Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 20th July 2007, 14:45   #21
djrem
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): Various.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!djrem is absolutely fabulous!

out of the factory saxos arent race cars though.
djrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 14:46   #22
Joesnow
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk 1 VTS poseidon blue
Joesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud of

What research project are you doing? I would have thought you’d be finished uni now unless you’re doing a masters?

I’m sure Toads pretty much got it spot on though… dont think its got much to do with inertia?... would get max acceleration when the wheels are on the verge of spinning (or the next best thing – slightly spinning, gripping, slightly spinning, griping…) which you could do by blipping the clutch or throttle

What I recon the simulator will have done is given the wheels the max possible torque so that the tyres are constantly on the verge of slipping and its worked out that its better to hold the revs up and slip the clutch slightly than to drop the revs. Or perhaps a perfect combination of the two?

What inputs did you put into the software?

Would have thought it would be pretty tricky to do a perfect start every time unless you’re the Stig… I’m sure that’s how launch control works? Put that data into a controller for the clutch and throttle along with a few other things like coefficients of friction between the tyres and road surface and you’re off!
Joesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 14:57   #23
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

I'm sure some of you have seen this clip before, but as we're on the subject...

This was done with older gearbox, but it's still a good example. 0 - 60 in roughly 5.5 seconds, no wheel spin, and fed the clutch in from about 3500 rpm. I'm sure if I tried a few more times, I could have got a better start, as this one bogs down a tad. Still...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=67x172c
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 15:05   #24
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesnow View Post
What research project are you doing? I would have thought you’d be finished uni now unless you’re doing a masters?

I’m sure Toads pretty much got it spot on though… dont think its got much to do with inertia?... would get max acceleration when the wheels are on the verge of spinning (or the next best thing – slightly spinning, gripping, slightly spinning, griping…) which you could do by blipping the clutch or throttle

What I recon the simulator will have done is given the wheels the max possible torque so that the tyres are constantly on the verge of slipping and its worked out that its better to hold the revs up and slip the clutch slightly than to drop the revs. Or perhaps a perfect combination of the two?

What inputs did you put into the software?

Would have thought it would be pretty tricky to do a perfect start every time unless you’re the Stig… I’m sure that’s how launch control works? Put that data into a controller for the clutch and throttle along with a few other things like coefficients of friction between the tyres and road surface and you’re off!
Yeah I'm doing masters man, although my research project is on Suspension Optimisation (Maximising Lateral Acceleration).
My friend is working on a new type of gearbox which I cant bang on about unfortunately, but what i can tell you is it'll be 'mazin' and will kick ass

We're using matlab, the car model is pretty damn complex to put it mildly.
The torque outputs from the engine were obtained across the rev range then interpolated by matlab using Lookup Tables... I doubt there is any problem with the simulator applying full torque to the wheels as there is calculations in place with the gearbox, flywheel, clutch etc, recognising the associated losses with each and the friction co-eff of the clutch plates, mass moment of inertia of the flywheel and every other component. whats happening as i understand, my friend has determined the clutch input over time and the throttle is wide open throughout (i believe)... I'll ask him when he comes in.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 17:21   #25
medz_vtrturbo
Established Member
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
medz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to allmedz_vtrturbo is a name known to all

if u slip theclutch, it wrecks it in the long run. and if u do wheelspins and full throttle starts it wrecks the driveshafts as well as the tyres. if u want fast accelleration just tune up the car coz u would probably spend more on fixing the car than tuning it.
medz_vtrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 17:46   #26
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

i am used to driving bike engined cars (westfields) and they have a "on/off" clutch so it makes launching very hard.the best way i find in that case is to rev it a bit more and get as little wheelspin as possible.