Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Newbies Forum...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Newbies Forum... This is a place for new members to pop in and say Hi... Don't be shy.

Old 15th December 2014, 22:06   #1
dhullu

dhullu is on a distinguished road
Default Saxo 1.5d cambelt timimg belt noises after cambelt replacement

Hello.
I had a garage change just the cam belt,
Now the car makes belt noises when it first starts for 5 odd minutes,
The noise stops but returns randomly, its a annoying belt noise that attracts attention when i am driving down the street (quite annoying and embarrasing).

The garage want to charge me more money and replace the cambelt tensioner pulley.

Does any one know if this noise is related to the tensioner needing replacing?

The garage that changed the cambelt said maybe the the size of the cambelt is not compatible with my saxo? Is there not only one size cambelt size for my saxo 1.5d 2003.

Any help would be grateful.
dhullu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 22:22   #2
sexysaxo_dan
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen Saxo Furio 1.4l
sexysaxo_dan is on a distinguished road

if by size you mean length... you'd know about it. does sound bait iffy though, perhaps you should go back and query.

without actually being able to listen to what the noise is myself its impossible to tell what it is but when pulley start to go they do tend to make a lot of noise. just saying by the way I'm a semi skilled mechanic (still in training) and in my personal opinion, if your going to change the cam belt then you may as well change the tensioner too.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:29   #3
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhullu View Post
Hello.
I had a garage change just the cam belt,
Now the car makes belt noises when it first starts for 5 odd minutes,
The noise stops but returns randomly, its a annoying belt noise that attracts attention when i am driving down the street (quite annoying and embarrasing).

The garage want to charge me more money and replace the cambelt tensioner pulley.

Does any one know if this noise is related to the tensioner needing replacing?

The garage that changed the cambelt said maybe the the size of the cambelt is not compatible with my saxo? Is there not only one size cambelt size for my saxo 1.5d 2003.

Any help would be grateful.
If it's the tensioner, it'll sound like grinding constantly or at certain rpms. a bit like a worn wheel bearing.

The timing MUST be done very carefully on these engines, they've probably not timed it correctly anyway.

also, the belt on 1.5d must be pre tensioned, loosened then tensioned again. Otherwise, the belt becomes slack.

You should always replace the belt with tensioners at the same time.

Do check it's not the alternator belt that is slipping.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:47   #4
dhullu

dhullu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
If it's the tensioner, it'll sound like grinding constantly or at certain rpms. a bit like a worn wheel bearing.

The timing MUST be done very carefully on these engines, they've probably not timed it correctly anyway.

also, the belt on 1.5d must be pre tensioned, loosened then tensioned again. Otherwise, the belt becomes slack.

You should always replace the belt with tensioners at the same time.

Do check it's not the alternator belt that is slipping.
Thank you for a quick response.
Will look into the alternator belt before anything else.
I am thinking about doing it my self because the garage cheesed me off i payed them to fix the noise but it still exists and now the garage wana charge me 200 more to fix the same problem.

The bit i am worried about is the tensioning of the cambelt, can it be done manualy or do i need to purchase a special tool to doit, i have seen videos where people make marks around the cambelt area using tipex etc to determine the tension of the cambelt. You said its important to get the timimg exactly right on these saxo.
dhullu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 17:33   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhullu View Post
Thank you for a quick response.
Will look into the alternator belt before anything else.
I am thinking about doing it my self because the garage cheesed me off i payed them to fix the noise but it still exists and now the garage wana charge me 200 more to fix the same problem.

The bit i am worried about is the tensioning of the cambelt, can it be done manualy or do i need to purchase a special tool to doit, i have seen videos where people make marks around the cambelt area using tipex etc to determine the tension of the cambelt. You said its important to get the timimg exactly right on these saxo.
Nono, tensioning is the easy bit, just do it by hand. No more then 45 degree twist on the longest run. i.e the belt between the pump and the cam.

If you like, I can send you the Peugeot Guide for the 1.5d engine for you to have a look at?