 18th April 2011, 17:15   #7
Brenz
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Windows mobile has potential to rapidly grow Market share now they are working with nokia. It's an interesting year or so ahead
There is definitely potential there but they need to tread carefully.

Bricking phones during updates is a big problem and isn't going to help consumers trust the OS. But apart from that it has all the makings of a good OS and with Nokia on-board they could gain a large slice of the market.

One thing confuses me though. They have gone for Over the air updates like Android even though one of the common complaints is waiting for the update to get to you. Microsoft are a software company and everything is there to build a decent application on Windows to download updates and manage the device but they haven't done anything. Maybe we will have to wait till Windows 8 to see if they have anything planned. Leaks have already shown an App Store in Windows 8 so maybe we will see a multi-os app store and syncing and updates for WP7 built in to the OS and downloaded along with standard windows updates. Now that would be very interesting.