Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 9th September 2007, 13:48   #121
vtr130
Established Member

iTrader Score: -2 (0%)
vtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud of

I have no clue mate, im not to keen on gearboxs to be honest and the car will be used most days?? Would a quaife gearset be to harsh for the road?? I might be buying lewis vts box with an atb.
vtr130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 13:51   #122
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

quaife do a sunchromesh gearset, so id expect it to be fine for daily use.
ask ax racing, as he has first had experiences with a few different gearsets.
Old 9th September 2007, 13:55   #123
vtr130
Established Member

vtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud ofvtr130 has much to be proud of

Yeh i am seriously considering buying one of his boxes of him, if i can find a bit of spare cash

Its a Quaife 2.538, 1.765, 1.421, 1.190, 1.043 close ratio gear cluster built in to a late type Saxo MA box along with a Quaife ATB limited slip differential with a standard VTS final drive.

Can you explain tht to me??
Old 9th September 2007, 13:58   #124
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr130 View Post
Yeh i am seriously considering buying one of his boxes of him, if i can find a bit of spare cash

Its a Quaife 2.538, 1.765, 1.421, 1.190, 1.043 close ratio gear cluster built in to a late type Saxo MA box along with a Quaife ATB limited slip differential with a standard VTS final drive.

not really. only thing i can see is 1st looks nice and long. thene the rest are short to keep you in the powerband.
Old 9th September 2007, 14:08   #125
Joesnow
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk 1 VTS poseidon blue
Joesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtr130 View Post

This with your 9000rpm rev limit?

You might want look at getting a different final drive in there as you will be doing about 60mph in 1st @9000rpm and top out at about 144mph in 5th… depends what tires you’re using to?
Joesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 15:40   #126
vtr130
Established Member

60mph in first, quality 0-60 time
Old 9th September 2007, 17:47   #127
Joesnow
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Joesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud ofJoesnow has much to be proud of

Thing is how well will it pull to 60 in 1st? If you’re using it about town it will be a pain in the arse trying to do a hill start… 60mph for 1st is probably alright round a track when you get rolling but with that cluster it means that all the other gears are spaced out more too…

With a longer final drive it sort of misses the whole point of the close ratio box… with that much power you will probably have a very narrow power band and will need to keep it in the sweet spot by using closer gears and have a slower top speed

What rpms it going to idle at? Might find out you have to slip the clutch or spin the wheels just to get moving.

What sort of top speed are you after? I’ll recommend you a final drive for that box… you using bigger wheels/tires than standard to as that will have to be taken into account…
Old 9th September 2007, 19:05   #128
vtr130
Established Member

Cheers joe, well if you can tell me wot quaife gear set is best i will buy it

Im guessing the cams are going to be mainly based between 6-8.5k then im looking for about 130-140 top end as the nitrous may give me tht kind of terminal speed down the 1/4!!
Old 9th September 2007, 19:31   #129
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): toyata hilux
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

i presume all your answers for you will need will come when your car is running so you know where your power is etc?
Old 9th September 2007, 19:32   #130
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

should know where power is from the spec of the cams elliot
Old 9th September 2007, 20:01   #131
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!bullit is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
should know where power is from the spec of the cams elliot
more accurate though ryan lol
Old 9th September 2007, 20:10   #132
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit View Post
more accurate though ryan lol
not really. the cam spec will determine where the powerband will be. even adjusting the timing a tad on his wont shift the powerband a huge amount imo
Old 9th September 2007, 21:56   #133
leeroybrown
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Clio Trophy 025/500
leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
This with your 9000rpm rev limit?
Hope thats not on the standard lifters lol
leeroybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:58   #134
bullit
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroybrown View Post
Hope thats not on the standard lifters lol
its on solids leeroy
Old 9th September 2007, 22:00   #135
leeroybrown
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Clio Trophy 025/500
leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!leeroybrown is absolutely fabulous!

was going to say

Must be crazy doing it on standard ones

TBH i doubt it would make any power at those revs
leeroybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 00:26   #136
Joesnow
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

I was thinking of a speed more like 100-120mph lol… would be such a waste to have such a long final drive on a peaky n/a engine… you can get a higher top speed and still have the acceleration but you would need a 6 speed…

Anyone know any info about bics gearbox? Like what sort of speed can he do in 1st and 6th?I doubt his cars geared to do those sorts of speeds and that’s a 6 speed plus I bet he’s got more power on tap too…

It really depends how much you’ve got to spend!? You could try and find out how long the dog engagement sets last and weigh up if it’s worth it or not… that one you mentioned is the cheapest quaife set you can get and would be ace for the street and track if used with the correct final drive…

Quaife synchro close ratio @ 9000rpm & s1 rallye final drive

1st – 51mph
2nd – 74mph
3rd – 92mph
4th – 109mph
5th – 124mph

That would be better… doubt you will be able to top out in 5th over the ¼ and shouldn’t be too bad for on the roads…

If you’re going to be really competitive… get it set up on an engine dyno, which I’m sure bics done. Then you’ll know exactly where all the power is and you can work out exactly what ratios you need.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:26   #137
2000vtr
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
2000vtr is infamous around these parts2000vtr is infamous around these parts

how is it peope think throtte bodies are better than a turbo, turbos are forced air, throtte body isnt...." fancy air filter " that sounds good power gains is hardly nothing
2000vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2007, 02:06   #138
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000vtr View Post
" fancy air filter " that sounds good power gains is hardly nothing
lol

a highly tuned NA car will piss on a turbo car round a track, its not about showing off to your mates with your big dump valve init.

Tbs give you a different throttle response and power delivery, as well as meaning you can run wilder cams.

there is a limit to what cams you can run on a standard inlet, so its hardly a fancy airfilter
Old 10th September 2007, 02:10   #139
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

and to some of us driveability of the car is more important than saying to your mates... my car has 300bhp because its turbod.

it doesnt increase what god didnt bless you with
Old 10th September 2007, 15:00   #140
Ste
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!Ste is absolutely fabulous!

tbh i couldnt give a shit as a 1.6 engine is bollox and if i was building a show car id have it for a while.....i dont intend to run a 1.6 for longer than i have to.

If i was going to show a car it would have a 2.0 Twin Turbo engine. No ifs/Buts. It would have a silly sized turbo with a smaller quick spooling turbo. And it would be Japanese and RWD.

Its my opinion so nerrrrrrr