Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Saxperience Community Related > Saxperience Announcements & Updates

Saxperience Announcements & Updates Saxperience is continually evolving and adapting. Notices introducing / explaining changes to the functionality of the community will be posted within this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 21st October 2008, 22:41   #1
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!
Default Community changes & server troubleshooting.

All,

For a number of weeks now myself and Mark have been trying to troubleshoot the semi-regular, momentary interuptions to server connectivity, which have been happening. We've had a few theories about what might be happening, but so far have been unable to prove anything.

The current server hardware is (on paper) much, much higher spec than should be required to handle the (rapidly) increasing demands of Saxperience, however we are NOT ruling out the fact that server hardware could be the issue!?

So, a systematic approach is going to be used to finally try to get to the bottom of the issues we are experiencing for a couple of 5-30 minute periods of the day. Between the stages, the situation will be monitored and non-problematic changes will be reverted, where appropriate.

Stage 1 - Adjust some additional server settings to reduce DB load. A peak load re-directing service has been initiated to refuse connections when load is VERY high... Hopefully this won't become a nuisance, if it does changes can be made, but this will also confirm a problem - COMPLETED this evening.

Stage 2 - Disable the Pager system.

I am fully aware this will NOT be a popular move, but the facts are that we have had to butcher the pager system to make it run anything remotely like efficiently AND the pager system has known issues - it should have actually been deleted approx. 12 months ago, but I didn't want to do this as I know how useful it is. Hopefully the pager system will prove NOT to be a problem, meaning it can be re-enabled. Be aware - the number of sites that this pager service has killed is large... its a useful, but horrible (from server side) add-on. COMPLETED this evening.

Stage 3 - De-bug VBExperience system and target slow DB queries.

Optimise VBExperience settings to reduce server load at peak times of day. COMPLE - this appears to have resolved the issue.

Stage 4 - Disable iTrader and Arcade systems, forum upgrade and DOS search.

I do not think these mod's will add significant load to the server, but this needs to be tested out. After stage 4 is complete, the community will be a pretty fresh VB install, with a few customisations thrown in. Further investigations into DOS attacks to be made. Forum upgrade to latest patch version to be performed.

Stage 5 - If we are still having connectivity issues after Stage 3 has been completed then an even more advanced server will be purchased with a DIFFERENT provider. The spec of the current server should be more than adequate... but time will tell. Switching to a new server will be a frustration and will be fairly involved, but we've been there before and we aren't afraid to go there again

We should be at a Stage 4 decision point by this coming weekend.

Stage 6 - If after switching to the highest spec server the community can afford, there are still issues, then this will show the issue is NOT hardware related and is a complex coding/config issue, made more of an issue with increased user-load. At this point, its likely the main website will be disabled awaiting v4, and the forum and associated tools will live on... hopefully trouble free.

Stage 7 - Cry, stamp feet, sulk.

I don't think we'll get to stage 7

What Im effectively saying is that we WILL resolve this issue. We've always invested in top quality hardware to make sure we are over-spec'd and that has shown in the site performance we've enjoyed for many years.

Whilst we dont fully understand the issues YET... we will and things will return to normal, if not be even better than before.

So, please bare with us (I know Ive said this for the last few weeks). You may have to go through some changes with features and functionality that you wont like... but we're on the same journey, together.

Lets see where we end up...

Simo

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Old 21st October 2008, 22:44   #2
Ben
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Ecoboost
iTrader Score: 22 (100%)
Ben is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team memberBen is a well respected team member

Noooo don't get rid of itrader!
Old 21st October 2008, 22:48   #3
saxowebby
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!saxowebby is absolutely fabulous!

DONT GET RID OF ITRADER, ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT.

rep has gone, thats whats causing it.
Old 21st October 2008, 22:48   #4
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

You lost me at the title, but please don't hit the reset button
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:03   #5
Giggz
Frequent Poster
East Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giggz is on a distinguished road

Think it would be worth keeping itrader as it does give a slight indication about people your buying or selling items to.
Old 21st October 2008, 23:09   #6
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxowebby View Post
DONT GET RID OF ITRADER, ONLY THING WE HAVE LEFT.

rep has gone, thats whats causing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggz View Post
Think it would be worth keeping itrader as it does give a slight indication about people your buying or selling items to.
Please read my post... IF iTrader is found to cause a server outage issue it will be removed. If it doesn't effect anything (which i suspect will be the case) it will come back.

