Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Saxperience Community Related > Saxperience Announcements & Updates

Saxperience Announcements & Updates Saxperience is continually evolving and adapting. Notices introducing / explaining changes to the functionality of the community will be posted within this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 1st February 2010, 01:35   #1
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!
Default Solution for Progress 'Threads'?

Everyone wants to write about their progress with their car, but often you dont want to see hundreds of comments about what you've written. Often when reading, you dont want to sift through hundreds of comments to get to the next update.

A while ago, I launched the Saxperience Blog to allow you to put your 'progress threads' in that section. The main advantages of this are: -

- Your updates are stored as separate entries, each of which can be skipped between using previous/next type links, instead of scrolling through LONG forum threads.

- You can decide whether people are allowed to leave comments or not.

- If you dont like someones comment, YOU have the ability to delete it yourself. You have moderator permissions for YOUR Blog.

- You can setup multiple categories to keep your postings organised. So if you have a red car and a black car, setup two categories, so people can follow each car's progress separately.

- You can setup custom side bar links and pages... so you can link to things like technical specification info, your E-Garage page, your photobucket album, Saxperience member albums of your car pics, etc, etc.

- Your Blog is automatically added to your User profile pages, so people can access your progress blogs in many ways.

The Blog was launched quite some time ago and its features/benefits listed, but for some reason people have chosen not to exploit its uses. Trust me, IF you use this for your cars 'progress thread', it will be much easier for both YOU and the READER to navigate through your progress.

Currently only Premium Members can author a Blog, but if there is a lot of interest and this sorts out the current 'progress thread' issues, maybe this can change?

So that you can see a live demo, I've re-typed my VTS's history article and put it into Blog-style. Since I've done this, I've realised I've got loads of updates I haven't blogged... I need to get that sorted over the next few days.

>>> Take a look at this here <<<

Here's a screen shot for those of you who can't be bothered looking

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Old 1st February 2010, 01:41   #2
Paulp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

I'm just used to the progress threads if i'm honest.

Its not that the blogs function isn't 'better' its just habbit to click on the threads instead.

The blogs do look alot easier and well set out. Saves doing contents page like i have on my 'thread'.

Might have to have a look into it, but i'm not a fan of change
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Old 1st February 2010, 01:41   #3
bluenotesmiley
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): White MkII VTS Black MkII VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
bluenotesmiley can only hope to improve

Good idea. Is there anyway you can list the blogs in a forum format within the actual forum itself? I think that's probably why people don't use it as there is no hub that lists everyones progress showing the ones that have been updated recently.
Old 1st February 2010, 01:47   #4
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Resisting change isn't healthy

The Blogs show updates in just the same way as the forum does. Recently updated blogs appear at the top. You can subscribe to blogs so you get notifications when people update them.

There are loads of ways to integrate the blogs more with the forum, but Ive never done this, as basically nobody is using the Blogs. lol.

If a handful of members were willing to make the leap and try this out, Im sure most people will start to see the benefits. We can then develop the Blog area to give you want you want out of it. Or... leave it as it is and it'll get removed as part of an update later this year as it's tumble weed central.

Quote:
Old 1st February 2010, 01:50   #5
bluenotesmiley
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): White MkII VTS Black MkII VTS
bluenotesmiley can only hope to improve

I think if it was integrated directly with the forum most people would probably use it. It just seems as though it is external to the forum at the moment.
Old 1st February 2010, 02:15   #6
wigansaxo
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): citroen saxo 1.1 forte(sold) sierra sapphire 1.8 v
wigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura aboutwigansaxo has a spectacular aura about

sounds good, will give it ago soon, i really like how you can moderate your own blog and decide who comments, imo you should be able to moderate your own threads to a certin point like when a mod locks there thread in the forsale section when they have sold something, would stop people bumping up 6 mounth old threads asking if its still forsale,
butprobs another shit idea by me lol
Old 1st February 2010, 09:02   #7
J222JRA
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Westfield
J222JRA is on a distinguished road

Hmmm......maybe its time i give the blogs system a try.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:05   #8
Daniel09
Established Member

Car(s): slammed VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Daniel09 is on a distinguished road

i agree 100% with you simo
Old 1st February 2010, 10:29   #9
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

I use the blog system more for everyday things lol

I just have my prog thread with a contents at the start
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:55   #10
yorkie
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): gen7 toyota celica
yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!yorkie is absolutely fabulous!

i will look into when i have more time to do it lol soon tho lol
Old 1st February 2010, 12:16   #11
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

I have mine up and running since i joined but the blogs don't get anywhere near the views that a thread would. maybe needs advertising more that a blog is for your progress reports and the threads are for the rest of it all... only problem is alot of people have threads now so it'll take a while to migrate all there info over.

