Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 2nd February 2011, 18:55   #141
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

you're missing the point, it's what happens on the day and drivers etc. my car when it was 136bhp was definitely NOT quicker/faster than a 330bhp skyline.

as for nailing tyres in 500 miles with granny driving, my friends 600bhp r32 GTR has tyres lasting longer than that, and he drives like a nutter! I'd say your friends car has issues.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:09   #142
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

So in that respect mod your car to how you think you will drive it.
Hence me with my suspension and brake upgrades, buckets, harnesses and little else.

Buy the best you can afford in the best car you can afford and all will be good...
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:14   #143
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
you're missing the point, it's what happens on the day and drivers etc. my car when it was 136bhp was definitely NOT quicker/faster than a 330bhp skyline.

as for nailing tyres in 500 miles with granny driving, my friends 600bhp r32 GTR has tyres lasting longer than that, and he drives like a nutter! I'd say your friends car has issues.

i agree with some and disagree with other things you say. a supra would make for a much better road car but to make it an efficient track car would need a lot of money (jap bits v expensive) and to maintain it would cost a fortune.

also, as said before a light car with high power to weight will corner/brake/handle/respond better than a heavy car with bigger power.

the only times i would expect a evo/subaru/supra/skyline to be better than a car with more hp/tonne is off the line and top speed (i.e. over 130mph) everywhere else i would put money on the car with light weight and better bhp/tonne.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:12   #144
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): supercharged vts. 1.1 saxo. accord type r
adzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post
So in that respect mod your car to how you think you will drive it.
Hence me with my suspension and brake upgrades, buckets, harnesses and little else.

Buy the best you can afford in the best car you can afford and all will be good...
exactly right.
its ok saying that they are better cars, yes to some people that is correct.
but then what makes a better car.
something that never breaks????? or something that is faster????
saying you will get more power from a bigger better car(skyline, evo, scooby, supra) for less than u will to get it in a saxo is rubbish.
they have better quality parts to start with yes. but in order to double the hp on any car is still gunna cost thousands.
and running cost double aswell.
your car wipes mine out , any day . looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
lady charger ftw in this case
adzvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:35   #145
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
no problem, your limiting factor is really how much you want to spend. a mappable ecu is the best route but also the most expensive one, I beleive the predator is around the £500 mark mapped which is mega cheap for a fully mappable ecu. You want a small turbo for low boost ideally ie GT17.

there are loads of guides on here to turbo a saxo and i've seen a couple recently for doing it on the cheap, have a look about on some of the other threads bud and you'll find loads of info like i said though, budget how much you want to spend and take into account how much work you are willing/capable of doing yourself and then go from there
Thanks for the info mate. I was looking to spend no more than 1.5 - 2k on throttle bodies. So you think with that sort of money I could go for boost and get a lot more power than I would with bodies?

I'll have a little search for the guides and decide which turbo, etc.. to go for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
Turbo FTW.
Looks like it's going that way mate
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:39   #146
martyno
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI
martyno is on a distinguished road

Quote:

k i see what you saying but on that day on more than one occasion a 136hp saxo beat a 330hp skyline off the line.

a 600hp skyline has tyres than last more than 500 ragged miles?? really?
martyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:41   #147
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosVT View Post
Looks like it's going that way mate

Good man.

Last edited by Dave_P; 2nd February 2011 at 20:43.
Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:42   #148
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyno View Post
a 600hp skyline has tyres than last more than 500 ragged miles?? really?
They must be magic. A standard GTR can kill a set of its original boots within a hour no problem.

Last edited by AXracing; 2nd February 2011 at 20:49.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:46   #149
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Loving the pointless discussions going on loool
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:40   #150
adzvtr
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): supercharged vts. 1.1 saxo. accord type r
adzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these partsadzvtr is infamous around these parts

Yes m8. If sourced parts and do alot of the build urself. U could turbo for around 2000. And have more power than bodies. Checkout the stickies about it on here. Plenty info in them
your car wipes mine out , any day . looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia_Bush View Post
lady charger ftw in this case
adzvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:44   #151
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzvtr View Post
Yes m8. If sourced parts and do alot of the build urself. U could turbo for around 2000. And have more power than bodies. Checkout the stickies about it on here. Plenty info in them
Everyone including manufacturers are going turbo hell even F1 is going turbo!
Stand out with some bodies! But yes the turbo will give you more power...and lag...and killed clutches, gearboxes and driveshafts and insurance costs..
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:49   #152
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

lol. and f1 haven't gone itb's.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:50   #153
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

V8's im assuming on some kind of tb's though. Sounds almost the same just plus 4 cylinders lol
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:50   #154
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
in the theory of 'power to weight', my saxo would rinse a 430bhp r32 GTR skyline. In reality, it won't. The skyline would wipe the floor with me.

Some of you guys need to get it into your heads that a saxo/106 won't beat big powered cars just because you don't weigh as much.

A good friend of mine has a 420bhp evo 6, on power to weight and transmission loss again I should be quicker but i'm not.

To add to this, as said previous about '600bhp supras' they are built to take such power, the standard transmission is hench, the 2JZ engine is hench, the driving experience is fantastic and running a supra with such power will be so much more reliable than running a french bag of poo around the roads (to add to it you don't get laughed at by everybody on the roads like you do in a chavvy french hatch) You won't have issues with snapping clutch cables, bending clutch arms, splitting gearbox cases and blowing diffs and you won't have to have group n or even harder engine mounts so you can hear yourself think in it. On top of all this, a car with half the power and half the weight still wouldn't be quicker than it. It may keep with it to a certain point but that will be it.

hardcorejoeboy - make your saxo 160bhp, strip it to 800kg, then go and race a mk2 focus rs. You won't win.

In short what i'm trying to say is, yes you may make a little french hatch quicker or as quick as a standard sports car but you will never make it a better car.
Lol. You really need to go out in a quick saxo or 106. Most people don't laugh at my "shitty French hothatch" at all. Not in the slightest. They're generally on the blunt end of getting their ass handed to them.

A 400 bhp evo is NOT quick. Like I said - go out in a quick 106 and you'll see what all the fuss is about.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:56   #155
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Dude a 400bhp evo is definitely quick! Come on compared to MOST cars on the road my 120bhp vts is quick...
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:01   #156
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Quote:
Dude a 400bhp evo is definitely quick! Come on compared to MOST cars on the road my 120bhp vts is quick...
Your perspective is wrong your comparing it to a 120bhp saxo. Of course it's quick in that comparison. Hell a 2.5 vectra is quick compared to a vts.

When you go out in a quick saxo (and I mean QUICK not 170bhp on itb's) you'll understand. I've been in several 300+ bhp 106's (myown included obviously) and they'd tear a 400bhp evo a new asshole.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:04   #157
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

A vts is quicker to 60 than a vectra lol and 167bhp from a 2.5 V6 is pathetic lol

I know what you mean though mate i'd rather have a fast 106 than a fast evo.
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:10   #158
Rossp
Super Moderator

Quote:
A vts is quicker to 60 than a vectra lol and 167bhp from a 2.5 V6 is pathetic lol

I know what you mean though mate i'd rather have a fast 106 than a fast evo.
Actually the v6 vectra is quicker than a vts 0-60 7.0 vs 7.6
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:15   #159
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Guess it depends which one the specs i was pulling up ranged from 8-10secs
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:20   #160
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

I like the sound of throttlebodies and a lumpy cam.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote