Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 31st December 2014, 13:07   #1
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road
Default Phone contracts

Basically I'm not happy with my current contract at all.

Contract is with 3.
i-Phone 4S 8GB (white)
500mins
5000 texts
Unlimited interwebs

I pay £31 p/m excluding any additional charges. My girlfriend pays the same amount, with the same tarrif, with the same options for an i-Phone 5 16GB.
I'm debating going down to the shop today to complain and query whether they can do anything about it. Have never done this before so don't know what will come from it, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has done a similar thing?
To mention also, my phone constantly crashes, reboots, takes forever to open apps, and also I have no space left at all (currently don't have any songs either, and about 9 apps; instagram, facebook, messenger, banking etc, so yeah). I'm still on IOS 7 also as I just don't have the memory to update it.
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 13:23   #2
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJoee View Post
Basically I'm not happy with my current contract at all.

Contract is with 3.
i-Phone 4S 8GB (white)
500mins
5000 texts
Unlimited interwebs

I pay £31 p/m excluding any additional charges. My girlfriend pays the same amount, with the same tarrif, with the same options for an i-Phone 5 16GB.
I'm debating going down to the shop today to complain and query whether they can do anything about it. Have never done this before so don't know what will come from it, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has done a similar thing?
To mention also, my phone constantly crashes, reboots, takes forever to open apps, and also I have no space left at all (currently don't have any songs either, and about 9 apps; instagram, facebook, messenger, banking etc, so yeah). I'm still on IOS 7 also as I just don't have the memory to update it.
To simplify, what is it that you aren't happy with regarding the contract? I imagine it's down to it not being a particularly brilliant bundle for the cash, and you having an older handset?

Your phone sounds like it needs a factory reset anyway and a good restore to delete temporary files and generally freshen it up, either way, you're probably better off sticking with iOS 7, the 4S isn't particuarly fast.

As far as what can you do, how long is left on your current contract?

Best advice I can give you, don't get a contract. It's far cheaper not doing so. Buy the handset outright, and get a PAYG sim. If you can't afford the handset in a lump, put the purchase on a credit card and aggressively pay it off. £12 a month will get you a giffgaff sim with 3GB internet, 500 minutes and unlimited texts, the top end £18 will give you unlimited internet, unlimited texts, and 2k minutes. You're not locked into a contract, you can change tariff depending on usage at will, and it's less monthly than a contract phone.

No brainer.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 13:29   #3
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Unless you feel they miss sold you the contract originally you are rather limited on what you can do. Most providers will allow you to pay off your contract ( normally is a rip-off ) early or switch plans to some existent ( normally no better value ). Unfortunately you signed a legally binding contract so unless they unlawfully sold you that contract the options are rather limited.

If on the other hand your contract has expired or is about to expire I would recommend getting out of the hole contract thing like D4mJT said. People think there getting a deal but more often then not there having your eyes out. I have used GiffGaff for a few years now and cant fault it. Sadly there not as good value as they where a year ago you used to get unlimited data for only £12 a mount ( no contract ) I now pay £15 and think new users have to pay £18. But still a darn sight cheaper compared to most 24 month contracts.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 13:34   #4
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

As a quick fag packet example, say you rock over to O2's website and grab the 16GB iPhone 6 on a £48 a month 2 year contract which gives you 5GB data allowance a month.

Over the 24 months, that £48 monthly charge amounts to £1152.

Now, buy the phone yourself from Apple for £539, and then say you grab a free giffgaff sim and top up £15 a month for 24 months, you've spent an additional £360, so £899 all in.

In the same 2 year period, you've saved yourself £253, you can reduce your monthly top up at any point should you need to, or increase it, and you're not tied into a monthly payment.

Contracts FTL
Old 31st December 2014, 13:44   #5
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Basically that my Mrs took her contract out a few weeks before I took mine out (beginning of Feb iirc), and she pays the same rate as me for a better phone, with more memory. I don't mind paying £31 for a phone in general, but feel I'm being a bit ripped off due to the fact I could've got a more up to date phone.

I was tempted to factory reset the other day, but it's just hassle with storing all of my pictures/data on my pc in the time being, for what could maybe improve my phones speed. The difference in loading times between the two phones as of this week was ridiculous. We tested snapchat for instance which isn't anything complicated and is a simple app, but you would think otherwise from my phones point of view...

Think it was a 24 month contract so until Feb 2016 lol.

I've heard good things about GiffGaff, can remember when they were just starting out and the data plan with minutes/texts was unbeatable.

I'm going to try and see if I can switch plans about, or just be polite and explain my frustration to see if they can offer me any sort of deal what so ever. I wouldn't want to opt out of the contract either way, in the end it's still a pretty good phone and aesthetically I prefer it to the i-Phone 5, just it lacks memory and speed on times.
Old 31st December 2014, 13:46   #6
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
As a quick fag packet example, say you rock over to O2's website and grab the 16GB iPhone 6 on a £48 a month 2 year contract which gives you 5GB data allowance a month.

