Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 9th April 2012, 17:00   #41
Tom5190
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v Desire
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Tom5190 is on a distinguished road

He gave a list of things you can do for 'FREE' that he believes will help. Really dont see were the problem is?
Old 9th April 2012, 17:08   #42
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): '04 VW Transporter.
MiniGibbo will become famous soon enoughMiniGibbo will become famous soon enough

What like taking the head off and not changing the gasket or fitting bigger injectors that'll just make it overfuel or how about advancing the engine..

Take your pick.
MiniGibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:09   #43
AJDEbon
Banned

Car(s): Saxo max
AJDEbon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGibbo View Post
I just think its wrong when billy bullshitters give bad advice to kids.
Please explain to me how this is bad advice?

Firstly when you can adjust to whichever voltage you like, factory or slightly advanced or even retarded for fuel economy.

Before you mention, "haha retarded" like somebody as immature and as minuscule amount of knowledge would say, it means to turn back or anticlockwise.
AJDEbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:10   #44
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore
Central Counties Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk1 JP4'd VTR, '16 Fabia Monte Carlo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jeffchiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5190 View Post
He gave a list of things you can do for 'FREE' that he believes will help. Really dont see were the problem is?
wouldnt say it was free.

£120- headgasket kit
£54- head skim
£20- valve grinding kit

labour and parts for welding pipe in to your exahsut

and thats assuming you can take off and refit head with out help

adjust the tps by your self

adjusting timing yourself

even without labour you could still be camming your engine for the same price

jeffchiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:12   #45
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
What like taking the head off and not changing the gasket or fitting bigger injectors that'll just make it overfuel or how about advancing the engine..

Take your pick.
I think engines are bit too far in your comprehension.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:13   #46
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!

MiniGibbo will become famous soon enoughMiniGibbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJDEbon View Post
Please explain to me how this is bad advice?

Firstly when you can adjust to whichever voltage you like, factory or slightly advanced or even retarded for fuel economy.

Before you mention, "haha retarded" like somebody as immature and as minuscule amount of knowledge would say, it means to turn back or anticlockwise.
You're advice is as useful as polishing the inlets by pouring sand into the throttle body.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:14   #47
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchiz View Post
wouldnt say it was free.

£120- headgasket kit
£54- head skim
£20- valve grinding kit

labour and parts for welding pipe in to your exahsut

and thats assuming you can take off and refit head with out help

adjust the tps by your self

adjusting timing yourself

even without labour you could still be camming your engine for the same price
camming is a lot more involving

Last edited by AJDEbon; 9th April 2012 at 17:22.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:26   #48
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:

Take your pick.
To much for you to comprehend
Old 9th April 2012, 17:29   #49
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!

"camming" actually aids performance
Old 9th April 2012, 17:39   #50
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
"camming" actually aids performance
There are other methods that aid performance rather than just "cams and throttle bodies", which is glued to your mind.

Investing in a decent quick-shift mechanism can enhance your acceleration, reducing 0-60 time.

read andywiddss1 post: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=267331, you might learn something
Old 9th April 2012, 17:41   #51
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
camming is a lot more involving
it doesnt have to be, most fast road cams idle with oem ecu map, oem tb, std timing marks, oem valve springs/followers, cams can be fitted with no other work involved in next to no time especially in a 16v engine when the only work invovled is slipping the cam belt off, taking the cam covers off, then cam ladders and then the cams are out, empty the followers of oil and re fit everything back together, not trrying to get in an argument here but that can be done in less time than removing the head, having the head skimmed etc

im not saying that stuff is pointless as i did all of that to my vts when fitting cams and bodies, but my headgasket had gone and i wanted my engine and all my seals in good working order

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffchiz For This Useful Post:
Old 9th April 2012, 17:49   #52
MiniGibbo
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
There are other methods that aid performance rather than just "cams and throttle bodies", which is glued to your mind.

Investing in a decent quick-shift mechanism can enhance your acceleration, reducing 0-60 time.

read andywiddss1 post: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=267331, you might learn something
You're comparing a "quick shift" to cams and bodies..

Are you just trollin..?
Old 9th April 2012, 17:52   #53
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
it doesnt have to be, most fast road cams idle with oem ecu map, oem tb, std timing marks, oem valve springs/followers, cams can be fitted with no other work involved in next to no time especially in a 16v engine when the only work invovled is slipping the cam belt off, taking the cam covers off, then cam ladders and then the cams are out, empty the followers of oil and re fit everything back together, not trrying to get in an argument here but that can be done in less time than removing the head, having the head skimmed etc

im not saying that stuff is pointless as i did all of that to my vts when fitting cams and bodies, but my headgasket had gone and i wanted my engine and all my seals in good working order
I can see where your coming from as I was assuming a Re-map would need to be involved, however with cams idling issues will arise (not as bad with fast road cams but the car will still run slightly lumpy and its not a quick fix if you don't like it). At-least with a skimmed rebuilt head like you mentioned all seals should be in good working order. I think other less costly investments can be made before resulting to cams
Old 9th April 2012, 17:58   #54
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
You're comparing a "quick shift" to cams and bodies..