I think its an awesome idea though and mine i up for people to view, links in the sig.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:08   #12
MR_N
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
MR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of lightMR_N is a glorious beacon of light

Was going to start my new progress thread in a few days but i may have to do this instead.

FCS 2011 SPECIAL AWARD - TRAX 2011 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - FCS 2012 SHOW AND SHINER WINNER - TRAX 2012 SHOW AND SHINE RUNNER UP - TRAX 2013 BEST SAXO
Old 1st February 2010, 19:22   #13
Chr15
Saxperience Addict
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): ITB'd Saxo VTS & Mazda 6 MPS
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Chr15 has a spectacular aura aboutChr15 has a spectacular aura aboutChr15 has a spectacular aura about

Mine doesnt get '100s of posts' as I dont ASW the titles like some people do.

Then again, I havnt done much like some have lol
Old 1st February 2010, 20:47   #14
Simop
Administrator

Well, I'll leave this one upto you peeps. The features are clearly better in the blog section for progress-type threads, but if you dont want to use it, it will never get popular.

If 'some' people do begin to use it more, I'll integrate blog updates and a few other bits into the main forum... but if its not used, this will just be clutter we can do without.

Thanks for reading

Quote:
Old 1st February 2010, 20:50   #15
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

I think it would be more popular with it on the main forum somehow. Its just something ese i overlook and only rmember when someone mentions it.

Possible to do a week trial or somthing?
Old 1st February 2010, 20:56   #16
djmartin
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): BMW 3.0 X3,toyota mr2 & Skyline R33
djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!

tbh I cant eve nsee where your supposed to open up a blog lol. I know it says Blog at teh top next to FAQ but I click it and I see nowhere saying start your blog now (sort of button) all I see is latest entries then a list of other blogs.
thank you mr skyline man
Old 1st February 2010, 20:58   #17
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmartin View Post
tbh I cant eve nsee where your supposed to open up a blog lol. I know it says Blog at teh top next to FAQ but I click it and I see nowhere saying start your blog now (sort of button) all I see is latest entries then a list of other blogs.
IRC its for the prem members, us working class mambers cant afford to buy into the blog scheme
Old 1st February 2010, 21:03   #18
djmartin
Saxperience Post Whore
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): BMW 3.0 X3,toyota mr2 & Skyline R33
djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!djmartin is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
IRC its for the prem members, us working class mambers cant afford to buy into the blog scheme
good point db_sax

so why did you simo post it here lol
post it in the prem area HAHA!

or is this an insentive to make members sign upto premier or renewel there membership .

personally you should just edit the progress section so we members can all moderate our own progress thread. i've already had to ask Craig to delete some posts from my progress thread and also asked James once my car is fully done to delete my progress thread so I can start a new one with all the pics and video's in the first post so people dont have to go through page after page trying to find random updated pictures!

it comes down to logic and common sence really!
thank you mr skyline man
Old 1st February 2010, 21:08   #19
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmartin View Post
good point db_sax

so why did you simo post it here lol
post it in the prem area HAHA!

or is this an insentive to make members sign upto premier or renewel there membership .

personally you should just edit the progress section so we members can all moderate our own progress thread. i've already had to ask Craig to delete some posts from my progress thread and also asked James once my car is fully done to delete my progress thread so I can start a new one with all the pics and video's in the first post so people dont have to go through page after page trying to find random updated pictures!

it comes down to logic and common sence really!
Yeh think its an insentive!

I read a good point someone brought up the other day, like you clikc a box or somthing and all posts other than the OP are hidden. Only solves half the problem, but would be decent for us non prem members i guess?
Old 1st February 2010, 21:10   #20
Morgzc
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Anglia Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 92 Mx5
Morgzc is on a distinguished road

Think it would be good if you could intergrate this into the progress threads. Like on facebook pages where you can see all comments or just selected ones from the thread author, you could select posts containing updates and have a button on the page to view them only or all comments?
Closed Thread