Over the 24 months, that £48 monthly charge amounts to £1152.

Now, buy the phone yourself from Apple for £539, and then say you grab a free giffgaff sim and top up £15 a month for 24 months, you've spent an additional £360, so £899 all in.

In the same 2 year period, you've saved yourself £253, you can reduce your monthly top up at any point should you need to, or increase it, and you're not tied into a monthly payment.

Contracts FTL
Next time I buy a phone, you're coming with me.

That's really not a bad shout at all, suppose I'm not the only one who hasn't thought of doing so mind
Old 31st December 2014, 13:51   #7
deano_123
Established Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road

Iphone 4, you pikey
Old 31st December 2014, 13:57   #8
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
Iphone 4, you pikey
I was told it's processor was like a cam'd vts, they lied
Old 31st December 2014, 15:06   #9
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

You're unhappy because YOU signed a contract for an inferior phone? Oway man, you can't complain about that.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 15:19   #10
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
You're unhappy because YOU signed a contract for an inferior phone? Oway man, you can't complain about that.
I did lol at that.

It's 2014, in February even my grandad knew an iPhone 4S was shit.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:30   #11
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
I did lol at that.

It's 2014, in February even my grandad knew an iPhone 4S was shit.
Well it's like us both buying the same car but for different prices, then the other being upset because they didn't shop around... Not exactly the sellers problem is it if you take them up on what they're offering, it's not their job to offer you the best deal and make sure you're getting everything as cheap as you can be.

Is this what you meant earlier?
Old 31st December 2014, 15:39   #12
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Well it's like us both buying the same car but for different prices, then the other being upset because they didn't shop around... Not exactly the sellers problem is it if you take them up on what they're offering, it's not their job to offer you the best deal and make sure you're getting everything as cheap as you can be.

Is this what you meant earlier?
I did shop around, and it wasn't cheaper elsewhere for what I wanted. The newer models were all more expensive too.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:40   #13
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
I did shop around, and it wasn't cheaper elsewhere for what I wanted. The newer models were all more expensive too.
Yet your lass managed it. Good one mate, go and chop your balls off.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:42   #14
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Yet your lass managed it. Good one mate, go and chop your balls off.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:55   #15
deano_123
Established Member

Car(s): Range Rover Sport
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
deano_123 is on a distinguished road

Take it on chin (like Muz does) and move on, tomorow is a new year. Although, you'll still have a peasant phone.
Old 31st December 2014, 16:03   #16
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_123 View Post
Take it on chin (like Muz does) and move on, tomorow is a new year. Although, you'll still have a peasant phone.
I'll just restore it for now and store my pics on the computer. Then when the i-Phone 7 is out, I'll buy the i-Phone 5.

trolol
Old 1st January 2015, 14:23   #17
josh11490
Established Member

Car(s): Clio 182 Daily, 106 GTi Track Project
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
josh11490 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll just restore it for now and store my pics on the computer. Then when the i-Phone 7 is out, I'll buy the i-Phone 5.

trolol

Or when the next one comes out, I'll sell you my 64gb 6+?
Old 1st January 2015, 15:55   #18
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh11490 View Post
Or when the next one comes out, I'll sell you my 64gb 6+?
Swap you some 708's
Old 3rd January 2015, 12:33   #19
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
query whether they can do anything about it. Have never done this before so don't know what will come from it, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has done a similar thing?
Successfully cancelled my mum's contract with 3 yesterday. Dropping out, straight to answerphone and she 's not even getting the messages and texts, phone unhooks from the network while displaying the network, etc. No problems on other networks including roaming from outside the UK. She went back to the shop well within the 14 days cooling off period and was told no by one of the shops female assistants. That was over a month ago and she just told me, that's when I stepped in.

She was was given the runaround by kevin the phone customer service indian who's sorry about every ten seconds, passed us onto the next indian, passed us onto the next indian, passed us onto the next indian, then after an hour of them being sorry, Apurichard said he couldn't do anything except if I paid 66 quid for cancellation fees etc, that's when I hung up on him. I don't give my bank details to some unknown who lives on the other side of the planet. He called back to moan that I hung up on him so I hung up again. Had a total 3 stern chats with the local shop manager who finally agreed to apply some "discretion" after he figured I would be a major pain. Be polite but firm, if that doesn't work then it's trading standards/watchdog/communications ombudsman.

In a nutshell: there is no law about this but you can always argue tescos don't sell empty bottles of milk. As in you pay for a product/service you're not getting. Do not waste your time calling the indians, they're just a bunch of useless cunts.

Last edited by Manu; 3rd January 2015 at 12:40.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 13:11   #20
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Fuck contracts right in the pussy.

Buy one out right. Jobs a gooden.
Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote