Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 8th July 2009, 00:28   #1
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v VTR + Nitrous
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
DusheR is on a distinguished road
Default Nitrous Oxide

Does anyone have Nitrous fitted? Ive always been interested in it. What size jets could be used on a VTS with breathing mods?

What other mods are needed apart from just the kit itself e.g. different spark plugs?

Could you just add another two solenoids and pipe work etc to convert a purge kit to a full system? Nitrous purging? or
Old 8th July 2009, 00:36   #2
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

i've got nitrous fitted, i run with a 50bhp jet in which is a number 100 in the nitrous and a number 50 for the fuel.

wizards of nos is the best kit to get from what i've read and seen, you do not need to purge either.

you need to uprate the clutch and the plugs are advised to be 1 grade colder but it doesn't really make any difference if you run normal plugs.
uprating your clutch is a must though due to the sudden and massive increase in torue. mine produced 80lbs/ft of torque on a 50bhp shot when it was last on the dyno.

you could run a 75bhp shot and i have been tempted to recently but you risk breaking something because everything will be put under more stress.

seriously look into it before buying nitrous though, if you've anymore questions, i'd be happy to answer them.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddison_vts For This Useful Post:
Old 8th July 2009, 00:40   #3
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

speak to martin from tweeqd.

He used/does sell nos and runs it on his AX turbo toy so has alot of info
Old 8th July 2009, 00:46   #4
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Really helpful thanks. Im currently always looking for second hand sets but I came accross a pulge kit cheap new. Just wondering how much it would cost to add the other two solenoids and jets? Worth getting a progressive controller?
Old 8th July 2009, 00:47   #5
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

https://secure.demonweb.co.uk/earls1...1dc07b373e9e14

Purge kit
Old 8th July 2009, 00:58   #6
maddison_vts
Established Member

with that you would have to get nos solenoids or possibly another american companies solenoids that will fit. plus you'll need to wire in a throttle switch or a steering wheel switch and you'll have to get the t piece for the fuel line and extra pipes for fuel and possibly longer lines for the nitrous. will probably end up being the same price as full kit anyway.

i would personally get a full second kit thats made by wizards of nos if you want to do it on the cheap, due to them being british its easy to get spare parts, help and advice.

progressive controllers are more money again, it depends how far you want to go. i personally never bothered with one as i got a stand alone ecu which has nitrous control, but i've never bothered getting it wired in to the ecu either
Old 8th July 2009, 01:05   #7
maddison_vts
Established Member

just thought i'd add, the general rule when using nitrous is to go up to a shot thats 50% of the original hp.

eg. a car running 100bhp standard can take up to a 50bhp shot.

so a vts would be a 60bhp shot.

this doesn't mean you can't go above this, its just a general rule, will be slightly different on all cars.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:21   #8
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): supercharged vts. 1.1 saxo. accord type r
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
adzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these parts

dont go above a 75 shot without internal changes, and if you really want biger shots think about an alloy intake, the plastic one isnt up to the job, as maddison said uprated clutch is a defo. i 2 have nitrous now only running a 50 shot and this is plent for such a little car, tried 150 lol and all hell broke loose. (rebuild) new c2 vts intake on way.
your car wipes mine out , any day . looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
lady charger ftw in this case
adzvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 16:32   #9
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
with that you would have to get nos solenoids or possibly another american companies solenoids that will fit. plus you'll need to wire in a throttle switch or a steering wheel switch and you'll have to get the t piece for the fuel line and extra pipes for fuel and possibly longer lines for the nitrous. will probably end up being the same price as full kit anyway.

i would personally get a full second kit thats made by wizards of nos if you want to do it on the cheap, due to them being british its easy to get spare parts, help and advice.

progressive controllers are more money again, it depends how far you want to go. i personally never bothered with one as i got a stand alone ecu which has nitrous control, but i've never bothered getting it wired in to the ecu either
Quote:
just thought i'd add, the general rule when using nitrous is to go up to a shot thats 50% of the original hp.

eg. a car running 100bhp standard can take up to a 50bhp shot.

so a vts would be a 60bhp shot.

this doesn't mean you can't go above this, its just a general rule, will be slightly different on all cars.
Cheers So Im still curious about how the power is delivered and how you control it? Is there a set time limit? Do you need to be in a certain gear etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzvtr View Post
dont go above a 75 shot without internal changes, and if you really want biger shots think about an alloy intake, the plastic one isnt up to the job, as maddison said uprated clutch is a defo. i 2 have nitrous now only running a 50 shot and this is plent for such a little car, tried 150 lol and all hell broke loose. (rebuild) new c2 vts intake on way.
hahaha Think ill stick to a 50 max
Old 8th July 2009, 16:38   #10
VtsTom
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk4 Anniversary golf. 106 Quiksallye
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!VtsTom is as cool as a cucumber!