Are you just trollin..?
I wasn't comparing a quick-shift to camshafts or throttle bodies, rather saying it can make a slight improvement like most things I've said.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:01   #55
stevo1600
Established Member

Car(s): cammed 106 flatty
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
stevo1600 is on a distinguished road

No they cannot.

cams and a remap will hold more power than your theory im afraid and are a very good upgrade once breathing is sorted.

infact just having ph3s unmapped will produce more power than any other method in that price range.

exhaust system
induction kit
and cams are the easiest of power gains to anyone mechanically minded who owns a vts.

tweaking about with engine timing and tps voltages is seriously not worth it when you will get hardly any power gain on the tu engines.

Last edited by stevo1600; 9th April 2012 at 18:03. Reason: spelling mistake
stevo1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 18:05   #56
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
I can see where your coming from as I was assuming a Re-map would need to be involved, however with cams idling issues will arise (not as bad with fast road cams but the car will still run slightly lumpy and its not a quick fix if you don't like it). At-least with a skimmed rebuilt head like you mentioned all seals should be in good working order. I think other less costly investments can be made before resulting to cams
99% of people on the forum have fast road cams as they dont want the hassle of changing pistons, my housemate has the new 743 catcam cams he had them unmapped for a couple weeks, idle wasnt pefect and it did stall from time to time but it was perfectly fine to live with

in my eyes its all or nothing, what you suggest is perfectly fine, but i would only do it if im going full out on my engine, id rather just have a slightly worn out engine with breathing mods lol and then buy a new engine for £100 if it gives up ha

Old 9th April 2012, 18:10   #57
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1600 View Post
No they cannot.

cams and a remap will hold more power than your theory im afraid and are a very good upgrade once breathing is sorted.

infact just having ph3s unmapped will produce more power than any other method in that price range.

exhaust system
induction kit
and cams are the easiest of power gains to anyone mechanically minded who owns a vts.

tweaking about with engine timing and tps voltages is seriously not worth it when you will get hardly any power gain on the tu engines.
I don't mean to be offensive in any way but Unfortunately you wouldn't have the knowledge neither the tooling to fully understand tweaking an engine. I used to work for TWR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walkinshaw_Racing and over time found that just Blue-printing an engine can substantially increase power.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:21   #58
JoshFurioBrookes
Frequent Poster
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Silver 6n2 Polo
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
JoshFurioBrookes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't mean to be offensive in any way but Unfortunately you wouldn't have the knowledge neither the tooling to fully understand tweaking an engine. I used to work for TWR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walkinshaw_Racing and over time found that just Blue-printing an engine can substantially increase power.
For all we know you could of been their receptionist.

If there are cheaper and more effective ways of increasing power output of VTS engines than Cams and a Remap then most of Saxperience would be doing it by now...

And by increasing power output effectively I dont mean three bhp.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:21   #59
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
99% of people on the forum have fast road cams as they dont want the hassle of changing pistons, my housemate has the new 743 catcam cams he had them unmapped for a couple weeks, idle wasnt pefect and it did stall from time to time but it was perfectly fine to live with

in my eyes its all or nothing, what you suggest is perfectly fine, but i would only do it if im going full out on my engine, id rather just have a slightly worn out engine with breathing mods lol and then buy a new engine for £100 if it gives up ha
What I suggested mostly involved meticulous re-building and tweaking for low cost and durability. Just making better with what you have I would probably have thought would have been a better option, I know it's not going to give the gains of camshafts and have mentioned several times it's just enhancing what you have.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:28   #60
AJDEbon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFurioBrookes View Post
For all we know you could of been their receptionist.

If there are cheaper and more effective ways of increasing power output of VTS engines than Cams and a Remap then most of Saxperience would be doing it by now...

And by increasing power output effectively I dont mean three bhp.
I think you need to read back in the thread and look at the tips I mentioned, once again these tweaks are making better for what you have and won't add substantial gains but will give the edge on what you've already got.

I think you are another believing I am comparing my minor tuning techniques at low budget and durability to camshafts and remap etc.....

Just looking at your car in a car-park tells it all