Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 16th July 2007, 20:35   #1
2000vtr
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
2000vtr is infamous around these parts2000vtr is infamous around these parts
Default FAO supercharger people

You lot whos owned or know of any body who's owned a vtr with a supercharger - rotrex

im just woundering if when you/they had it all set up did you just use double head gasket or if you did go to forged, did you just go for pistons, or was it pistons and rods

if you went with just forged pistons what would sort of boost would you be able to run? or what bhp would you be safe creating with just forged pistons, not rods and pistons
2000vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 20:39   #2
Sean
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Green mk1 vtr/s and Focus zetec
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!Sean is absolutely fabulous!

Not heard of any issues with running standard rods? Personally i'd go for forgies, if you're gonna do it then do it properly, it's anybody's guess how long it'd be before standard pistons melt even with the reduced compression of the double head gasket. The amount of boost you could run would depend on size of the charger and the pulley, not to mention fuelling and cooling. Speak to GMC mate

Last edited by Sean; 16th July 2007 at 20:43.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 21:08   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

as sean says, id personally go for forgies, it allows alot more room for bigger boost and more power further down the line, and makes for a stronger engine.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:53   #4
2000vtr
Regular Poster

Thats were i'm currently looking, john kinda put me of the sent of throttle bodies , ported heads ect as it doesnt give that big a gain...
so ive looked at the kit and will pick out the charger with the belt which comes to around 2k inc vat

4 larger injectors is about 150 iirc from what he said and the kms + wideband is just over 1 k with a custom loom inc vat

universal pipes and universal intercooler around 180 brand new, but brill but they'll do... and i'll get a larger rad from a scrappi, say i want 150 max 160 would i get away with just pistons
Old 16th July 2007, 21:54   #5
2000vtr
Regular Poster

also will a cam benefit from any of this or isnt it worth the cash for the extra few bhp? unless i go for 285r piper cam?

cheers for the replys so far
Old 16th July 2007, 21:57   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

not sure if you can boost on the 285, due to blow by, something ud need to speak to a boost spethalist about

std rods are fine, martin was using them irc for a while (may have been shot peened)

thats something PM marting from tweeqed he may be able to sort the parts for you.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:06   #7
2000vtr
Regular Poster

whats his username please?
Old 16th July 2007, 23:05   #8
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

tweeqed irc.

he has the axvtrturbo
Old 17th July 2007, 02:16   #9
boz
Saxperience Post Whore

Location: somewhere on this planet, doing something..... around northumberland or in the middle of the sea
Car(s): Mk2 VTS track mk1 turbo vts scooby engined 2CV
boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!

if you are serious and have the cash, i would go for forged pistons, get the biggest charger you can, intercooler, you can use a 106/saxo deisel radiator and header tank as it is bigger and copper cored, bigger injectors, kms or similar with wideband, btb manifold and system, cams wise i would have a chat with cat cams, they can do you a custom cam that will avoid blow by and still give you an increase in power, you will also need a twin plate clutch, atb diff, bigger discs and calipers.
its all down to how much you want to spend really, you will need it all set up properly too.

make sure you have a big fire extinguisher too, lol dont want it catching fire like mine did after spending a mint on it lol
Old 17th July 2007, 02:17   #10
boz
Saxperience Post Whore

Location: somewhere on this planet, doing something..... around northumberland or in the middle of the sea
boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!boz is absolutely fabulous!

never herd of any problems with rods?
shouldnt be a problem using standard, if you have the cash to spend 1k on pistons and rods, go for it (will give you peace of mind).
Old 17th July 2007, 06:47   #11
2000vtr
Regular Poster

i dont really but if they would be needed...

pistons / rods - 1k.

new water / oil pump + cambelt + all new bolts seals bearings ect - price?? probaly a good few quid lol.

clutch. there like nearly 600 quid? surely theres something cheaper about

atb diff - not sure of price but i bet it isnt cheap
Old 17th July 2007, 13:57   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

atb diff is 550+ fitting to box.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:22   #13
2000vtr
Regular Poster

cheers

got 3k which will be used to start me off with finding rent my own place with the gf .

getting some koni shocks, a full kit actualy - oil cooler and oil relocater - forged pistons and rods - helix clutch - camshaft.

then on my next large sum of cash is going to be makeing the gearbox good
Old 17th July 2007, 15:41   #14
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

suspension id not get koni and speak to kam about groupN billies.
Old 17th July 2007, 18:02   #15
2000vtr
Regular Poster

whats wrong with koni, as ive already booked my car in now
Old 17th July 2007, 22:29   #16
boz
Saxperience Post Whore

billies are way better matey

i have a twin plate ap racing clutch in mine and its very harsh, takes some getting used to, its either on or off.

helix twin plate is supost to be a tad better. but i wouldnt go for anything else to be honest.
i wouldnt bother with the rods mate, if you are stripping the motor a fitting new crank bearings etc, i would just get the O/E rods shot peened matey. save yourself £500

defo get a bigger set of front discs and calipers, best thing i ever got for the car, apart from the charger of coarse lol
Old 17th July 2007, 22:44   #17
2000vtr
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
billies are way better matey

i have a twin plate ap racing clutch in mine and its very harsh, takes some getting used to, its either on or off.

helix twin plate is supost to be a tad better. but i wouldnt go for anything else to be honest.
i wouldnt bother with the rods mate, if you are stripping the motor a fitting new crank bearings etc, i would just get the O/E rods shot peened matey. save yourself £500

defo get a bigger set of front discs and calipers, best thing i ever got for the car, apart from the charger of coarse lol
its either standard pistons or forged, if standard will handle 150 to 160 bhp at the wheels ill just go for the pistons, did you use standard rods, also what doesshot peened mean
Old 18th July 2007, 07:02   #18
Sean84
Regular Poster

Car(s): Clio 172
Sean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the rough

i run Omega low comps with standard rods in my VTS.

Seeing 1 bar of boost from a 74 charger...runs fine with no probs as yet, near 2k covered since rebuild.

wouldnt go any bigger than an 84 charger, so whoever said get as big as possible is talking crap.

bear in mind that andyL's car is seeing 270bhp @ wheels on a 74 charger!!! so a 94 charger isnt really required. 84 is if you want high boost, over 1 bar.

As for twin headgasket, u can do this, i had my old setup on this, with standard pistons, good for 0.6 bar of boost...safe anyway, but then Somers ran 1.2 bar on std internals before and his was fine...but then how risky do you wanna be.

Shot peened changes the molecular structure of the material making it stonger therefore more resiliant to breaking under load.

If your gonna do the intercooler route too then do it properly, none of this diesel rad shit! get the GMC pace intercooler rad combo...its great and a stright fit
Sean84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 07:03   #19
Sean84
Regular Poster

Car(s): Clio 172
Sean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the roughSean84 is a jewel in the rough

Also AP racing clutch is far too harsh for normal road use...not only that but you'l run the risk of snapping clutch cables and bending clutch arms etc,

so go for a helix unit...ive ran two of these and both been spot on. i now see 230 bhp @ wheels and my cerametallic clutch is great
Sean84 is offline   Reply With Quote