Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 26th August 2008, 22:05   #101
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

S13 Nissans are 1.8 and they regularly hit 350bhp with the GT28RS turbo and are only 1.8.

My 2litre S14a Nissan is 300bhp and I'm not trying really hard with it.

1.6 8valve RS Turbo's in the 90's were making over 300bhp....

Andy
luthor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 22:12   #102
reg_the_geza
L-plater

reg_the_geza is on a distinguished road

think he's done one now anyway lol

ffs you see reno 5 turbo's with over 300bhp, and they are 1.4 8v pushrod engines lol dnt think they last long mind LOL
reg_the_geza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 22:14   #103
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

nah he will be back soon, spouting more shite about TUs
Old 26th August 2008, 22:15   #104
katiescar
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr renault laguna v624v 3ltr manual
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
katiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to beholdkatiescar is a splendid one to behold

on that note rs200's were 1.8 and the e2 was approx 600!
pug 205 t16's were also in the 450 region! and that was 1985/86!
katiescar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 22:36   #105
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

BMW 1987 F1 Turbo

1500cc, 1350bhp in qualifying trim! 130psi boost FTW!

Andy
Old 26th August 2008, 23:15   #106
Dboyvts
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): supercharged vts, R324r gtr, Rb30 R32 gtr.
Dboyvts is just really niceDboyvts is just really niceDboyvts is just really niceDboyvts is just really niceDboyvts is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg_the_geza View Post
the power delivery cant be that much different in a s/c vts...... the more you rev the faster you go

tbh t/b's do sound the bollocks, but i think i will enjoy the whine from a rotex more tho
Sorry to disappoint you mate but the rotrex units dont whine but you do get the lovely sound of the "rattle snake"
Old 26th August 2008, 23:43   #107
Beans
L-plater

Car(s): Slammed 106 GTi
Beans will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
oh dear!!

How this thread has degenerated.
The simple fact is with the right amount of money you can get 300bhp.
Question is how much are you prepared to spend?
Rather than chasing power build a good balanced car with a budget in mind.

The bigger picture is that big power needs other areas looking at, from tyres, driveshafts to gearboxes and clutches.

Gearbox choice is often down to mechanical sympathy and how the car is driven. Sitting spinning wheels off the line puts massive stresses on the drivetrain.
Fancy gearboxes like Hewland sound great on paper but for a road car are unrealistic. Yes they are stronger but they need more looking after to keep them in tip top condition. You tend to not have a synchromech either so regular checking of the gear teeth is a must.

Where is the car going to be used? track or road or both? On track big bhp does not make you the fastest. Look at my 205 for example. BHP is going to be a mild 200ish bhp, but i've spent a fortune on suspension to make sure i can use that power to its maximum. Don't be obsessed with big figures to look good amongst the peers
All good points

Budget is whatever I need to spend to be happy with the car tbh, when the car is only going to be used realistically for dual carriageway bursts and the odd trip to Pod I think I'll be happy with Bilstein's and some decent springs.

Power figures don't really bother me, but anything less than 300bhp/tonne I find fairly boring.

Street driving it wouldn't be launched, but I'm sure the Pod trips would lunch it straight away. Rather than spend a fortune on a built Hewland box or similar I'd rather do a BE conversion for the sake of cost mainly, that and for the sake of a bit of extra reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor1 View Post
S13 Nissans are 1.8 and they regularly hit 350bhp with the GT28RS turbo and are only 1.8.

My 2litre S14a Nissan is 300bhp and I'm not trying really hard with it.

1.6 8valve RS Turbo's in the 90's were making over 300bhp....

Andy
Cheers for the chat tonight mate, good to meet you and throw some ideas about

Exactly my way of thinking, lesser engines have been making more power fairly reliably for years, there's no logical reason why a TU wouldn't do the same given the right bits (I'm fairly confident too that a lot of specs are overkill for their power), and the only reason there aren't more big power engines about is purely because people believe the rumors and internet chat... Looking about, the people that have decided to go utside the box have been rewarded with decent results.

Also the reason I've been taking info from a LOT of other engines, harder to take info from Hondas because they generally run high CR with a big turbo, by the time the turbo spools up the revs are quite high and the VE is starting to fall so the CR is less of a hinderence. That and the VTEC means wasted boost is just expelled when the cams overlap, something that can't be done too well on a TU. Lots of info to be had from the Renault (Clio 16v hybrid's and R5's) and Ford scene though.