Im not proposing to remove features I installed just because I want to? Im trying to resolve a bigger issue.

Quote:
Old 21st October 2008, 23:23   #7
Agent-VIP
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Blue mk2 VTR, White MK2 VTS
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!Agent-VIP is absolutely fabulous!

Wasn't trying to be a cock in the other thread, Simo, Btw.. if that's how it came accross (Saying how it was in your best interest to keep the site working fine).. I was simply explaining to SaxoDan, the case.

I have my own servers and have owned single websites in the past pushing 100,000 visitors a day.. and know the stresses of it.. oh boy =(

Hope everything gets fixed and all is working peachy anyways

Good luck with it

andy.kerr
S a x : p e r i e n c e { Click for progress thread }
Old 21st October 2008, 23:40   #8
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-VIP View Post
Wasn't trying to be a cock in the other thread, Simo, Btw.. if that's how it came accross (Saying how it was in your best interest to keep the site working fine).. I was simply explaining to SaxoDan, the case.

I have my own servers and have owned single websites in the past pushing 100,000 visitors a day.. and know the stresses of it.. oh boy =(

Hope everything gets fixed and all is working peachy anyways

Good luck with it
I didnt read your comments as being arsey... but I wanted to clarify to everyone that things ARE being done... I just dont always have the time to post about it.

Im heading on a plane to Germany in 5 hours on business... hope the server hangs on in there

Quote:
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:53   #9
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): '15 Focus ST-2
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!

Not sure what thread to use, but got the DB Error twice today.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:57   #10
Robb
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Panamera
Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!

Theres been so many recently. Like at all times of day. Database errors, logging out. Been really poor recently.

Usually I like to add some constructive criticism but I dont have any lol...
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:34   #11
Spanky
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Spanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team member

Just want to clear somthing up here.

If you take I-Trader off to see if it causes a problem, and it doesn't, when you put it bck on will all our I-Trader scores stil be the same....... or not??
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto_VTR View Post
who does speed, then boast about it. well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto_VTR View Post
and mate, i guarentee ive been faster on a public road than you ever will...
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:54   #12
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_89 View Post
Just want to clear somthing up here.

If you take I-Trader off to see if it causes a problem, and it doesn't, when you put it bck on will all our I-Trader scores stil be the same....... or not??
They will still be the same...

Ive been in Germany since Tuesday night so havent been able to logon until now...

Have there been server issues since Wednesday morning????

Quote:
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:10   #13
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
They will still be the same...

Ive been in Germany since Tuesday night so havent been able to logon until now...

Have there been server issues since Wednesday morning????
you better not have had a sly trip to nurburgring.

Its been playing up non stop mate.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:23   #14
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!11111

What's going on? I just had to kill 5 minutes while the server was busy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
Old 24th October 2008, 08:58   #15
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): '15 Focus ST-2
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!

Yeah, there has been a few database errors - but not as many.
Old 24th October 2008, 09:01   #16
Robb
Saxperience Hardcore!
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Panamera
Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!Robb is absolutely fabulous!

yeh i got the 'server was busy' last night too...
Old 25th October 2008, 22:59   #17
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

had it once today, but keeps going very slow aswell...

normally get a couple of errors a day!
Old 30th October 2008, 01:02   #18
NickB
Established Member
Content ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): none!
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
NickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the roughNickB is a jewel in the rough

must admit simo sax-p seems to have stabled up now buddy!

still not perfect but we have a vast improvement well done

CAR SOLD
Old 30th October 2008, 02:13   #19
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey View Post
had it once today, but keeps going very slow aswell...

normally get a couple of errors a day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
must admit simo sax-p seems to have stabled up now buddy!

still not perfect but we have a vast improvement well done
ZERO connection errors have been reported by the server for three days now, so if you are still seeing errors.. really, please post the text, which is shown in the error message.

Thanks
Simo

Quote:
Old 30th October 2008, 09:27   #20
Giggz
Frequent Poster
East Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giggz is on a distinguished road

Occasionally just get the VB database error page. Seems alot more stable then last week anyway Simo.