With my old vtr it just had a trigger on the throttle body so all i had to was arm the system with the AWESOME fighter plane sytle switch then hit full throttle, the switch was activated and i got the full 50bhp. Used to sound amazing
VtsTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 19:12   #11
maddison_vts
Established Member

you can use it in any gear, 1st gear is a waste of time on a 50bhp shot unless your running sticky tyres on low psi. its not advised to use it in 5th gear as the car doesn't pull as hard unless you already have a lot of power.

its advised to only use it high up the rev range ie 4k at the minimum. you can use it below but you run the risk of getting an inlet backfire which you don't want.

also don't get a car full of mates and go up a hill on nitrous as this again is putting too much load on the engine.

you can use it for as long as you want but after so many seconds the bottle pressure will drop too low and solenoids will get too cold so you won't get much nitrous through which will just cause massive over-fuelling to the point that the car will bog down.

short bursts are where it is best used and thats why i think its better to have it on a button on the steering wheel and not on a thottle switch. (i've got throttle switch but i do want to change it.)

as vtstom said, the noise on nitrous is awesome, hard to describe but its addictive.

2 big downsides to nitrous though...

1. Its gets expensive to refill if you use it often and you probably will because its a bit addictive

2. your car will feel p1ss slow when you turn the nitrous off.
Old 8th July 2009, 21:37   #12
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
you can use it in any gear, 1st gear is a waste of time on a 50bhp shot unless your running sticky tyres on low psi. its not advised to use it in 5th gear as the car doesn't pull as hard unless you already have a lot of power.

its advised to only use it high up the rev range ie 4k at the minimum. you can use it below but you run the risk of getting an inlet backfire which you don't want.

also don't get a car full of mates and go up a hill on nitrous as this again is putting too much load on the engine.

you can use it for as long as you want but after so many seconds the bottle pressure will drop too low and solenoids will get too cold so you won't get much nitrous through which will just cause massive over-fuelling to the point that the car will bog down.

short bursts are where it is best used and thats why i think its better to have it on a button on the steering wheel and not on a thottle switch. (i've got throttle switch but i do want to change it.)

as vtstom said, the noise on nitrous is awesome, hard to describe but its addictive.

2 big downsides to nitrous though...

1. Its gets expensive to refill if you use it often and you probably will because its a bit addictive

2. your car will feel p1ss slow when you turn the nitrous off.
haha yeh cheers Ive got a VTR engine in now but the plan is a VTS conversion as soon as I find a feckin engine. Finding it very very hard. Should I look out for a good Nitrous kit first and fit it to the VTR? You know any good wheel mounted buttons or do you have to buy the full steering wheel with the buttons already on?
Old 8th July 2009, 21:47   #13
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

Dont forget that if used at the wrong time, or if the engine isnt up to it then it can go wrong, and the refills arnt what you would call cheap either.
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:08   #14
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

explain a wrong time and how the engine couldnt be up to it? How much are the refills for 5lbs and 11lbs?
Old 8th July 2009, 22:22   #15
makaveli144
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Alfa Romeo GT
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
makaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant futuremakaveli144 has a brilliant future

How would you go about fitting nos with throttle bodies? Where would you inject it?

I just wondered by the way.
makaveli144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:39   #16
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli144 View Post
How would you go about fitting nos with throttle bodies? Where would you inject it?

I just wondered by the way.
Direct port nitrous kits. Can upgrade your normal kit with this:

http://www.noswizard.com/product_desc.php?id=75
Old 8th July 2009, 22:51   #17
BLACK-VTR
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
BLACK-VTR is on a distinguished road

Im intrested in nos too, I got a VTR so a nos kit of up to 50bhp will do me, how much will it all cost fitted and everything?

My Awesome Progress thread!
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=203253
BLACK-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:57   #18
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Im looking into it. Seems a decent kit is around 500 new. Fitting isnt hard to be honest. Will bang it together with me mate. But I know WON do fitting for 200.

Im looking for second hand kits to be honest. If not the full kit get a second hand bottle then get this upgrade kit:

http://www.noswizard.com/product_desc.php?id=78

So would work out around 400ish. I would love to know where else 400quid could get you 50bhp? 11lb bottle refills are about £40ish, Does anyone know how long they will last?
Old 8th July 2009, 22:59   #19
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

loving this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvGzaTToozg

check the snaking haha, Id be papping my pants
Old 8th July 2009, 23:08   #20
BLACK-VTR
Regular Poster

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
BLACK-VTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DusheR View Post
Im looking into it. Seems a decent kit is around 500 new. Fitting isnt hard to be honest. Will bang it together with me mate. But I know WON do fitting for 200.

Im looking for second hand kits to be honest. If not the full kit get a second hand bottle then get this upgrade kit:

http://www.noswizard.com/product_desc.php?id=78

So would work out around 400ish. I would love to know where else 400quid could get you 50bhp? 11lb bottle refills are about £40ish, Does anyone know how long they will last?
lol yeah i have heard its easy but id be too scared to do it myself because if you mess it up engine go boom!

My Awesome Progress thread!
http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=203253
BLACK-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote