Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 16th October 2018, 12:46   #1
skimobeats

skimobeats is on a distinguished road
Default Small metal hourglass shapped bar behind front wheel assembly.

Hi Guys,

So, CV joint went and I am about to order and replace this along with drive shaft. However, on inspecting, the problem seems to have been caused by a snapped bar just to the right of the near side CV joint. That snapped and has then twisted around and damaged the joint.

Its in the shape of a slightly elongated hourglass?? It sits just forward of the CV Joint and attaches to the brake calipers. Never seen one of these on another car.

Anyway, any help telling me what this is and more importantly where to get a replacement would be amazing.
skimobeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 13:18   #2
shannon-ob
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
shannon-ob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimobeats View Post
Hi Guys,

So, CV joint went and I am about to order and replace this along with drive shaft. However, on inspecting, the problem seems to have been caused by a snapped bar just to the right of the near side CV joint. That snapped and has then twisted around and damaged the joint.

Its in the shape of a slightly elongated hourglass?? It sits just forward of the CV Joint and attaches to the brake calipers. Never seen one of these on another car.

Anyway, any help telling me what this is and more importantly where to get a replacement would be amazing.
Does this piece have a hole in top and bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJoee View Post
I wouldn't even trust my Mrs with a toaster, let alone a Golf R.
shannon-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 15:45   #3
skimobeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon-ob View Post
Does this piece have a hole in top and bottom?
It bolts to the brake caliper and the wheel assembly. via two bolts at either end. Cant remember if it has any other holes apart from that but I believe not.

Appologies for the vagueness, currently at work and remembered that this part also needed replacing and tried to find it.

If you are looking straight at the front nearside disk brake and assembly its behind and to the left of the drive shaft. Its Gold/Bronze colour.

Desperately trying to find a picture of the back of the assembly so I can point it out. If not ill have to try and get a pic this evening.
Old 16th October 2018, 21:27   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Just a silly flat piece of metal? it's a brake pad wear indicator. it's not needed.

The idea is you can see how much pad you've got without removing the wheel. It's common for them to rust and snap. sounds like yours has rotated and damaged the rubber on the CV joint letting all the grease out?
Old 16th October 2018, 21:44   #5
skimobeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
Just a silly flat piece of metal? it's a brake pad wear indicator. it's not needed.

The idea is you can see how much pad you've got without removing the wheel. It's common for them to rust and snap. sounds like yours has rotated and damaged the rubber on the CV joint letting all the grease out?

Ahhh that makes sense. Had a look when I got home today, I thought it joined the caliper to the wheel assembly but it's just a bar that spans the caliper, thought it may have been something to do with the pads due to the spacing of the bolts.

Sweet, looks like I'll just take the other side off too.

Yep, it snapped and ripped the CV joint rubber to shreds and had started to do some pretty heavy damaged to the ball.

Sadly, discovered a radiator leak today too and the other drive shaft is looking a little worse for wear. Looks like this is either going to scrap or to be sat in the garage as a long term project.