I've nearly got the spec finished, just a case of sourcing parts and hopefully proving it now
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 04:28   #108
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

I see the VTS/GTI from Greece hasnt been mentioned, I believe 106turbo has been in touch with him and been told its running 400bhp. Cant be a TU engine if 300bhp isnt possible though can it. 8) Then as said there's Colins, and Shauns (which is being rebuilt in the aim for over 300bhp)

Had we better tell all these that its not possible to get over 300bhp, despite their RR readings stating well over, cause VTSJONNY said so?

Off topic, but Beans how come you're never on 106oc anymore, used to see your posts at this kinda time then you just stopped. lol.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 08:14   #109
Beans
L-plater

lol... Was working nights so on my days off I used to be up at random times (Though to be fair, I'm getting up at 6am these days but still not getting to bed before 2am), not living at home anymore and don't have much net access
Old 27th August 2008, 10:13   #110
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Nice to meet you guys last night Dan

I hope you liked seeing the Predator do it's stuff and generally got a feel for what we're up to!! I'm please the Saxo behaved itself, and it even managed a decent idle!! Amazing

Andy
Old 27th August 2008, 10:29   #111
reg_the_geza
L-plater

reg_the_geza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyvts View Post
Sorry to disappoint you mate but the rotrex units dont whine but you do get the lovely sound of the "rattle snake"
Yeah I know mate, was just a figure of speech. However I love the ‘pigeon’ sound they make when you take your foot off the throttle
reg_the_geza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:03   #112
Beans
L-plater

Quote:
Nice to meet you guys last night Dan

I hope you liked seeing the Predator do it's stuff and generally got a feel for what we're up to!! I'm please the Saxo behaved itself, and it even managed a decent idle!! Amazing

Andy
Good to see it in person, definitely ranking as the top option at the moment
Old 27th August 2008, 13:22   #113
MK2SLAG
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): le 2bhp le feet
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!MK2SLAG is absolutely fabulous!

sent you a pm beans,people on here seem to not have a clue wot they are talking about,register with ssc youl get more constructive answers than from here! ive had a car running similar power will get a chat to you about it mate
MK2SLAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:30   #114
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2SLAG View Post
sent you a pm beans,people on here seem to not have a clue wot they are talking about,register with ssc youl get more constructive answers than from here! ive had a car running similar power will get a chat to you about it mate
id say alot of advice in this thread says that members here do know what they are talking about, bar the odd fucktard.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:39   #115
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

I wonder if some people are actually meaning their comments as joking and are being taken seriously??

Andy
Old 27th August 2008, 13:46   #116
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2SLAG View Post
I'd post it on both. Both sites have members with good views on this subject. Rallye Reg also a smart move
Old 27th August 2008, 13:49   #117
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
I'd post it on both. Both sites have members with good views on this subject. Rallye Reg also a smart move
the fact sandy is now posting on both ssc/rallye reg is great for both sides, especially as him and john dont allways agree it gives some form of constructive debate at times.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:35   #118
Beans
L-plater

Good plan, used to love reading some of Sandy's long posts about various tech stuff
Old 27th August 2008, 17:29   #119
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

beans - MS has a progressive boost control feature on it iirc to eid traction. iirc it can also utilise traction control. ive seen plenty people use XS manifolds chopped to suit other cars aswell. but wouldnt really trust their turbos. i dont see why you would need 8 injectors either??
williamsvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 19:04   #120
snottybadger
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2000 VTS
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
snottybadger has a spectacular aura aboutsnottybadger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSJONNY View Post
the Z20LET Engine (2.0 16v turbo vauxhall engine) with the vxr turbo and spending thousands stuggles to get 300bhp so dont think a 1.6 would
Eh!? Thats weird because the older C20LET is easily tuned upto 300bhp. My mate built a Nova, added a few parts, Stage 2 chips, T3 etc (very few £££ spent on tuning) and had it RR'd at just over 300bhp. I know RR figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt but the same rollers had cars pulling stock bhp too.

Quote:
I wonder if some people are actually meaning their comments as joking and are being taken seriously??

Andy
You would hope so but I think they just like talking rhubarb.

As for chopping a Civic manifold are the port spacings anywhere near the same as a TU engine? I've chopped and welded a 200SX manifold for my mates C20LET and had no problems. Guess you've just got watch for clearence issues really.

Good luck with the build- look forward to seeing a progress thread.
snottybadger is offline   Reply With Quote